The Hare And The Dogs

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Following on from an earlier thread about tame hares, a mate of mine had a leveret, that was found on a local horse racing course by one of the grass cutters, handed to him. That was back in June 2011

I worked with a man farm labourer this guy reard every thing. Beleave me every thing weasels stoats hares His house was a managery. He could mimick every bird and animal call. Ferreting mad he wa

I am at a loss to know why you would think like that? The animal has been semi domesticated it has no fear of human or dogs. It's fate was sealed when it was handed in. Perhaps the best thing would ha

Turn the poor fcuker loose FFS....

I am at a loss to know why you would think like that? The animal has been semi domesticated it has no fear of human or dogs. It's fate was sealed when it was handed in. Perhaps the best thing would have been to euthanase it as a kit, but it was not done. So as it does seem very happy where it is, and it interacts with all his other animals why would you class it as a poor fcuker?

Since I made the first post there honestly does not seem to be any change in it's behaviour, I have seen it a few times since and it is just as bossy with the dogs as it was.

TC

• Like 7

does he take it out and run it?if you had an animal from young enough and brought it on with dogs would it know it wasn't a dog?

A hare coursing hares...... What a sight!! And I'm sure plod couldn't even make up a law for that!!! :laugh:

• Like 2

the one we reared and released just suddenly wanted to go after being quite tame for a few months.that would run around with the terriers in the garden for ages.cannot find the original pictures but they are on here somewhere.

You are always going to get the odd (as in occasional) wild animal that does not conform to 'normal' wild animal behaviour. Where most hares suddenly realise they are wild animals when they get to a certain age, there are some which are happy to remain in a domestic situation. I remember someone who reared two fox cubs from before their eyes were open. Reared by his cat which had kittens at the time. One fox cub went 'wild' and was released, the other remained very tame and lived out its life with the family.

I think its pretty cool, but I can't help thinking how great it must be to eat now.....perhaps having a higher fat content than the average wild hare, it should cook up a treat! hmmmm......

• Like 2

I think its pretty cool, but I can't help thinking how great it must be to eat now.....perhaps having a higher fat content than the average wild hare, it should cook up a treat! hmmmm......

It had crossed my mind also. :laugh:

TC

• Like 2

Turn the poor fcuker loose FFS....

I am at a loss to know why you would think like that? The animal has been semi domesticated it has no fear of human or dogs. It's fate was sealed when it was handed in. Perhaps the best thing would have been to euthanase it as a kit, but it was not done. So as it does seem very happy where it is, and it interacts with all his other animals why would you class it as a poor fcuker?

Since I made the first post there honestly does not seem to be any change in it's behaviour, I have seen it a few times since and it is just as bossy with the dogs as it was.

TC

My appoliges if that comment sounded harsh.

Just seeing the second pic of the hare in the dog bed next to the terrier in a living room decked out with laminate flooring, central heating, inches away from the tele.. just not as nature intended, that's all. She hasn't exactly got acres of arable land to follow her natural instincts of roaming, feeding and breeding.

I'm sure the chap cutting the grass thought he was doing the right thing handing the leveret in and fair play your mate for giving it a chance in life!

And smashing pics there bye the way.

Somebody earlier said the hare looks 'happy'!!

How the f**k can you tell that?

It's just sat or layed there!

Is it smiling? Is it frowning? LOL!!!

does he take it out and run it?if you had an animal from young enough and brought it on with dogs would it know it wasn't a dog?

A hare coursing hares...... What a sight!! And I'm sure plod couldn't even make up a law for that!!! :laugh:

just wondered if it came to call etc, and came back when it had the chance to do one.

would be funny if the cops gripped you with a dog and a hare then you whistled them both back lol.

• Like 1

I mentioned this before but it's funny anyways,

Years ago a dog man near Dublin had a pet hare and took a photo of the Hare riding a lurcher pup, doggy style so to speak.

He sent the photo into one of Ireland's biggest Sunday papers and they published it and had a "best caption" competition.

The caption of the Hare riding the Lurcher that won was "We're inter-coursing."

• Like 4
  • 1 year later...