Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:35 pm

Anyone seen them in action? Thoughts?

#2 burnie69

burnie69

Subscribed Member

• Donator
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:15 pm

My mate did the trial for them. Doesn't look alot of room in them to me. If moneys no object they wouldn't be a badthing butIif you work to a budget like most of us I think the 8x8,12x12 , Sedgemoor sheds etc will be in a more realistic price range.

#3 jackboy

jackboy

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:13 pm

How much are they? How many birds would you say they'd take? Tbh I like the sound of them.

#4 jackboy

jackboy

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:39 am

36k! He recons he can produce a poult for 1.40 odd! If that's right there will be changes to the industry for sure.

#5 burnie69

burnie69

Subscribed Member

• Donator
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:30 pm

A average chick is 75p each so 65p to get a poult to 7 weeks . That my friend takes some believing. Your only saving on the price of gas using them. Gas this season is about £37 a bottle. A 12 x12 shed takes about 4 bottles that alone can't be enough of a saving to rearva poult for £1.40

#6 burnie69

burnie69

Subscribed Member

• Donator
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:42 pm

If this isn't including the price of the chick just the rearing cost. Just remember has he taken his labour in to account when he's priced this up. Custom rearing is about the £2.75p per bird to 7 weeks if you supply the chick. Like I said £1.40p tskes some believing.
  • Grinder likes this

#7 CharlieSlade

CharlieSlade

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:16 pm

In the adverts for them it says they're 90% reduction in heating and labour costs which I doubt is actually true

#8 jackboy

jackboy

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:56 pm

The only thing you can do is go and seen them in action talk to the few people that are currently using them and judge whether it's a risk worth taking.

#9 burnie69

burnie69

Subscribed Member

• Donator
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:47 pm

I already have. By the way the costing on these units are done on using them 3 times in a season. Not good code of practice by any ones standard.

#10 jackboy

jackboy

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:23 pm

Does it work or not? I know the night shelters are heated so can't see a problem there when birds are bitted. But after that?

#11 burnie69

burnie69

Subscribed Member

• Donator
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:56 pm

Sheds being used 3 times a season. Have you ever reared pheasants? Twice is bad enough. 3 times is impossible. Costings don't add up 20k a unit it would tske years tonpwy for its self.

#12 jackboy

jackboy

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:35 pm

Lol what's a pheasant? I have done two lots through a sedgemoor. Plastic floors ripped up clean feeders drinkers in etc and that was fine tbh. Not ideal but no problems. However I take it this she'd has been design to work with multiple lots through it? No?

#13 jackboy

jackboy

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:43 pm

The way I see it. If it is all it's cracked up to be. I have not seen for myself but will do as soon as can be arranged. 18000 birds a season through a shed justifies it's cost. To do they in sedgemoors would take 10 sheds ( being run through once which is what they are designed for. And at the recommended stocking density) well the cost of the sheds alone adds up then runs nets feeders drinkers extra labour extra gas. Then take in the longevity of the sheds. I don't rate sedgemoors in this respect at all. The gm has a 10 year guarantee

#14 burnie69

burnie69

Subscribed Member

• Donator
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:49 pm

Unless youve got a use for a pheasant whats ready to shoot in December. How would putting 3 lots of poults through one unit work. Tbh I work and rear my birds to a standard where I don't think using sheds more than once a season is needed. Filling sheds up twice or more is a recipe for disaster in my eyes. Either get more sheds or rear less birds. My point is 20k on a unit when others sheds the same size range from 2-5k depending on the make. How can this be profitable. £1.40 to rear a bird not a chance in my eyes.

#15 jackboy

jackboy

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:55 pm

Where's 20k come from? Think they are designed to be lots three weeks apart. Week 20 week 23 week 26 etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users