.270 Or 30.06 For Fallow And Reds

Am looking at applying for one of the two calibers .270 or 30.06 would be best for fallow and reds have a .222 and .17hmr all ready and have a good size heard of malinistic fallow on my ground have 2000+ acers to shoot would tha fao give me a big caliber straight out or do I need to get a 243 first

• Like 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ive used the .270 (our estate rifle) my own .243s and my own 30.06 and even had a 300win mag for a while for forestry reds....all put plenty of deer in the larder but i liked the bigger calibers to be

I would love to see the look on some of the peppery old gentlemens faces that frequent our grouse moors, if you told them you shoot grice with a .338 win mag

Can you imagine the faces in the firearms dept when they look at a request for a .338win mag for grouse .....priceless ....Thing are a lot different in the USofA , we can only dream ... ..

Mate if you have the ground and good reason apply for whatever you want, you already have centerfire experience with your .222, no you dont need to get a .243 first although that would do the job admirably as well, but if you want a .270 or .30-06 crack on, to be honest there is not a lot to choose between them, both will kill deer with the best of them, you might get a bit more meat damage with a light bullet in your .270 but so what, it really is down to personal choice, get your application in and enjoy mate :thumbs:

• Like 2

Am looking at applying for one of the two calibers .270 or 30.06 would be best for fallow and reds have a .222 and .17hmr all ready and have a good size heard of malinistic fallow on my ground have 2000+ acers to shoot would tha fao give me a big caliber straight out or do I need to get a 243 first

What distance do you think you will be shooting over mainly? Both the .270 and 30.06 produce high levels of recoil. If shooting under 300 yards get a .308 instead. This is the most optimal, versatile and efficient big game caliber under 300 yards. Cheers

As for shooting range any thing out to about 800 yards is posible out on the hill intresting hadent thaught about re coil at short range what all round calliber is best form 150 to 800 yards

Fuc* it get the .25-06 and be done with it man :tongue2: if you cant handle the recoil from a .270 or .30-06 then you should invest in a body building course first, ffs neither kick like a 12 bore with heavy loads.

Edited by charlie caller
  • Like 2

800 yards :icon_eek: ermmmm try an Arctic Warfare Magnum! :laugh:

Do you a deal mate next time your down I have a 30cm steel plate I'll give you 10 shots at 600yds with the 25 if you hit it I promise to never mention the .410 again :laugh:

• Like 2

ive used the .270 (our estate rifle) my own .243s and my own 30.06 and even had a 300win mag for a while for forestry reds....all put plenty of deer in the larder but i liked the bigger calibers to be honest when your looking for a monster red stag in thick forestry or had a very over excided german shaking like a sheep shiteing razor blades then the 243 always felt a little bit to little! even with a 100grain soft point in the perfect spot then tham big lads can cover some distance in the thick stuff.....i nearly always went for or told them to go for a shoulder shot to pin him to the spot but the boss used to dislike that due to getting less off the dealer for them.

i loved the 270 for shooting hinds, it was a real light stunning hyem and was shockingly acurate! you could head shoot them like shelling peas,but still have the "gun" to drop them on the spot if you needed to like say if they were on the edge of a river ravine and you didnt want them running off the edge.

the 30-06 and 300win mag....to be honest the 300 was a bit of a "moment" it was cheap.nice gun and i could have it...so i did! it only had a 26inch barrel and was sporter weight to kicked like a c**t and after a few shots you knew about it...the stalker in glen artney (about 3 miles away) always said he knew when i was out because he could hear my artillery piece :blink: bullets were over £2 a go and i think i was running 180grain soft points now thats a big lumo of lead and with it caused a lot of damage to them BIG stags our area was known for...it was a confidence inspireing gun...that when that big 14-16 point forestry stag that weighed as much and you and your client stepped out 100m away on a ride and looked at you,you knew that even if the shot was not 100% spot on he isnt going far!

the 30-06 was much the same but easier on the shoulder and wallet!

i was young and slightly too keen then and loved having a cannon.....nowadays i would simply have a 308 and cover all basis...or be tempted by a semi custom 6.5x47....

• Like 3

Do you a deal mate next time your down I have a 30cm steel plate I'll give you 10 shots at 600yds with the 25 if you hit it I promise to never mention the .410 again :laugh:

You're on! :D

@800yds, 338 Lapua, the utlimate calibre. That said, you'd be lucky to get it for deer as its big game certfied for good reason purposes.

It's also responsible for the longest ever recorded successful sniper shot - 2,475m (1.564 miles) and the British sniper completed 2 successive shots on target, killing both combatants!

BTW, my friend has a .30-06. He's highly satisfied but I can't comment beyond that as I have no experience of it. Looking at the tables, it's pretty much one of the most powerful of the Deer calibres in pure energy terms (for good reason purposes). However, there may be better calibres in other areas such as accuracy and recoil.

Edited by Alsone

@800yds, 338 Lapua, the utlimate calibre. That said, you'd be lucky to get it for deer as its big game certfied for good reason purposes.

It's also responsible for the longest ever recorded successful sniper shot - 2,475m (1.564 miles) and the British sniper completed 2 successive shots on target, killing both combatants!

BTW, my friend has a .30-06. He's highly satisfied but I can't comment beyond that as I have no experience of it. Looking at the tables, it's pretty much one of the most powerful of the Deer calibres in pure energy terms (for good reason purposes). However, there may be better calibres in other areas such as accuracy and recoil.

ive seen a 6mm ppc flatten 2 fallow in a row at 600m you dont need a cannon to take stuff at range.....

note to c**ts and trolls...... ime not and have not said its ok to shoot deer at long range.... i have not and am not saying ime a good shot and i have not and man not saying i took this shot....

• Like 1