• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 burnie69

burnie69

Subscribed Member

• Donator
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:17 pm

20k is the price a game farmer told me what one unit costs today. Thats if its the same unit we are talking about. Looks like a metal container? There having one at the cla this year with 2000 day olds in. As for timings dont they stay in em until 7 weeks of age or is it a totally different rearing system were talking about?

#17 jackboy

jackboy

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:38 pm

Pretty sure it's the same . http://www.thegmbrooder.co.uk/

#18 burnie69

burnie69

Subscribed Member

• Donator
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:51 am

Yeah that's it . So its a 8x4 metre shed so in our terms its a 24ft x 12ft rearing shed putting 6000 birds in. Same size as a Sedgemoor or Pukka pen shed. Never heard anyone putting 6000 birds in a Sedge moor or Pukka. So they've done there cost savings on this amount of birds going in a shed. If I tripled the amount of birds I put in a 8x8 or 12 x12 on paper i'd make massive saving. Truth of the matter i'd be bloody daft and have a lot more hassle then what its worth. Also you push em into a heated night shelter at 3 weeks so you can re-fill the shed . So the new chicks can't be let out into the night shelter until the older chicks having been taken to wood so they'll be at least 3 weeks of age before they've seen grass. That's if there is any grass because you've already run 6000 birds through the runs. Like I said on paper its looks fantastic and if you put 2000 chicks in like a sedgemoor or similar i'm sure they've would rear a great poult. But 6000 chicks come on there way out on there numbers. Or have I missed read something. 

#19 jackboy

jackboy

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:04 am

The thing is it's completely different though. Under floor heating. So no cold spots. Completely control ventilation. Bitting birds at 3 weeks is no problem to me. Usually do them a couple of days earlier. To get it done on a weekend. Being a one man band I can get a hand on a weekend. But mine never see grass or straw as has been the case in this whether before 3 weeks anyway. The night shelters on the gm are slated if I remember correctly.

#20 Lab

Lab

Wasnt the carling....it was the tennents and the scrumpy.honest

• Donator
  • 23,645 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:24 am

Some of my larger batches of birds were done in sheds of 16x32 sheds...1800 birds in them and never seen grass till 5 and a half weeks. Plastic sheeting on floor to keep it completely dry, 2 global 5 heaters, insulated roofs.
Bitted at 3 weeks and quality birds.

#21 burnie69

burnie69

Subscribed Member

• Donator
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:33 pm

What 6000 chicks in a 24 x 12 shed in acceptable? All mine are bitted at 3 weeks no problem. My problem is the fact they state 6000 day old chick in at one time. Is this a good code of pratice to follow. I think the idea of the shed is great but the numbers and costings are way out thats all.

#22 jackboy

jackboy

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:30 pm

Told me he was gonna 8000 in his next lot! It seems a lot to me as well. Have you ever seem birds in one of these sheds burnie?

#23 burnie69

burnie69

Subscribed Member

• Donator
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:08 pm

If I'm honest jack no . But I saw the shed a the CLA last year and my mate trialled the unit but I cant remember how many they put in em to rear. Think 2000 springs to mind I'll ring him and see. As I said there's talk of them putting 2000 day old chicks in one at the CLA this year . Personally I think is wrong moving 4-5 day old chicks after the event is a recipe for disaster. If you want to talk to my mate let me know I could ask him to have a chat if your interested in the unit . This way its 1st hand and not off the seller. As for the underfloor heating bit I think itsca major step forward in game rearing.

#24 jackboy

jackboy

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:19 pm

Yes mate sound if I could have a chat with him.

#25 Grinder

Grinder

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:33 pm

2000 they hold... To be honest I don't think they are worth the money... I build 12x12 sheds for our field from ply... Insulted roof and the birds rear well in them 1000 a shed... We have full insulated sheds too ..(king span) the wooden sheds have less mortality in them.. Chicks settle better in them.. 4% losses in the wooden ones 7% in king span ones.... 3k for king span sheds 650 quid for the wooden with king span roof... And use 4 bottles of gas for wooden 3 for fully insulated sheds... 37 quid a shed extra I can live with... As for moving chicks at 4-5 days old ( starve out time) is a huge no no...plenty of chick trays and clean water ... Although we do put in linkospectre for the first 2 days to give them a good start...

#26 jackboy

jackboy

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:08 pm

If they only hold 2000 birds they are definitely not worth the money. But if they hold 6000 as proposed and are able to be run through multiple times. In my eyes. They will be very profitable about saving sheds.

#27 danw

danw

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:08 am

If they only hold 2000 birds they are definitely not worth the money. But if they hold 6000 as proposed and are able to be run through multiple times. In my eyes. They will be very profitable about saving sheds.

Says it holds 6000 in the first part then they are moved and the next 6000 go in if it's true and a bird can be raised for £1.40 I could right off the cost of a shed in the first year maybe I won't rush to the boss with that idea though :icon_redface:

#28 jackboy

jackboy

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:43 am

You could or game farming wise make I nice lot of money with the shed on drip. I costed it out at 1.55 per bird putting 18000 down and selling 16000. The md gave me the price of 1.41 I think it was.

#29 jackboy

jackboy

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:44 am

Without the cost of the shed that is

#30 Lab

Lab

Wasnt the carling....it was the tennents and the scrumpy.honest

• Donator
  • 23,645 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:18 am

You could or game farming wise make I nice lot of money with the shed on drip. I costed it out at 1.55 per bird putting 18000 down and selling 16000. The md gave me the price of 1.41 I think it was.

Sounds good on paper. You can forget those percentages if you don't know what your doing. Its a long hard learning curve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users