Chris87 yes easy to get hold of I found the metal plates in the garage but you could get from any hardwear store needs to be atleast 6mm maybe more thick checker plate will do and threaded bar I got from B&Q I've seen in farm suppliers too cheaper there just put together over a a drum and pull the plates together a bottle jack will work but you need somthing for the jack to press againsed have you made somthing already ?

no havent made anything yet, just trowing ideas around in my head at the minute. The metal plates should be handy enough get its just the threadrd bar set up im not sure about where to get , price, ect . Money is tight so just trying to do it at cheaply as possable

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HMP.Crumlin rd jail belfast 1970s ....brewed in fire exthinquishers lol.

Eighteen types of Apple went into it ! I let some of my two year old trees keep a couple of Apple's on them so that I could make a small batch. I worked it out yesterday that after this year's two y

Just mixed a fruit cider. ..first attempt. If all goes well should work out at 40p a pint at 6% . Anyone on here recommend owt for a beginner to try? Atb sesku

Posted Images

I would go to a scrap yard and ask for some of the longest m10 bolts they have or a commercial hgv garage will def have somthing floating around in there scrap bin prob get it for free if not try a farm supply store will be your cheapest option hgv garage may have some checker plate aswell hope that helps

• 1 month later...

I find pineapple turbo cider makes a nice tipple, cant be more simple to make!! Pineapple juice apple juice and off it goes.

ye ive read it turns out very nice. never tried it but will have a go once ive got through the 20 litres sitting here.

• 2 months later...

Time to restart this thread maybe?

A question I've been wondering about is sweetness, all cider left to ferment out will become dry yes? But you buy cider that is medium or sweet whatever, so these must have been back sweetened, but it's not mentioned on the label.

I have planted a lot of Apple trees, bitter sweet, full sweet etc etc, but surely all will ferment out to dry?

What are you experience with this please?

A question I've been wondering about is sweetness, all cider left to ferment out will become dry yes? But you buy cider that is medium or sweet whatever, so these must have been back sweetened, but it's not mentioned on the label.

I have planted a lot of Apple trees, bitter sweet, full sweet etc etc, but surely all will ferment out to dry?

sweetener canderel or something must be saccharin

yes if left most will ferment till dry. 2 options spring to mind. you can back sweeten with an artificial sweetener or you can stop the ferment early by adding potassium sorbate. if stopping the ferment by adding PS you wont be able to carb it up as normal. it will need force carbing but you can always drink it still like scrumpy

• 2 weeks later...

Don't rush to bottle.

My 15 gallons for this year is still brewing away (albeit slower than it was)and will continue to do so into the new year.

When it's finished I'll rack it off again and taste it in case I need to adjust the sweetness. It'll then get 3 months to mature.

Ah that's interesting Matt!, I've only got five demis on the go that have been going since 11/10/14 , racked off lees seven days later, stopped bubbling within a fortnight, it's now in a cool dark room.

So you don't think I should bottle for a while yet? It's my first time making cider so trying to read between the massively varying ideas on how to proceed.

Cheers, Jamie.

Ah that's interesting Matt!, I've only got five demis on the go that have been going since 11/10/14 , racked off lees seven days later, stopped bubbling within a fortnight, it's now in a cool dark room.

So you don't think I should bottle for a while yet? It's my first time making cider so trying to read between the massively varying ideas on how to proceed.

Cheers, Jamie.

Personally, no, I'd not bottle it yet.

Keep an airlock on, and wait.

Don't forget the old boys used to say that you shouldn't touch it until you hear the first cuckoo in the spring.

I was always told to leave it for at least as long as it took to brew to mature. The stuff I pressed at Michaelmas has been racked once and is still chugging (OK, a glug a few times a day) and will be racked again after Christmas.

If you find yourself in North Devon give me a bell and you can see my set up.