12ft/pound air rifle

daz1976

Why does it frustrate you that people want to know how to get more power out of their guns?

Because it's the airgun world equivalent of "Nice Dog! How's It Bred, Mate???"

Exactly. And it seems that more power is an excuse for lack of fieldcraft.

:clapper: spot on mate. Good fieldcraft is alot more important than having a good gun. You can more or less kill a rabbit by hitting it on the head with the the arse end of the gun, if your field skills are good enough!

The best advice to give to a newcomer is to practice, practice, practice. You can never do enough.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also a rook at 68yards (head shot).

That had to be some fluke of a shot ! :whistling:

cant beat a bit of pork pie!!!! someones a bad judge of range, most pellets start tumbling at that range, did you have a range finder with you before you took the shot?

Tumbling :icon_eek: A .22 pellet fired from a legal limit springer,would have dropped about 4 feet after 68 yards.Then you can add windage to the equation,if its true its one almighty feckin fluke.I'm guessing you would need to aim 4 feet high and then off to one side or other to allow for any wind,to hit a feckin target the size of a penny.Like you say mate " you can't beat a bit of pork pie" :thumbs:

think this idiot you`ve been talking to is telling you porkey pies mate . the ideal range for a standard 12ft lbs rifle even pre charged is around 35 40 yards certainly no 100yards been shooting 20 odd years and would`nt entertain a shot like that ok you might get lucky once in a blue moon and shot one at 50 55 yards when conditions are perfect but as i said if im honest its 95%pure luck. take no notice and shoot responseably and get within killing range.

• 1 month later...
think this idiot you`ve been talking to is telling you porkey pies mate . the ideal range for a standard 12ft lbs rifle even pre charged is around 35 40 yards certainly no 100yards been shooting 20 odd years and would`nt entertain a shot like that ok you might get lucky once in a blue moon and shot one at 50 55 yards when conditions are perfect but as i said if im honest its 95%pure luck. take no notice and shoot responseably and get within killing range.

You never take a shot if your depending on luck. I can cleanly dispatch of a rabbit at 50 yards with a 10 mph wind. I have BSA Lightning XL and i can say it certaintly kills a rabbit at 50 yds without a real struggle although i have practised upon practised with my gun hitting tennis balls at that range i can say i would never even entertain a shot over 55yds. 68yds is quite far but i would say this shot is possible if Bipod was used and conditions were corrrect and had a experiance with a gun at ranges close to this.Its nothing to do with luck if you know what your guns capabilities are. Maximum Range i would say at an absoloute stop would be 60yds

Edited by Thorburnlad

You never take a shot if your depending on luck. I can cleanly dispatch of a rabbit at 50 yards with a 10 mph wind. I have BSA Lightning XL and i can say it certaintly kills a rabbit at 50 yds without a real struggle although i have practised upon practised with my gun hitting tennis balls at that range i can say i would never even entertain a shot over 55yds. 68yds is quite far but i would say this shot is possible if Bipod was used and conditions were corrrect and had a experiance with a gun at ranges close to this.Its nothing to do with luck if you know what your guns capabilities are. Maximum Range i would say at an absoloute stop would be 60yds

I thought this one was dead and buried but that will start it all off again for sure.

I thought this one was dead and buried but that will start it all off again for sure.

Hmmm edit

with .177 its possible to shot 70yards due to its flatter tradectory and being less suceptable to cross winds, i have achieved some reasonable results at this sort of distance with my AAs200, but thats on paper not a live target as i wouldnt rely on the penatration at that range doing its job, live quarrey i tend to stick to arround 30yards as i know where i stand at that range, with a .22 i would never entertain any live quarrey at more than 35 yards 40 at a push,and that would have to be in ideal conditions. the only airgun ive even managed to get a worthwhile result ( and some exception shots) with at 80+yards was a seriously modified fac hw100 but that rifle was indeed special. as stated before anyone who claims 100Yard shots with a 12ftp rifle is either a liar, idiot, useless distance judge or very very lucky. however ... benifit of the doubt ...... id say lets see them repeat such results

lee ;)

a .22 will of dropped about 17 inches at 68 yards, if I could hit a 10p piece at that range I'd be in olympics!!!

And as for 100yd shots we just tried it shooting at a galvanised tank and had to aim over 8ft to get it ringing!

Edited by bullmastiff

A medium weight .22 pellet (16gr) fired from a 12ftlb rifle thats putting out (for arguments sake) 11.5 ftlb,will have dropped 17 inches after 50 yards.While i was exagerating "saying 4 feet" it'll be well over 2 feet of drop at 68 yards.

