Electronic Bird Callers Illegal In Uk

We'll I've recently purchased a Bluetooth speaker to boost sound when calling foxes using the ihunt app on iPhone.

The app also has crow, rook, magpie.... Thinking id be ok yo use in field also, I've found out today it's illegal and not possible in the uk. I'm relatively new to decoying, but I'm very suprised I've not been updated about this from experienced friends or on this forum etc.

I'm struggling to see logic behind this when standard mouth calls are legal, and it's also legal to call foxes in using them, can anyone give me any further explanations so I fully understand reasons behind ?

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is a pet peeve for all hunters really.

Not sure you can use electronic calls for foxes, you might be able to, but best to double check that.

With birds, it's about the GL and Wildlife act. An electronic call can be an exact match that will attract loads of birds, and the killing will be indiscriminate. While the GL specifies the need for only problem birds to be dealt with.

For manual calls, there is still a level of skill involved, granted not a huge amount for pigeon calls, but that element makes it more acceptable. Try the Acme crow decoy if you don't think calls require skill and practice. Also, mating calls will be the most effective, and are probably the hardest to imitate. Thus more of the skill element becomes clearer.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I think it's just keeping it to tradition and the older way of using calls is a well practiced method in the eyes of the law.... I'd just be grateful for that alone, than, not using anything at all.

Besides, what's wrong with using calls these days? Recently purchased a shepherds whistle and it's a bitch to use, there's some skill to using some of these calls and whistles and it keeps shops going when you purchase one.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer it this way.

White