One Last Throw Of The Dice!

Hi R T I was talking to my keeper friend at the weekend and we was talking about this subject I told him I was thinking about doing the course on game keeping he said it would show commitment and that I was seriouse about the job of keepering But did say if he didnt know me he would be wondering why at such a late date in my life and that I would have to really work hard to put a case up against young people just out of school whos done nothing els but keepering

He says that when he puts a ad for a underkeeper he gets at least 50 applications that go something like I bought a ferret last week and really fancy becoming a keeper of course they dont get a interview but you get the idea so if your qualified at least it takes you out of that category.

In recent years ive noticed a few head keepers high moor that are very young around 30 years old and asked him why he put this down to a land agent that likes young head keepers and this seems to be the trend at the moment This also makes me see that the qualification route is right for me because if you look at it like this its the keeper that interviews you and its his choice to pick you or not but if he had 20 applicants under say 25 qualified then picks a nearly 40 year old with none im sure the land agent and bosses would be wondering why even though ive worked along side and supported the estate for the last 15 years I dont take anything for granted or expect a passage into the job because of this

It goes without saying experience is worth masses and the more you do the better I dont know your circumstances but theres part time courses and funding available and if your out of work and go for the full time option its free for apprenticeships theres no funding as your classed as working but this is only what ive read on the website courses start in september and I would give your nearest college a call im unsure at this moment what it will cost for me

Good luck with your quest and dont ever give up on your dreams they keep us going I hope you get sorted and if you pm me a contact and I can help you I will atb 2.8

:thumbs:

I did look into college last year but I couldn't get any funding nor could I afford it - a catch 22 situation! Luckily this year I have a job and have been working my bollocks off for the past 6 months, I would say I have enough £ to last me a year through college plus i'd probably transfer to the nearest McDonald's and work there part time to keep the money coming in.

It is probably going to be the way forward for me, let me know if you go / how you're finding it etc :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Had a interview at askern bryham with brian last week I can see the dilemma with the cost of the course but they will do what they can to help seek advice from student support and your local careers office

I was advised that the level 3 diploma would suit 2 years course or 90% credit on one year 4 days in college one day on placement which you have to find this could be a shoot day so it could be paid beating ;) which may help also buses are run from distance for those that need it in all a very pleasant do just felt a bit young walking on to campus with all those baby faced young uns

They offer good training courses brush cutter chainsaw safe loading fire arms safety ect ect they do the training you pay for the test around 100 quid but would be around 600 for the full thing so worth paying