A pair of something for you here anytime your ready tuffty :thumbs: , it'll come Gnasher and like i said myself and plenty of others have had a fuuny old year and one old boy who's alloment i get my chickweed from has kept zebra finches and other types for donkey's years and hasn't had a egg laid in a nest this year from anything,so somethings happened in the bird world to put them off in the numbers it has to so many folk :hmm:,

• Like 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a big log cabin thing down the garden that houses a big aquarium i have so thought id go the whole hog and turn the other half into a bit of a bird room....everything under one roof so to speak...

If it were me i'd let them be now there back out and use the aviary as a breeding center and any young produced would be when weaned put in the cages,this way they will settle down and be used to cage

Funny you should ask,bit of progress over the last few days.....   Not much of a nest i know but found this yesterday dropped by the Glosters   Best nest in the whole gaff built by a Goldie mule

Right Fireman..........im going to put it on you now :D .....i shouldnt but i think you will rise to the challenge !

If you had to hazard an educated guess at why that is.......what do your thoughts amount to ?.......I mean surely if a season is bad for birdkeeping folk in general it has to be a common factor you/we are all facing.........swerve it if you like or you fancy getting them braincells working ? ;)

Well i'm going to sound like a right "Hippy" now but i honestly think it's got something to do with the jap nuclear power station that's still in melt down,we were all told during the cold war the horrors and after effects of nuclear radiation and there's 3 reactors that have gone boom and are leaking and there trying to tell us all is ok with it.Bollocks and look at the damage chynoble(spelling but the russian one)did and how far it spread and that was just one reactor and egg laying and sitting is a delicate thing and air pressure etc does make a difference and i think this may well be why the birds are failing this year and have to say my garden hasn't been quite so full of wild young birds this year either.Be interesting to get a bigger picture of how well the wild birds have done as well as captive ones and i'll get on a bird forum or two.

• Like 1

Blimey fireman, I thought I was the only one that smoked the blueberry cheese lol lol

Dont know about the nuclear reactor stuff lol

Im just putting it down to atmospherics, high and low pressure, the weather.

Theres been a few lads that have been successful this season

and so to have some of the wild birds.

Housemartins,house sparrows, jackdaws, starlings,goldies and chaffinches in my area have bred very well around my neighbour hood.

With the house sparrows in my nest box on there 3rd lot.

So I dont think its anything like a nuclear reactor.

Just birds being sensitive to the forever changing weather. ?

• Like 3

Blimey fireman, I thought I was the only one that smoked the blueberry cheese lol lol

Dont know about the nuclear reactor stuff lol

Im just putting it down to atmospherics, high and low pressure, the weather.

Theres been a few lads that have been successful this season

and so to have some of the wild birds.

Housemartins,house sparrows, jackdaws, starlings,goldies and chaffinches in my area have bred very well around my neighbour hood.

With the house sparrows in my nest box on there 3rd lot.

So I dont think its anything like a nuclear reactor.

Just birds being sensitive to the forever changing weather. ?

I agree with the atmospherics and changing weather patterns being the reason why :yes: ,i just blame the power station for a lot of it that's all :thumbs: .

We all start off normal and happy in the hobby JD,miserable just comes with time spent in it :laugh:

Wow theres an answer i wasnt banking on.....i had half an idea it might involve the atmosphere but nuclear power stations :icon_eek: .......still i guess its worth thinking about.

Must admit this is the first year ive really paid much attention to wild birds ive certainly seen a fair few so their numbers must be ok round here though ive nothing to compare to......be interesting to see numbers of wild birds if its possible to record such details i dont know.....anyway thankyou for your thoughts very interesting.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...