An average height man (5,9) will walk a yard when taking a large stride.If anyone is confident they can hit a 10p coin,at 68 yards with a sub 12ftlb,.22 springer,then pace it out,or better still measure it with a tape,put it on video,and lets see. :thumbs:

A medium weight .22 pellet (16gr) fired from a 12ftlb rifle thats putting out (for arguments sake) 11.5 ftlb,will have dropped 17 inches after 50 yards.While i was exagerating "saying 4 feet" it'll be well over 2 feet of drop at 68 yards.

An average height man (5,9) will walk a yard when taking a large stride.If anyone is confident they can hit a 10p coin,at 68 yards with a sub 12ftlb,.22 springer,then pace it out,or better still measure it with a tape,put it on video,and lets see. :thumbs:

Whoever said it...

50yards----68yards........Springer?.....Bipod??????

I can't deny I would like to see that video too. We can all make big shots sometimes, but SOMETIMES is the important bit. Shots like this, with these tools, should not to be considered under any normal hunting circumstances. Another very important thing to remember is IN THE FIELD!!!! We can all measure 50 yards on a range..take 20 shots to zero and then, with a bit of luck, fire a couple in the right place...how often do you get the chance to do that in the field against live quarry. Please do not say luck has nothing to do with it......ANY 50yard or more shot you make with a 12ft lb Springer will have an element of luck to it.

Edited by Deker

A 100 yd shot with a 12/ftlb rifle :hmm: its a bit like the one armed fisherman"IT WAS THAT BIG" :laugh: shooting live quarry 30-40 yds depending on calibre,weather conditions & competence of the shooter.As previously quoted good fieldcraft,understanding of your quarry & shooting grounds will get you a lot more success than just aim,fire & hope you cleanly hit your target at extreme ranges....

It really frustrates me that every discussion about airguns comes down to "how far?" or "how do I get more power?"

Daz, your mate that told you that is an idiot. I'd suggest you tell him to shut up until he has a clue. A 12ftlbs air rifle is capable of killing all suitable airgun quarry, when hit in the right place, at up to 35 yards. 40 at a push. Personally, I try an keep to 25-30.

I don't care about AIRGUNNER saying he's shot a rabbit at 68 yards. I don't doubt that he did it, but the fact that he even attempted it shows me that he's ignorant as sin.

If you want to shoot bunnies at that range, get a rimmy!

Rimfire's are cheaper than a lot of todays air rifles. They shoot flatter for longer distances and without the recoil of a springer or the need to keep filling up a pcp. For small vermin outdoors get a rimfire, for small vermin in barns or out to about 30 yards get an air rifle :thumbs:

Whoever said it...

I can't deny I would like to see that video too. We can all make big shots sometimes, but SOMETIMES is the important bit. Shots like this, with these tools, should not to be considered under any normal hunting circumstances. Another very important thing to remember is IN THE FIELD!!!! We can all measure 50 yards on a range..take 20 shots to zero and then, with a bit of luck, fire a couple in the right place...how often do you get the chance to do that in the field against live quarry. Please do not say luck has nothing to do with it......ANY 50yard or more shot you make with a 12ft lb Springer will have an element of luck to it.

i dont really think luck has anything to do with it, although a can see where your coming from but ermm if you know what your gun should be doin at this distance well you know what to do with the scope although i .Had my xl out today and hitting a bottle at 63 yds 8 out of 10 times (before wasting 40 odd pellets seeing how high an low its going) , it is possible to hit something but the qeustion is would it kill something? does any one know of what sort of impact or power the pellet would be hitting an object at this distance? i must say a 68yard rook?although head shot. blumming unbeleivable! i must disagree untill this is proven :hmm:

Whoever said it...

i dont really think luck has anything to do with it, although a can see where your coming from but ermm if you know what your gun should be doin at this distance well you know what to do with the scope although i .Had my xl out today and hitting a bottle at 63 yds 8 out of 10 times (before wasting 40 odd pellets seeing how high an low its going) , it is possible to hit something but the qeustion is would it kill something? does any one know of what sort of impact or power the pellet would be hitting an object at this distance? i must say a 68yard rook?although head shot. blumming unbeleivable! i must disagree untill this is proven :hmm:

Hi Thorburnlad

I'm not sure weather you are agreeing or not but that is the point I'm making.....zero and shoot at 63 yards a dozen times and you will hit it a few times (head shot every one??). BUT if you are out in the field and you think it is 63 yards but it is either 60 or 66 you will miss a bunnies head completely as a 12ft lb is falling so fast at this distance. We should all know our tools exceptionally well but even when we do there are many other factors that come into play effecting where the pellet lands, the gradient, the atmospherics, temperature etc. Bunny or crow doesn't usually stick around for you to have a few zeroing shots! Even the top target shooters on set distances don't always make the shot. You only need about 3 or 4 ft lb to stop a rabbit (if you put it in exactly the right place), most air rifles will still have this much energy left at 60-65 yards.