• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a big log cabin thing down the garden that houses a big aquarium i have so thought id go the whole hog and turn the other half into a bit of a bird room....everything under one roof so to speak...

If it were me i'd let them be now there back out and use the aviary as a breeding center and any young produced would be when weaned put in the cages,this way they will settle down and be used to cage

Funny you should ask,bit of progress over the last few days.....   Not much of a nest i know but found this yesterday dropped by the Glosters   Best nest in the whole gaff built by a Goldie mule

Funny you should ask,bit of progress over the last few days.....

Not much of a nest i know but found this yesterday dropped by the Glosters

aviary_zps48e2af93.jpg

Best nest in the whole gaff built by a Goldie mule hen !!

aviary_zps6c782379.jpg

Then in the bird room ive only got 2 pairs now......1 pair is doing nothing the other pair are steaming along.

birdroom_zps1ec33c6e.jpg

birdroom_zpsd7ca6af4.jpg

As you can see they barely bothered to make a nest,theres 4 eggs but only 2 chicks and the second hatched a few days ago now so im doubting the other 2 eggs are going to hatch ??.............Think i remember being told to keep them in there though as it benefits the chicks that have hatched ??

Im going away next week so will miss all the fun but my mate who has just built his own aviary is coming to stay so all in good hands....( or blind leading the blind whatever way you look at it ) :D

• Like 4

Not forgetting of course the Goldies that ive got in a box a pal made for me on the advice of Taz......thankfully they,ve settled down a bit more now again on the advice of Taz .............hoping for some chicks at some point.......................................with the advice of Taz :D

goldies_zpsfe53b690.jpg

• Like 3

Nice one Gnasher.

Regarding the eggs,sometimes the hen wil start to sit on her first egg so therefore the hatching period is usually one day hatch Every day untill there all hatched.

But that all depends.

Fireman whats your views?

Edited by TUFFTY

I've inbred birds for 5/6 gens with no ill effects, and by inbreeding I mean close, mum to son, dad to daughter and even nest mates, I was always told it's easier with birds than dogs tho, so never tried it with mutts. I'm in process of trying it with ferrets now tho

don't know if its quite the same him but my father has pigeons that are technically producing there sibling several generations later

Nice one Gnasher.

Regarding the eggs,sometimes the hen wil start to sit on her first egg so therefore the hatching period is usually one day hatch Every day untill there all hatched.

But that all depends.

Fireman whats your views?

Your right they do sometimes sit straight off so it could be a day or two in between hatching eggs and as it goes it could be even longer if she is say a first year hen and has had a day off during her egg production,one of my Bullies hens has missed a day laying and has taken 4 days to lay 3 eggs.As for leaving the unhatched eggs in there it does help to prevent slayed legs on the chicks that have hatch as they don't have to splay their legs out when reaching up to be fed they lean on the unhatched eggs.

Your doing well Gnasher and if you are worried about her not building a nest then it would do no harm if you wanted to put in a nest pan liner in there and put the chicks etc back in on top,but if she's doing ok then maybe better not to mess but your watching them so your call as you know how there doing :thumbs: .There all looking good and good luck things carry on going the right direction and nice one with the pics :victory:

• Like 2

goldies looking well gnasher got first eight goldie chicks in the nest mate 2 pairs due to hatch Monday and other pair just started nest building so fingers crossed should have a few greys this year for ya mate

• Like 3

I think i,ll leave them for the moment Fireman she seems settled and the chicks look strong enough............

Sounds like your steaming along Taz think i,ll be on your earhole pretty soon.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Now your back home Gnasher, hows the birds doing?

Really dissappointed mate if im completely honest.... only had 4 chicks off the Canaries and not a bean from the Goldies i dont know if its too late in the season to expect anything now but id be a liar if i said im not a bit gutted.......not being here for a month and leaving them in the hands of someone even less experienced than me no doubt didnt help but still lessons learned for next year i suppose...............feel a bit of a dick getting all them breeding cages now i must be doing something wrong.......no footie next summer so i,ll be able to pay more attention :icon_redface:

Any joy with the birds yourself Tuffty ?....i forget what you keep now ?

Edited by gnasher16

Your first season really Gnasher,so you learnt some things to take into next season.

Them there cages will be full at the end of next season and you will be saying you wish you had more lol.

Me and the birds!

Well I dont have any.

But I used to keep border canarys,bengelease finches and british finches.

With the odd owl,kestrel, rook,racing pigeon here and there.

• Like 1

My goldies never even built a nest this year and i know mine aren't the only ones not to either so don't blame yourself Gnasher,it's been a funny old year with my lot and other folks birds and apart from seperating breeding pairs off i've not done a lot different than i normaly do.Like Tuffty says a few lesson's learnt and when they get going those cages will be full at some point rest assured,but you've produced a few young un's anyway and that is success in it's self and best of luck for many more in the future..

• Like 1

Cheers Fireman/Tuffty i suppose being away for a month didnt help i thought it probably best to put all the Canaries back in the aviary with plenty of nestpans out so it made things easy for the chap i had looking after them and i wasnt really holding my breath expecting too much but i thought the Goldies might of produced something as id tried quite hard getting them set up properly but thats nature for you i suppose doesnt always go as we,d like..........i dont like being beaten by these things so as Arnie said...." I,ll be back " ;)

• Like 1

Gnasher when I got my first two pairs of birds I was about 12, and really didn't have the foggiest about breeding.

I was good on hand rearing young but no clue on breeding.

The 2 pair I had which were a pair if borders and a goldie and border pair.

Keep them in the shed in breeding cages.

The first year nothing, second year layed eggs but no chicks.

Anyway I used to have a milk round and paper round in that day and got chatting to some old boy round the corner whilst delivering his milk, well he had an avairy full of canarys.

I was A kid in ore.

Well the old boy invited me round after I had finushed the milk.

So went round.

4 hours I was there listening to everything he said,taking it all in.

So every sunday after me jobs I would be at Freds all afternoon listening to him and helping him in hes avairy.

I was soooo into it that my dad built me an avairy for my birthday.

Me dad even built me a block of cages aswell.

I slowly built my collection of borders and british birds and on my 3rd season BINGO

I bred 3 pair of borders and a goldie x canary.

I was now the birdman and thats how it started for me.

I havdnt had any birds for years now but still have thd same feeling when I read these posts or see someone's avairy.

One day I WILL start it all over again.

Soon

TUFFTY

• Like 1

So what you saying then i need to get a paper round ? :D

Nice little story that Tuffty ive got the enthusiasm of a 12 year old and the knowledge of a 3 year old !.......But i guess like you did you put what little gains in understanding we pick up over time and along with a little bit of luck it comes good in the end.

Dont leave it too long mate :thumbs:

• Like 1