What 16Ft Sea Fishing Boat

Decided to take up boating with the intention of doing a bit of fishing too, I got a 16ft microplus explorer to do up so I could get a feel for the job but really fancy a wilson flyer dory type boat so the deck space can handle more people with the stability of the cathedral hull but any others worth looking out for of this type ?

Wilson flyers are a bit narrow on the beam for the length. That said I worked on one for 7 or 8 years and it was a good sea boat. Most dories have Inherent flaws one of the most annoying is that they slap constantly when on the plane in any type of seas, bar flat calm. That in turn causes more petrol usage.

A lot of the more modern mono planing hulls have almost the the same stability as a dory through the reverse chimes built into the hull, but they do have a little bit more beam than the Wilson Flyer. The mono hulls tend to cut a wave rather than slap into it, that in turn gives you a smoother ride and better fuel efficiency.

If you decide to go for a second hand boat the main thing to check is the keel band, if it shows signs of old damage / screws missing etc, it could mean that the actual keel board on the inside of the hull could be rotten that is a big job replacing that. Another factor again to do with the keel band is that some dories are foam filled and the foam takes on the water that leeks in through the keel band and can add up to half a ton to the weight of the boat.

If we had that scenario we would pull up the deck take out all the foam and replace them with empty pop bottles there by creating a space under the deck that is full of air. Anther plus with the pop bottles is if you holed the hull it could only take on so much water (the space between the bottles) before it was full and the water would stop coming in.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1

I had a wilson flyer (type) 17ft with a 90 merc 2stroke....I didn't know what I was looking at when I bought it, turned out a right dog, went out on it once and then sold it.

The hull slapped loads, stable enough though and would fish 3 people...if I was buying another I would take someone clued up on boats that's for sure...

Thanks for the reply I think stability over anything is key for me as the idea came about as I wanted to get into a hobby that the wife and kids could do with me the sixteen foot limit is so I can get it into my unit the opening is 8ftx8ft so could go wider on the beam but would be pushing it on length taking into account the out board and trailer

I did look at a dory cathedral hull that was as you say tc full of heavy wet foam and walked away the pop bottles sound like a good idea I was thinking on the lines of polystyrene I think that was a dell quay

hi,

I use to have a 15ft seahog sea jeep with a 50hp Honda outboard, on a rollercoaster trailer which was a very good combination, it would do about 28+ knots (depending on the tide, wind etc), which is pretty fast, It was a nice manageable boat that i could launch/retrieve it on my own, it could fish 3 people if you wanted to, but I preferred to go on my own, (peace and quite), it was very stable, that made me feel quite safe, and an added bonus it would go into my garage with a standard up and over door, all in all it was a good allrounder

thanks tl

Thanks for the reply I think stability over anything is key for me as the idea came about as I wanted to get into a hobby that the wife and kids could do with me the sixteen foot limit is so I can get it into my unit the opening is 8ftx8ft so could go wider on the beam but would be pushing it on length taking into account the out board and trailer

I did look at a dory cathedral hull that was as you say tc full of heavy wet foam and walked away the pop bottles sound like a good idea I was thinking on the lines of polystyrene I think that was a dell quay

Buying a boat it really pays to take your time and think about things. I fished on a Dell-quay that I had built up myself and found it stable but about the worst for slapping I have ever been on.

On filling the space below the deck.. One of the boys bought a load of boxes of ping-pong balls at an auction. He used those under the deck of his boat.

TC

• Like 1

seen the sea hogs too they all look very alike to one another cjr ect what mono hull with a wide beam would you look out for I was offered a F A M E domino my dad says there a good boat but its been a long while since hes had one

The first boat I ever bought was a Picton domino basically a cabin cruiser with a planing hull. stripped it out to make it a netting boat. Great in following seas and hitting seas head on. But as soon as you had to travel across swells it was a totally different story, the hull would follow the swell and if the swells were short and steep it made for a very hairy ride.

The newer mono hulls have chimes moulded into them that help get purchase in the water when travelling at speed and gives you greater stability when travelling across swells and when drifting in rougher seas. Two good examples of this are Bonwitco with and the Rana 500. TBH there are a lot of new design mono hulls that have come on to the market in the last 10 years and they are all stable boats it's just what design you prefer.

TC

The seahog hunter and CRJ are about the worst type of hulls of any dory the two outrigger hulls are too blunt at the front so instead of cutting the water they push it aside, causing the bang bang when hitting even very small waves.

TC

Had a orkney fast liner for a while Good and stable but. Not the best going forward in a bit of choppy got a rib now. Good for getting in close. Tiny draft but no good if its bad weather , But got a lump of a boat for that

You might get wet in the rib in a bit if weather, but at least you know you will be going home. :thumbs:

TC

Had a orkney fast liner for a while Good and stable but. Not the best going forward in a bit of choppy got a rib now. Good for getting in close. Tiny draft but no good if its bad weather , But got a lump of a boat for that

You might get wet in the rib in a bit if weather, but at least you know you will be going home. :thumbs:

TC

. Had it for years its are work/safety boat T. Self flooding hull. Cracking little boat got the kit for a bit of choppy but nurishment not punishment. Eh
  • Like 1