Question for Keepers

Guest little_lloyd

The smallest of the shoots just sticks to pheasnt but its suprising how many wild ducks get shot as theres a few ponds dotted around the place.

The bigger of the shoots is just pheasant and they put up a few ducks for the lake :thumbs:

wilf, sounds like you lot have it good down there... im 3.75 for 8 week poult and 4.10 for 10 week old partrix... as for price of feed :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::thumbdown: in tott bags, delivered im 215 per ton, maize is 315 this year... ALOT of small shoots will suffer this year due to the cost of wheat etc, im feared to tell my boss what we have spent on feed so far :(

Whats your shoot normally paying for young birds.............also what are you paying for a ton of feed?

Cheers lads

my game farm sells 8 week old grass reared pheasants for 3.20 depending on distance delivered but generally covered in the cost .we also do greys and red s .poa.glad to recieve any pms for shoot needs next season.we are based in west yorkshire and have a good reputation for good quality birds.feed totally depends where you get it and whether the fartmers have had a god harvest.

I pay £3 a poult for pheasants,and £160 a ton for wheat grown by farm where shoot is based,last season i was paying eighty quid a ton so its doubled this year.

Wheat £180.00 A TONNE AND RISING ...Barley the same told by a friend in Ireland that you cant buy a new or second hand plough for any amount of money every bit of land will be used for cereal crops as price has not peaked yet ...shooting will be very dear next year due to price of feed..

Poults about 2.50each get a trio ex layers in auction for appro £3.00 a trio

regards

Steve

Depends on a few factors Wilf,eg will you be hand feeding or hopper feeding,how much will be lost to vermin etc.But on my shoot a ton n half of wheat will feed a hundred birds from poult stage to spring time,plus about 15 bags of pellets,pellets being about £6 a bag.

Ceers lads...........what sort of weight to numbers ratio do you get on feed...ie.........a ton of feed will feed X number of birds for X days/weeks??

APPROX 1 TON PER HUNDRED BIRDS FOR PHESSYS...... A BIT MORE BARLEY FOR DUCKS IF YOU WANT TO ENCOURAGE WILD ONES ON AS WELL PER SEASON