Cotoneaster, planted with Fuscia amongst it would be a great start. Former providing winter food and spring nesting cover. Latter adding another dimension to the cover and the very pretty flowers for later in the season. Good for the bees too.

I have this mix here (Fuscia is sort of naturalised here). I wouldn't change it for the world.

If ye don't have kids or free running Dogs ~ or are prepared to fence it off ~ then Pyracantha (" Fire Thorn ") is a f**king beauty to plant round ye perimeters. No f**ker's gonna come over ye walls / fences and plunge into That shit, to get at ye Dogs! :icon_eek:

Suffice it to say; I know a man who spent time sectioned, on a locked ward. People there were given to smashing the first floor windows, jumping to the ground and vaulting the fence.

They planted pyracantha. No f**ka was That mad!!! :whistling:

But, yeah; Fire Thorn, in it's various forms, again provides a winter thrush feast and a good nesting habitat.

Good, old fashioned, plain Ivy shouldn't be overlooked or despised either. On a disused, north to east facing wall? Dynamite! Year round cover for birds to roost in. Sparrows are mad for nesting in it. The berries are acceptable to plenty of birds too.

Feel free to bung in any fine tuned requests. I'm sure others can and will pitch in. Of course; The more detail you provide, the more detailed we can get. Photo's of the site? Size? Aspects? Conditions?

• Like 1

Pyracantha,rowan,holly all hold good berries and even a good bed of teazle will pull some goldies in and with teazle they have to work for it so there'll be hanging around for a while on it.

• Like 1

Ornamental Elderberry look's decent and produces a lot of berries.. and ceanothus is a tight evergreen shrub that produces load's of little purple flower that the bee's love..

• Like 1