12ft/pound air rifle

daz1976

A medium weight .22 pellet (16gr) fired from a 12ftlb rifle thats putting out (for arguments sake) 11.5 ftlb,will have dropped 17 inches after 50 yards.While i was exagerating "saying 4 feet" it'll be well over 2 feet of drop at 68 yards.

An average height man (5,9) will walk a yard when taking a large stride.If anyone is confident they can hit a 10p coin,at 68 yards with a sub 12ftlb,.22 springer,then pace it out,or better still measure it with a tape,put it on video,and lets see. :thumbs:

Whoever said it...

50yards----68yards........Springer?.....Bipod??????

I can't deny I would like to see that video too. We can all make big shots sometimes, but SOMETIMES is the important bit. Shots like this, with these tools, should not to be considered under any normal hunting circumstances. Another very important thing to remember is IN THE FIELD!!!! We can all measure 50 yards on a range..take 20 shots to zero and then, with a bit of luck, fire a couple in the right place...how often do you get the chance to do that in the field against live quarry. Please do not say luck has nothing to do with it......ANY 50yard or more shot you make with a 12ft lb Springer will have an element of luck to it.

i dont really think luck has anything to do with it, although a can see where your coming from but ermm if you know what your gun should be doin at this distance well you know what to do with the scope although i .Had my xl out today and hitting a bottle at 63 yds 8 out of 10 times (before wasting 40 odd pellets seeing how high an low its going) , it is possible to hit something but the qeustion is would it kill something? does any one know of what sort of impact or power the pellet would be hitting an object at this distance? i must say a 68yard rook?although head shot. blumming unbeleivable! i must disagree untill this is proven :hmm:

Hi Thorburnlad

I'm not sure weather you are agreeing or not but that is the point I'm making.....zero and shoot at 63 yards a dozen times and you will hit it a few times (head shot every one??). BUT if you are out in the field and you think it is 63 yards but it is either 60 or 66 you will miss a bunnies head completely as a 12ft lb is falling so fast at this distance. We should all know our tools exceptionally well but even when we do there are many other factors that come into play effecting where the pellet lands, the gradient, the atmospherics, temperature etc. Bunny or crow doesn't usually stick around for you to have a few zeroing shots! Even the top target shooters on set distances don't always make the shot. You only need about 3 or 4 ft lb to stop a rabbit (if you put it in exactly the right place), most air rifles will still have this much energy left at 60-65 yards.

hi Deker

i must say i agree with you. You will not zero at 68 yds and hit every time (as i found out lol) but it is possible to hit a rabbit right in the head if you aim correctly. I must say i wouldnt attempt this on a live target but it is quite rewarding when you hear the thud of the bottle at that sort of range with quite a small bottle. i will attemt a shot on a tennis ball at this range tomorrow and i will give exact distance and exact groupings to sort of say what is possible and what isnt. i am greatful for the info as 3-4 ft lb is quite a lot. the pellet doesnt really seem to lose to much energy over that distance. have you heard of 12ft lb air rifles killing boar?do you think an air rifle could kill a fox at 30 yds in the temple of the head? slight argument at college! :boxing: thanks

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A medium weight .22 pellet (16gr) fired from a 12ftlb rifle thats putting out (for arguments sake) 11.5 ftlb,will have dropped 17 inches after 50 yards.While i was exagerating "saying 4 feet" it'll be well over 2 feet of drop at 68 yards.

An average height man (5,9) will walk a yard when taking a large stride.If anyone is confident they can hit a 10p coin,at 68 yards with a sub 12ftlb,.22 springer,then pace it out,or better still measure it with a tape,put it on video,and lets see. :thumbs:

Whoever said it...

50yards----68yards........Springer?.....Bipod??????

I can't deny I would like to see that video too. We can all make big shots sometimes, but SOMETIMES is the important bit. Shots like this, with these tools, should not to be considered under any normal hunting circumstances. Another very important thing to remember is IN THE FIELD!!!! We can all measure 50 yards on a range..take 20 shots to zero and then, with a bit of luck, fire a couple in the right place...how often do you get the chance to do that in the field against live quarry. Please do not say luck has nothing to do with it......ANY 50yard or more shot you make with a 12ft lb Springer will have an element of luck to it.

i dont really think luck has anything to do with it, although a can see where your coming from but ermm if you know what your gun should be doin at this distance well you know what to do with the scope although i .Had my xl out today and hitting a bottle at 63 yds 8 out of 10 times (before wasting 40 odd pellets seeing how high an low its going) , it is possible to hit something but the qeustion is would it kill something? does any one know of what sort of impact or power the pellet would be hitting an object at this distance? i must say a 68yard rook?although head shot. blumming unbeleivable! i must disagree untill this is proven :hmm:

Hi Thorburnlad

I'm not sure weather you are agreeing or not but that is the point I'm making.....zero and shoot at 63 yards a dozen times and you will hit it a few times (head shot every one??). BUT if you are out in the field and you think it is 63 yards but it is either 60 or 66 you will miss a bunnies head completely as a 12ft lb is falling so fast at this distance. We should all know our tools exceptionally well but even when we do there are many other factors that come into play effecting where the pellet lands, the gradient, the atmospherics, temperature etc. Bunny or crow doesn't usually stick around for you to have a few zeroing shots! Even the top target shooters on set distances don't always make the shot. You only need about 3 or 4 ft lb to stop a rabbit (if you put it in exactly the right place), most air rifles will still have this much energy left at 60-65 yards.

hi Deker

i must say i agree with you. You will not zero at 68 yds and hit every time (as i found out lol) but it is possible to hit a rabbit right in the head if you aim correctly. I must say i wouldnt attempt this on a live target but it is quite rewarding when you hear the thud of the bottle at that sort of range with quite a small bottle. i will attemt a shot on a tennis ball at this range tomorrow and i will give exact distance and exact groupings to sort of say what is possible and what isnt. i am greatful for the info as 3-4 ft lb is quite a lot. the pellet doesnt really seem to lose to much energy over that distance. have you heard of 12ft lb air rifles killing boar?do you think an air rifle could kill a fox at 30 yds in the temple of the head? slight argument at college! :boxing: thanks

We could go on a long way with this debate.

OK...we know Air Rifles (12ft lb) have killed people so it is possible they could also kill a boar....but let us be reasonable for a minute, an adult male boar can easily weigh 150KG..you would need to be VERY lucky to kill a boar with an air rifle and I do not suggest you consider it...you would probably be prosecuted under the cruelty to animals laws. The Home Office recommend a minimum of a .270 for boar, this will be in the order of 2400ft lb..interestingly that works out at 200 times the energy of the air rifle. Many people would suggest a minimum of .308 for boar, its around the same power but arrives with a bigger thump!

Fox...there are several people on this site who will confirm that a 12ft lb Air rifle can humanely despatch a captive fox point blank. Now....... 30 yards...I honestly don't know, I guess you are down to about 7 maybe 8 ft lb, I suspect it is possible but you are playing the percentages, and it is not a shot to try! I have seen a fox taken at 80yards with exactly this shot and it droped on the spot, however, this was with a 26ft lb .22 which at that distance would be delivering around 15-16ft lb...and therefore still much more power than a 12 ft lb at the muzzle.

DisclaimerI am going to have to be careful here because loads of people will glance at this and shout without reading it properly so please note that I do not condone, suggest or encourage you to try...in fact I would strongly suggest you do not try. This debate on fox and boar is about what is potentialy possible. It's possible that I could win the lottery.

Edited by Deker