What is it with me/ my bird's and mealworm the ungrateful little shit's never eat them when i put them in.. last year the Redpoll's ate the head of the odd one..not too worry the wild bird's are happy with them.. :D

the sparrows here love em, i have a feeder full out dailey along with seed/nigger.nuts.sunflower hearts, i am beginning to think i am feeding the whole of the Midlands next generation of sparrows :laugh::laugh:

Millet; Live, or dried? I'm assuming live then?

Paul; Lend me your sparrows! I'll ring the f**king lot of them! :laugh: (Been going great guns on them, round here, this last few weeks too. If it's there? They'll try eating it!)

Live Pete the dry one's surely can't have as much nutrition in them.. :hmm: .. on the sparrow subject i have a large colony nesting in the ivy on the back of the house.. i have put terraced nest boxes up for them but they prefer the ivy.. and they love moist dry dog food.. :thumbs:

Millet; Live, or dried? I'm assuming live then?

Paul; Lend me your sparrows! I'll ring the f**king lot of them! :laugh: (Been going great guns on them, round here, this last few weeks too. If it's there? They'll try eating it!)

here is whitey feeding hers :laugh:

post-896-0-44404200-1403110562_thumb.jpg

post-896-0-19484100-1403110571_thumb.jpg

post-896-0-79513400-1403110587_thumb.jpg

post-896-0-76500700-1403110600_thumb.jpg

post-896-0-97972200-1403110616_thumb.jpg

post-896-0-38663200-1403110636_thumb.jpg

Sparrows!

Been putting out a pint of mixed seed, 2 hangers with a mix of peanuts and suet pellets with mealworms.

Have 20/30 sparrows most days feeding from them.

They use house Martin nests ans some lofts around here.

Ive put a terraced next box up in march.

One pair has moved in and are on there second clutch.

Love the sparrows.

• Like 2

It's good to see a good population of House Sparrow's Tuffty.. :thumbs: not too long ago through all the house modernising there nesting habitat's where destroyed and there number's where on the decline the intensive farming did not help either.. it's good to see them on the up again.. :yes:

• Like 2

A couple of years ago they started to decline around here.

Since then seed or nuts are available 24/7.

Will also put up another terrace box for next season but not untill the summer is over.

Changing birds lol

Yellow hammers,just round the corner to me is an old dairy farm.

Well when I say old I mean it aint a diary farm anymore.

Well there was a hedge row along the road by the farm.

There was a colony of yellow hammers.

There must of been a good 30 pair along this hedgerow.

And I used to spend hours watching them when I was a kid.

Now there is no hedge row.

Its gone completely

And replaced by fencing and horses...

Edited by TUFFTY

It's the same plight that applies for the skylark's the intensive farming through out the country is leaving very little set aside stubble fields.. they are harvested ploughed and sown within a couple of month.. it's got to have a knock on effect for the wildlife.. when i was younger i could come across several skylark nest when out mooching... i have never seen a bird or a nest for probably 10/ 15yr's..near to me..on a good note they is a Grey Partridge breeding program up Northumberland way and i do hear the odd skylark.. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Dried mealworms are rubbish for the birds as all there is a dried outter skin and most small birds won't eat it and big birds don't digest it it just passes through them.Don't waste your money and buy other things instead :victory: .

• Like 1