The Hare And The Dogs

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Following on from an earlier thread about tame hares, a mate of mine had a leveret, that was found on a local horse racing course by one of the grass cutters, handed to him. That was back in June 2011

I worked with a man farm labourer this guy reard every thing. Beleave me every thing weasels stoats hares His house was a managery. He could mimick every bird and animal call. Ferreting mad he wa

I am at a loss to know why you would think like that? The animal has been semi domesticated it has no fear of human or dogs. It's fate was sealed when it was handed in. Perhaps the best thing would ha

When you think the dog is going to pick up the hare changes gear, always has something in reserve. Used lurchers and spaniels and always enjoyed watching that turn of speed amazing!

Yeh I just heard a thumping sounds as it shot passed me at full tilt :D The spaniel in pursuit had no chance.

I don't think there's loads of them here (not like in places like Lincolnshire) although I might be wrong so I'm just happy to see them.

Love the pic with the Hare sat next to the dog as well lol

When you think the dog is going to pick up the hare changes gear, always has something in reserve. Used lurchers and spaniels and always enjoyed watching that turn of speed amazing!

Yeh I just heard a thumping sounds as it shot passed me at full tilt :D The spaniel in pursuit had no chance.

I don't think there's loads of them here (not like in places like Lincolnshire) although I might be wrong so I'm just happy to see them.

Love the pic with the Hare sat next to the dog as well lol

How many people have never witnessed it? Sad eh! There were plenty of hares in Wales when I was younger then they went into decline as they did in many other parts of the country. The only place they are in abundance is the military ranges in and around Brecon/ Builth Wells where they are basically on nature reserves

• Like 1

Amazing and nice to see and just goes to show proper hunting folk don't feel they need to kill every thing in site. Be nice to see some more pictures of it.

Had a funny encounter with a hare last year. Walking the dog down a track on his lead and he stopped dead and went to sniff some thing and jumped back and carried on walking. I turned to see what made him jump and there was a big old hare squatting there. By this time the dog had spun round because he must have scented what it was and nearly took me arm off as it made a run for it. So he must have dam near sniffed this hare on the nose and the hare held its nerve. Lovely creatures to be honest wish there was more about

• Like 3

How many people have never witnessed it? Sad eh! There were plenty of hares in Wales when I was younger then they went into decline as they did in many other parts of the country. The only place they are in abundance is the military ranges in and around Brecon/ Builth Wells where they are basically on nature reserves

it is sad mate, but something sadder, there were fecking hares everywhere pre ban, since coursing stopped hares are almost non excistent in my area, I never lamped hares back in the day always considered it cheating as even a shit dog could take a hare on the lamp, but it was nice to see them, last time I took a lamp out I saw 14 badgers and know hares, I wonder why
  • Like 2

it is sad mate, but something sadder, there were fecking hares everywhere pre ban, since coursing stopped hares are almost non excistent in my area, I never lamped hares back in the day always considered it cheating as even a shit dog could take a hare on the lamp, but it was nice to see them, last time I took a lamp out I saw 14 badgers and know hares, I wonder why

I stopped hunting hares around 27 years ago, before they went into decline in this area. At that time I was getting £1.50 a rabbit and worked out on average a dog coursing a hare would take at least 5 rabbits out of it, and we were lucky if we got £3 for a hare so was just not worth it. Not long after they got scarce and places where you would be guaranteed to see one just did not hold them any more.

They still had their little holding places, but never in the numbers that were there. I would take one a year for the pot and that was it, usually by gate or gap netting, that stopped about 20 years ago when I found that the fields no longer held hares.

TC

I am a member on a small shoot in the Brecon area and it is not uncommon to see hares in good numbers on drives but except for the occassional one or two for the pot the majority are left. I think this is the exception to the rule though as the big numbers we see are due to our land bordering the Military Range! Hairs on my neck still stand on end every time one is put up lol

I am a member on a small shoot in the Brecon area and it is not uncommon to see hares in good numbers on drives but except for the occassional one or two for the pot the majority are left. I think this is the exception to the rule though as the big numbers we see are due to our land bordering the Military Range! Hairs on my neck still stand on end every time one is put up lol

Nant Bran?

TC

Nant Bran?

TC

Great little topic this it would be good to see some more pics or better still a bit of video i find them fascinating,i remember when i first got into this hunting lark i thought you had to snarl and hate on all quarry but ive realised over time hunters can do the job needed but still be very respectful and even admire their quarry and it changed my outlook on hare,s in particular they are some athletes im after a taxidermy piece at the moment......good on you Mr Tiercel for bringing this subject to light its really interesting.