hello all,i need some advice .our shoot gave me some ducks to put down this year but i am struggling to get the little buggers to fly .i know reared ducks are notorious for not flying very well early on but i cant seem to get mine off the pond.it is a woodland pond which is quite open and probably 40 yds by 30 yds and all the do is swim to the middle and quack with displeasure at me!i have tried whistling them off the pond but they wont have any of it :wallbash: even though they are on the whistle well at feed time.any advice would be welcomed.they wont be started on til we start on the pheasants in november :signthankspin:

hello all,i need some advice .our shoot gave me some ducks to put down this year but i am struggling to get the little buggers to fly .i know reared ducks are notorious for not flying very well early on but i cant seem to get mine off the pond.it is a woodland pond which is quite open and probably 40 yds by 30 yds and all the do is swim to the middle and quack with displeasure at me!i have tried whistling them off the pond but they wont have any of it :wallbash: even though they are on the whistle well at feed time.any advice would be welcomed.they wont be started on til we start on the pheasants in november :signthankspin:

I wouldnt be to bothered the dogs will get them up

I have never done it but a pond where I have been shooting once before the keeper moves the place where the duck are fed further away from the pond up a slope bit by bit each day. But I must stress I have never done it so it may be b*llocks but it might get someone to reply that does know. Good luck.

we're havin the same problems at the moment even with the dogs in the pond....sullen across the pond and men in the pond with flags they just drop right in beside ye !

had the same problem last year....then they just went of there own accord !

try the above if it doesnt work try stayin away for a couple of days then sneak up and fire a couple of shotts into them !

Ducks will go one of 2 ways IMO - they will lift and rise out of gunshot when you're still 700 yards away or you have to get into the water and throw them up. There doesn't seem to be a logical answer to the problem either. I did have some success feeding them out onto stubble or onto a smaller pond that you could get them up off, and standing the guns between food and home but ducks will be ducks!!

OTC

Guest ragumup

Iv done ducks for years and there's two ways to get them up, the way i do is to feed them away from the pond maybe a field away, just pour say ,15 or 20 bags of corn the distance you wont to feed them from the pond and then just leave them to get on with it, but keep checking and when they get to where the corn ends say 300 yards away just feed them there and ONLY there , don't make the mistake of thinking they are starving as on some ponds they find food for days 200 ducks i give a 25 kg bag a day one hundred a bucket a day ,and then just go to the pond with a flag start cracking it and run at them and don't give the ducks time to THINK , half the battle is to keep them sharp so they don't get to fat, years ago i used to have army of beaters trying to get them up with me nowadays i do it all myself :thumbs::whistling:

The other SURE FIRE way to get them going if the first way didn't work which it will, if you do it right and this way will normally make them out of range when they start flying so you wont shoot a lot of them during the season is to go to the pond crack a flag and then using a 22 rim fire not a shotgun and make sure you do it right shoot one duck in the HEAD this is very important, then leave the next day do the same buy the third day watch them fly like wild ducks trust me i don't do it this way as they fly to high but if your desperate :wallbash:

Iv done ducks for years and there's two ways to get them up, the way i do is to feed them away from the pond maybe a field away, just pour say ,15 or 20 bags of corn the distance you wont to feed them from the pond and then just leave them to get on with it, but keep checking and when they get to where the corn ends say 300 yards away just feed them there and ONLY there , don't make the mistake of thinking they are starving as on some ponds they find food for days 200 ducks i give a 25 kg bag a day one hundred a bucket a day ,and then just go to the pond with a flag start cracking it and run at them and don't give the ducks time to THINK , half the battle is to keep them sharp so they don't get to fat, years ago i used to have army of beaters trying to get them up with me nowadays i do it all myself :thumbs::whistling:

The other SURE FIRE way to get them going if the first way didn't work which it will, if you do it right and this way will normally make them out of range when they start flying so you wont shoot a lot of them during the season is to go to the pond crack a flag and then using a 22 rim fire not a shotgun and make sure you do it right shoot one duck in the HEAD this is very important, then leave the next day do the same buy the third day watch them fly like wild ducks trust me i don't do it this way as they fly to high but if your desperate :wallbash:

Thats brilliant bit of advise there, I had about 150 ducks on a pond a couple of years ago and they just would not fly but I had never heard of the .22 in the head thing.