• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HMP.Crumlin rd jail belfast 1970s ....brewed in fire exthinquishers lol.

Eighteen types of Apple went into it ! I let some of my two year old trees keep a couple of Apple's on them so that I could make a small batch. I worked it out yesterday that after this year's two y

Just mixed a fruit cider. ..first attempt. If all goes well should work out at 40p a pint at 6% . Anyone on here recommend owt for a beginner to try? Atb sesku

Posted Images

I'd love to get a cider kit up and running :thumbs:

It's not difficult or expensive :yes:

However, cider kits are nowhere near as good as the 'real deal'.... :no:

i pass a shop every day in life that sells the kits i have to try and call in and get started matt but how do you go about the real stuff

Hiya Matt,

I used youngs cider yeast, the og was 1052, when I took it off the sediment after seven days, it was 1006. Haven't tested it since but even in the cool room I've put it in its still possibly doing a bubble a day.

Cheers,

Jamie.

Edited by mole trapper

The real stuff?

Pick apples

Scrat apples

Press apples

Add yeast

Wait

Wait some more

Drink.

There are three types of cider commonly made. Kit cider; concentrated apple juice, add sugar and yeast. Turbo cider; buy cheap apple juice, add yeast and Real cider; as above.

There is lot's of info online; don't rush to buy anything without researching first :yes:

Hiya Matt,

I used youngs cider yeast, the oh was 1052, when I took it off the sediment after seven days it was 1006. Haven't tested it since but even in the cool room I've put it in its still possibly doing a bubble a day.

Cheers,

Jamie.

That's a good OG Jamie.

I use the Youngs yeast myself; it's good stuff and not over priced. If it's still fermenting then leave it well alone.

Eighteen types of Apple went into it ! I let some of my two year old trees keep a couple of Apple's on them so that I could make a small batch.

I worked it out yesterday that after this year's two year olds get planted there will be a 106 Apple trees here with 86 varieties, 50 of which are classed as vintage cider varieties.

Need to get good at this cider making real quick, five years from now there's going to be a serious amount of Apple's here. Lol.

• Like 3

I've seen a few programmes and read a bit about making cider and was led to believe that to make genuine cider you didn't add anything to the crushed apple juice ... You just bottled it and waited ??? ........

Apple juice in a fermenting bin will probably start fermenting on its own without adding yeast. There are many strains of yeast in the air and on the apples but it can be hit and miss. If you want to be sure of a good fermentation with yeast that will survive once alcohol is being produced then it would be wise to add one made for the job. It's always fun to experiment though and some wild yeasts can give you some interesting additional flavours but it would be a shame to lose a bin of juice if it got infected.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Bit early, but I've just opened the first bottle of cider I've ever made. Not very carbonated, just a hint, flavour is complex, what definitely came through is a banana flavour which one of the apples I scrounged smelt and tasted strongly of.

Will try to leave the rest of the batch to mature.