Oh Dear, Oh Dear, Please Help! Big Scope Issue!

Urm...I've made a major oops.

Had a shim in my scope and tightened it up. Turns out I've over tightened the brackets and I've slightly dented the main external tube of my scope!

Will this cause major issues or will it be okay and just superficial damage?

The issue I was trying to sort, it was constantly shooting right, even with full scope adjustment to get it to zero. So a small shim was added to the side to counter the right drift. However, it wasn't enough. I was going to try posting on here to ask about the right drift, but thought I'd add a little more to shim. When opening the brackets for the scope, I realised I'd dented the metal on the scope body.

A long sleepless night ahead then :laugh:

Oh don't do that mate. It's an MTC Viper 6-24x52. I got it at a discount, but hell, it'll be the best part of a month's paycheque to replace!

Proper panicking!

Edited by RemyBolt

Sorry. You beat me to posting.

Are the mounts correct and mounted right?

Have you wound the turrets fully both ways and back again?

What scope is it?

You say adjustments. What adjustments? Zoom. Focus. Parallax?

What rifle is it mounted to?

I'm just going to have to sit back and leave it until tomorrow, then see how it is I guess.

Mounts are on fine, but I've put them further apart now, so it'll be hard to compare previous right drift.

On an Ultra, but I am not a massive fan, to be fair, and genuinely prefer using my cheap Gamo Springer (I shoot with that a lot more because of the fun, weird hu?)

For zero, I have it on 24x mag. Parallax to the distance on the wheel. Focus is spot on.

I basically followed the instructions in the booklet haha.

If the zero is okay, I'll probably change the mounting from Ultra to Gamo. Does that make me sad that I prefer the springer?

The issue I was trying to sort, it was constantly shooting right, even with full scope adjustment to get it to zero. So a small shim was added to the side to counter the right drift. However, it wasn't enough. I was going to try posting on here to ask about the right drift, but thought I'd add a little more to shim. When opening the brackets for the scope, I realised I'd dented the metal on the scope body.

If you have already checked other issues such as moderator, crown etc and they are all fine, then shimming isn't the answer to this sort of issue.

If you can't adjust the scope enough left/right then you have a faulty scope, mounts or possibly even rail.

That's like putting a sticking plaster on a broken leg.

:thumbs:

• Like 2

I've reset the scope and put the brackets further apart. If this doesn't work, I'll try and sort the rail. If that's not working, I'll tell the wife to let me have more spending money! She takes my whole paycheque and gives me a little to spend (I have an awful shopping habit!) and a new scope would be at least half my month's spending allowance.

But she did say she would get me a new scope for my Birthday, if I wanted. By then I should have my SGC and FAC sorted though.

X24 mag!!! Wow.

Try winding it down and starting again.

I always zero at the highest magnification, but I don't shoot at 24X mag. That would be ridiculous! I only use 23x haha. In all seriousness, I usually shoot at 10-12x for rabbiting.

The higher tech scopes are pretty new to me. I've always just used simple fixed 4x mag for ratting, or a friend's full set up, so now I'm going for rabbits, I thought it made sense to get a better scope and kit up a little.

Everyone recommends learning the basics with a springer, so I thought it best if I go back to basics as I have picked up some (I say some, but I mean MANY) lazy habits while ratting, and while being away from my other shooting friends up north. So I picked up a cheap little springer, just to give it a go. It's damn addictive! I'm looking at changing my scope off the Ultra, and onto the springer.

I'll do that when I get home and will see how it gets on.

I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to take photos without crying, but I'll try, and will post them up on here for you all to laugh at, urm, I mean check out and give an expert opinion on.

I'm confused...so why do you zero at 24x and shoot at 10-12x? :hmm: :hmm:

The Zero on 24x will still be on zero if it's 10-12x mag. It just means that I'm still perfectly zeroed for anything between 10x and 24x too. So if it's a very tight shot, and I need better magnification, I will increase the mag as required.

If you see a crazed guy dancing around naked out of sheer delight....I do apologise already!

Without stroking his ego, but also giving credit where due....Spot on Moxy! Purely superficial damage!

Deker, it was all mount work! I don't know why I didn't check them first. I feel so retarded!

I reversed the front bracket/mount, and twisted the horizontal adjustment knob to about mid point. PERFECT ZERO!!! Even at my extreme 24xmag!!!! I was going to pop in some further adjustments, as I only twisted it half way so that I could adjust it for any other horizontal play. Purely coincidence, but it was perfect zero!!!

SING SONG DANCING AROUND HAPPY ME!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the help guys.

Wow bet you sh#t yourself when you did that

Shouldn't really need a shim in it if was a new scope I got the taipan 6-24x56 has so much adjustment would need a bent barrel to Need a shim

But anyways least it fine eh

• Like 1