.270 Or 30.06 For Fallow And Reds

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ive used the .270 (our estate rifle) my own .243s and my own 30.06 and even had a 300win mag for a while for forestry reds....all put plenty of deer in the larder but i liked the bigger calibers to be

I would love to see the look on some of the peppery old gentlemens faces that frequent our grouse moors, if you told them you shoot grice with a .338 win mag

Can you imagine the faces in the firearms dept when they look at a request for a .338win mag for grouse .....priceless ....Thing are a lot different in the USofA , we can only dream ... ..

I know a few folks out here who use the 25 06 for most all big game here up to includeing elk to good effect once again use a well constructed bullet for that or the 270 and your good to go we had a old time world hunter who lived here an he used the 270 win for every thing up to and including mountain grizzly and i believe he shot much of the world s sheep species with said caliber as well his name was is Jack Oconnor and he used the 130 gr i think partition bullet or barnes for a lot of his hunting and 150s for his heavier game i believe can't remember for sure though oh and hey he used a fixed four power scope for all of it as well and this man could have had his pick of most any scope made at the time so some thing else to ruminate over fellas .i love these my caliber is better than yours for this or that reason threads cause for most standard cartridges there is'nt a whole lot of diffrence as far as kill potential goes imo.

Ohhhh a pissing contest LOL, My two penneth I have shot between 100-150 deer per year for well over 24 or so years guided clients on as many if not more seen and used from .222 to 300rum on munty to red, I have NOT shot elk, grizzly or plains game and despite living on the Jurassic coast have never found a dinosaur to bag, my tool of choice .25-06 pushing an 85gr nosler ballistic tip at some 3600fps it moderates beautifully,no discernible recoil,has the grunt to get any job done in the UK and is point and shoot to well over 300 yds,

• Like 1