Shock Collars

Hi all,

Jus wondered peoples views on shock collars, are they necessary for training young adults for certain things, not jus lurchers? has anyone ever used 1 of these and were they effective?

has anyone ever used one with no results?

cheers,

Tom Heavy

yea true that,

my dog aint fully broken to live stock and I wouldn't trust him near sheep off the lead, so it may have to be done...

use a long line mate before you resort to the shock collar,atb mc

Used properly in the right hands.......you get results........but I hate to think how many aren't used in the dogs best interest......use only good quality collars not cheap rubbish.

Good collars are adjustable from a very low tingle to get the dogs attention.......and are not cruel at all, but set it on high......to so call teach a dog a lesson is cruel and not the way they are intended to be used.

Have a look on you tube and do a lot of reading on them if you are thinking of using one.

Petsafe make some good quality ones.

Edited by wuyang
  • Like 3

yea true that,

my dog aint fully broken to live stock and I wouldn't trust him near sheep off the lead, so it may have to be done...

Just get one,no need to worry about sheep.Your dogs will soon learn,same with recall.Good luck

Are you 100% in control of yourself at all times? Do you ever lose your temper with a dog? Do you understand why the dog isn't OK with sheep? If the answer is 'NO' to any of these questions then don't get a shock collar: they should only be used by someone who is in complete control of their emotions when training a dog, who can read the dog correctly, and who will not shock the dog out of temper when things go pear shaped. Also, you have to condition the dog to the collar: it's not just a matter of putting it on and zapping the dog when it chases a sheep. There is a training programme which you must follow if the treatment is to be successful.

i used one on my bulldog as she started to bark in her crate, 5.30 every morn! no reason at all if i got up saw her then went back to bed no prob. put on the collar first bark just pressed the vibrate button from bed and she stopped barking, no problem now. would not use one for any reason when i was actually with the dog as i think that takes away your own authority and is a bit of a cop out.

• Like 1

i have never had to use a shock collar, i like to get my dogs right before they are even old enough to think about causing problems, but i have seen them used by other folks. two very skilled trainers i watched got very good results in a very short time, and two clowns i sawfecked their dogs up severely in a very short time! there are many things to consider, and probably the most important is split-second timing. in my opinion, if you can find an alternative then try that first, and if you are at your wits end then find a skilled, experienced trainer to talk you throught the process or better still show you how to use one

• Like 1

Are you 100% in control of yourself at all times? Do you ever lose your temper with a dog? Do you understand why the dog isn't OK with sheep? If the answer is 'NO' to any of these questions then don't get a shock collar: they should only be used by someone who is in complete control of their emotions when training a dog, who can read the dog correctly, and who will not shock the dog out of temper when things go pear shaped. Also, you have to condition the dog to the collar: it's not just a matter of putting it on and zapping the dog when it chases a sheep. There is a training programme which you must follow if the treatment is to be successful.

true that :thumbs: , ive seen it back fire on a owner, was beating when one of the guns young lab, kept going after the odd rabbit on a drive, he give it full wack with the collar , and dog pissed off 4 mile away by a main road .Got the dog back but the owner had to use the collar not so harsh or don't bother with it , :yes:

cheers all for input, all comments regarded...

i wouldn't even dream of using the collar on full whack, i feel like i know my dog inside out, he's my best friend. I have never kicked or beat him to intentionally harm him 'teaching a lesson' not my style in the slightest

I reckon i am more than capable of using such devices in a controlled and necessary manner. My main issue is live stock or more specific sheep. No bother at all with cows, horse and don't blame him. I have used long string and lead behind ears but still wouldn't trust off the lead. Although he is very steady, if he were to give chase and catch 1 it could be the end of him!!!

I may only need to use it a couple of times but i intend to spend around £100 for one that is new or half that of a second hand 1...

Carraghs Gem Would you consider selling yours ??

I know it is a total last resort, but as he is my first ever dog i am bound to make mistakes, if i wasn't a dog man i wouldn't be trying to amend my mistakes now.

happy hunting

Tom Heavy