• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HMP.Crumlin rd jail belfast 1970s ....brewed in fire exthinquishers lol.

Eighteen types of Apple went into it ! I let some of my two year old trees keep a couple of Apple's on them so that I could make a small batch. I worked it out yesterday that after this year's two y

Just mixed a fruit cider. ..first attempt. If all goes well should work out at 40p a pint at 6% . Anyone on here recommend owt for a beginner to try? Atb sesku

Posted Images

ye get yourself a hydrometer. you can test when it finished fermenting. if you dont and bottle it too early you have potential bottle bombs. it make an awful mess

cheers antg. .already got one. .should be ready to bottle in 5-7 days but I'll use the hydrometer before I bottle up. .

I brew at least 40 pints of beer a week, and the occasional cider kit.

For the cider, I use the 'On the Rocks' kits which are really easy. I bottle my cider in the 500ml PET bottles that are used for fizzy water. Mine cost 27p each from Lidl.

I run two barrels of beer (usually Mild) and then 300 odd glass bottles of best bitter.

Best bits of kit I've bought was a bottle washer and drying tree, and a device called the 'Little bottler'.

Just about to put some elderflower champagne on, of which I'll only make a dozen bottles, and then I'll add some sugar and champagne yeast and make something a little stronger in a bigger quantity.

In terms of beer kits, I really like the Hambledon Bard dried kits, but I've also got a John Bull on the go at the moment.

If you need any help just ask :thumbs:

Its a great time of year for the old home brew,I need to get my elderflower away now

The funny thing is that four or five days ago there were hardly any elderflowers out here. I put two lots of beer on and suddenly there are elderflowers everywhere!

The beer is flying away, so hopefully I'll have some brewing space in a few days. I'm also looking forward to making some elderberry wine later in the year.

Anyone else do a bit of brewing?

I've just helped Hampshire Wasp get set up for cider; this thread has reminded me that I must ring him and see how it's going.

Its a great time of year for the old home brew,I need to get my elderflower away now

The funny thing is that four or five days ago there were hardly any elderflowers out here. I put two lots of beer on and suddenly there are elderflowers everywhere!

The beer is flying away, so hopefully I'll have some brewing space in a few days. I'm also looking forward to making some elderberry wine later in the year.

Anyone else do a bit of brewing?

I've just helped Hampshire Wasp get set up for cider; this thread has reminded me that I must ring him and see how it's going.

I used to love brewing but i spent a lot of time running all over the spot with my work, and it all fell by wayside last yr I put a few jars on ie elderflower and elderberry,and did a few beer brew;s only from kit though,I am hoping this yr to get some more going I love the stuff,I always wanted a press but never got around to it,

I'm quite lucky because one of my good mates is a professional brewer.

He scorns my kits, but that's OK by me...... lol

He does however, have a water powered press, so this autumn will see me taking van loads of apples up to Wiltshire to see him.

I have a cunning plan to brew cider in 5 gallon containers (empty perecetic acid containers). I'm going to cut a hole in the screw tops and fit an airlock, and once it's fermented, switch over to a cap with a tap and lay it on it's side to mature.

It could be an interesting project providing work doesn't get in the way of it. I'll keep you updated.

Would this thread be better in the 'Living off the Land' section?

That would vary.

I would be very careful. The Rocks kits are pretty good to be honest. As I said to Hants Wasp last week, there has only been two occasions that I've been totally marmalized on homebrew, and on both occasions that stuff was involved.

I'm not scientifically minded, so if it was me, I would do it by trial and error. The OtR kits currently use 1.3kg of sugar; you could try making it 1.5, but personally I wouldn't.

The other thing I use is crystalised sugar drops when I bottle up. Much easier than arsing about with funnels and teaspoons of sugar.

Are you using brewing dextrose or granulated?