Got a big log cabin thing down the garden that houses a big aquarium i have so thought id go the whole hog and turn the other half into a bit of a bird room....everything under one roof so to speak........bought some breeding cages and a pal of mine whos just getting into birds built it for me i said i,ll give you some birds from what i breed to get you started :whistling: ( only Canaries )............got all properly organised,paired the birds up put some nest boxes up...........nothing !!.....didnt even bother building a nest......i started getting jealous keep looking on here and everyones getting chicks :D so thought f**k it i,ll put them back in the aviary with a few nest pans and see what occurs.......within a day they,re busy building away !!......

bitrds_zpsc30a8d2f.jpg

birdbreeders_zps6ad8b6aa.jpg

nestsin_zpsb48e33f6.jpg

Its just not on !......You go out your way to make them comfortable and they turn their nose up and go back to slumming it :D ......Will they be able to raise chicks in an aviary or are the other birds likely to do damage ?......or should i just put them back in the breeder cages and be patient ?..........funny ol game this is you try to do them a good turn and they snub you !

• Like 5

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a big log cabin thing down the garden that houses a big aquarium i have so thought id go the whole hog and turn the other half into a bit of a bird room....everything under one roof so to speak...

If it were me i'd let them be now there back out and use the aviary as a breeding center and any young produced would be when weaned put in the cages,this way they will settle down and be used to cage

Funny you should ask,bit of progress over the last few days.....   Not much of a nest i know but found this yesterday dropped by the Glosters   Best nest in the whole gaff built by a Goldie mule

Is it only pairs in aviary mate? Or are there any single males in? If it's pairs then leave them be, you've spoilt them now and as far as they concerned you can keep your fancy shed lol they just feel happier in aviary by sounds of it, I'm sure the cages will come in handy tho, better to be looking at summat you don't need and all that lol

No theres all sorts in their now.....when they wouldnt perform i thought alright f**k you then sort it out between yourselves if you dont like the partner i chose for you :D ....the mad thing is 2 of the couples i paired up in the cages are now building nests together in the aviary .............so it wasnt each other they didnt like it must of just been the new gaffs :laugh: ....

It will have been the cages they weren't fussed on, I think if you wanna breed aviary birds in cages they do better Put in a while before breeding season. to make sure there's no squabbling in the aviary just watch out for nuisance birds causing aggro or upsetting nesting hens and just bang the trouble makers in the cages and all should be well

• Like 1

Cracking post Gnasher,

Just let them get on with it.

They will teach you a thing or two

Just watch.

Absolutely mate im loving it........its not the end of the world if they dont produce 1 chick im enjoying the whole learn as you go thing...........i did feel a bit of a knob though when my mrs walked in as i was taking all the birds out the cages to put back in the aviary after she,d watched me get it all together over the last few months..........." all the gear no idea " she says :icon_redface:

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1

If it were me i'd let them be now there back out and use the aviary as a breeding center and any young produced would be when weaned put in the cages,this way they will settle down and be used to cage life and it's nothing out of the ordanary Gnasher,a lot of aviary/flight living birds wouldn't nest n a cage either unless they've had a month or two to settle and get used to it .I have 2 greenfinch hens sat hard on eggs outside in a flight,a lad who i gave 2 sisters to the ones i have localy have them in cages and there doing nothing but put them back out in a flight and i'd have a bet they go to nest in a week or so,you've done nothing wrong really Gnasher maybe they needed caging earlier in the year but it's something we all have to learn the hard way and trial and error although harsh at times is the best teacher there is :yes: .My birds won't produce in cages either and i've tried a few different pairing in cages over the last few years and still yet to have a successfull hatch off of even one egg,my stack of double breeders is sat empty this year and i'm only keeping them on a just in case basis these days :laugh:

• Like 4

canaries breed far better in cages no matter what,thats a known fact gnasher,finches outside but bred many finch in a box,id replace canaries internal and let ya finches get on with what they know best, outside with no disturbance as many canary have destroyed many a good finch nest unless separated

• Like 1

Now this is a puzzler....the 2 most knowledgable bird folk i know giving me conflicting opinions :D ................Im tempted to go with what Fireman says if for no other reason than my birds will think im a f****n lunatic if i move them again !...................suppose really i should of paired them up earlier in the year and given them a good few months in the cages but i didnt really get going on the idea till late March so they barely had a month in them..............im putting everything into the finches Taz as that will be the real test for me so they have their own place just these Canaries i wanted to have more control in terms of pairs but alas the best laid plans eh i dont expect they will breed in the pairs i wanted but at least i might get it right next year !

I agree with both of them for what it's worth gnasher, ideally you'd breed canaries in breeders, but seeing as they are so settled in the aviary it would be a backwards step trying to get them used to cages now, in a perfect world I'd breed canaries in cages using a cock between 2 hens. An then use an aviary for getting the youngsters fit and in tip top condition after leaving nest. Maybe aim for that next year now and just let nature take its course this year, besides I got a sneaky suspicion you'll enjoy watching them more in an aviary, all the very best with them, if breeding results were down to no more than effort put in, you'd a been onto a bumper season

• Like 2

I was thinking about just this very thing when i was out picking dandilions earlier,the fact that me and Taz have said two opposite things to you :laugh: and to tell the truth Taz has many years bird wise on me and i take advice from him myself :yes: ,BUT i just thought there doing something at the moment and that's better than feck all (if you get what i mean?) and to be able to learn from a nest that is happening in front of you is so much better than looking at our pics..As for making mistakes we all make them every year and i've made a few myself this year as well and i'd have different birds in different flights given a month or two back as well,BUT there where they are now and there staying there and i'll learn by it ( i hope :laugh: ) but that's the thing about this hobby we all do do things different and over time we put bits that sit right with together and we find a path that suits us andd Mule says birds don't allways read the rule book and flexabilty in what we do is a good thing as there birds and we really got to work round them and not try to force them into to doing what we want to much :victory: .

• Like 1

I agree with both of them for what it's worth gnasher, ideally you'd breed canaries in breeders, but seeing as they are so settled in the aviary it would be a backwards step trying to get them used to cages now, in a perfect world I'd breed canaries in cages using a cock between 2 hens. An then use an aviary for getting the youngsters fit and in tip top condition after leaving nest. Maybe aim for that next year now and just let nature take its course this year, besides I got a sneaky suspicion you'll enjoy watching them more in an aviary, all the very best with them, if breeding results were down to no more than effort put in, you'd a been onto a bumper season

:thumbs: You answered as i was writing my reply out and just what i was trying to say but waffled on :icon_redface::laugh:

Edited by fireman

Yep makes sense mate i make you right....im a bit of a stickler for hygiene i must admit it seemed like a bit of a chore with them cages i enjoy just watching nature take its course so in that way obviously the aviary is more fun watching how it all takes place............just feel a bit of a dick now getting that little room together for nothing :D but like you say its all experience for next year so hardly a disaster :thumbs: