Morning all.

So, after a long old wait, my FAC finally turned up the other day, the slot I've been given simply states .22rf.

Am I correct in assuming that this permits me a .22wmr? Forgive my ignorance but this is all new to me.

I know there is a marked increase in ammo price, but I'm quite drawn to the idea of increased accuracy at extended range, seeing as how we currently seem to have some very skitty bunnies about at one of my permissions.

Any opinions would be very much appreciated.

Cheers chaps

All the best

Mick

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi mick what sort of ranges are you planning on shooting?   Reason I ask is a .22lr has the power and accuracy upto 120 yards. I use a .17hmr past these ranges.   No point I extra cost and noise

Hi Captainbanana   I have to strongly agree with Charlie. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. It would probably take you longer to post your topic and read all the replies than it would to pick up t

Yep that's correct I can state 100% if land in S Yorks is passed for .22 rf it most certainly isn't automatically passed for .17HMR. The FAO said the land would need to be reclassified for HMR which i

Posted Images

Hi mick what sort of ranges are you planning on shooting?

Reason I ask is a .22lr has the power and accuracy upto 120 yards. I use a .17hmr past these ranges.

No point I extra cost and noise if you dont need it. The .22lr is great and very quiet.

Edited by shropshire dan
  • Like 2

I would exercise extreme caution here before going out and buying/attempting to buy a .22wmr, a call to BASC and your rfd would be a good idea to confirm that you are allowed a magnum, when your ticket states .22rf not .22wmr, seem like a pain in the arse? Well not as much of a pain as them coming and taking your ticket and rifle off you, 3 weeks after you got it.

Edited by charlie caller
  • Like 1

I had a .22wmr and it was a handy tool but wouldn't have another one because to much noise for rabbits and rounds are a lot more than your.22lr. Mind I did exchange it for a .220 swift and at €42 for 20 rounds its expensive too, but at least your getting plenty of power for money.

Dude you need to reload for your swift :thumbs: you should get the cost down to around 12-15 euro, get a Lee hand press kit :victory:

Good point cc

Yes I think so, just going out and buying a magnum because some geezer on a forum said it was ok, is not going to wash, I dont care what people on here think, check first, to avoid a very sticky situation, is my advice, its up to you if you take it or not. :hmm:

Hi Captainbanana

I have to strongly agree with Charlie. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. It would probably take you longer to post your topic and read all the replies than it would to pick up the phone and contact your FEO or firearms dept. When you sat down with your firearms Officer, what did you say to him? did you ask for a .22lr or .22wmr??

When I first had my certificate it stated .22rifle, not RF WMR or LR. However I discussed having a .22LR with my FEO. I have seen topics on here where people have thought this gives them permission to buy a centrefire, say a .222. As we all know this is not the case even though it is a .22 calibre round..

Nearly forgot to mention... Congrats on getting your certificate.

Edited by maktayla
  • Like 2

Thanks for the opinions one and all.

Hi mick what sort of ranges are you planning on shooting?

Reason I ask is a .22lr has the power and accuracy upto 120 yards. I use a .17hmr past these ranges.

No point I extra cost and noise if you dont need it. The .22lr is great and very quiet.

I'm not planning on shooting much over 100yards to be honest. I don't have an issue with the .22lr, but having used both the lr and wmr previously when out shooting with friends, I found that overall I preferred the general feel of the latter.

So I suppose it's just personal preference as opposed to any actual viable or sensible reason that would have me considering one.

Good point cc

Yes I think so, just going out and buying a magnum because some geezer on a forum said it was ok, is not going to wash, I dont care what people on here think, check first, to avoid a very sticky situation, is my advice, its up to you if you take it or not. :hmm:

Take a deep breath my friend, I appreciate your advice, and in no way do I intend to base my decision on what could potentially be a horrendously sticky legal situation on the opinions shared here. I fully intend to contact my FAO to discuss the matter, it just so happened that the thought was running through my head at 04:30 thismorning before I left for work, and I'm fairly sure he would have been unappreciative of a phonecall at that time.

Anyhoo, thanks for taking the time to respond chaps.

All the Best

04:30 this morning :hmm::hmm: Yes, I have to agree, dont think he would have been impressed :) . I think its all gonna come down to your personal preference. Whatever you choose, I think you'll be a happy.

All the best

Hi Captainbanana

I have to strongly agree with Charlie. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. It would probably take you longer to post your topic and read all the replies than it would to pick up the phone and contact your FEO or firearms dept. When you sat down with your firearms Officer, what did you say to him? did you ask for a .22lr or .22wmr??

When I first had my certificate it stated .22rifle, not RF WMR or LR. However I discussed having a .22LR with my FEO. I have seen topics on here where people have thought this gives them permission to buy a centrefire, say a .222. As we all know this is not the case even though it is a .22 calibre round..

Thank you sir.

I couldn't agree more, and wouldn't dream of buying a firearm of any type, without being 101% sure that I'm legally allowed to own it.

I just hope this hasn't tarred me with the brush of 'another idiot with no interest in doing things properly and legally'. I was simply seeking the opinions of people more knowledgeable and experienced than myself.

The FAO and I discussed the possibility of both during our conversation. I stated that I was more likely to go LR, based on all the facts that have been reiterated here today, WMR came up more as a previous experience topic, rather than anything else.

I don't seem to be able to reach anyone at his number thisevening, so it'll be tomorrow lunch break for a definitive answer I think.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by CaptainBanana

Its No problem CaptainBanana

You have definately not been tarred with any brush. You have done what lots of us have done. Asked a question.

After all, that's what we are here for. To share any experience we have on our sport.

Your FAO will be more than happy to answer your question and, if you're unable to get in touch with him, contact your firearms dept.

Tomorrow will be a happy day for you, once your question is answered. Then its all down to the fun and enjoyment. Choosing, buying and getting out in the field with your rifle :D

Can I ask if you have a particular rifle and set up in mind?

Hi Captainbanana

Thank you sir.

I couldn't agree more, and wouldn't dream of buying a firearm of any type, without being 101% sure that I'm legally allowed to own it.

I just hope this hasn't tarred me with the brush of 'another idiot with no interest in doing things properly and legally'. I was simply seeking the opinions of people more knowledgeable and experienced than myself.

The FAO and I discussed the possibility of both during our conversation. I stated that I was more likely to go LR, based on all the facts that have been reiterated here today, WMR came up more as a previous experience topic, rather than anything else.

I don't seem to be able to reach anyone at his number thisevening, so it'll be tomorrow lunch break for a definitive answer I think.

Cheers

Mick

You can't buy what a RFD will not sell you, so if he sells you a WMR that means he is confident. A WMR is a .22RF, no region can argue it isn't, if your FAC gives you the option to buy a .22RF you can buy one. If they meant a .22lr they should have written .22lr, they wrote .22RF (actually they commonly do). As a matter of interest does the ammo allocation also list as RF or LR?

Your region cannot take any gun, or your FAC off you because of, what they may have meant, they wrote .22RF that covers WMR, end of story!

Someone please explain to me why a .22WMR is NOT a .22RF, and why a .22RF listing only entitles you to buy a .22lr!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

Its No problem CaptainBanana

You have definately not been tarred with any brush. You have done what lots of us have done. Asked a question.

After all, that's what we are here for. To share any experience we have on our sport.

Your FAO will be more than happy to answer your question and, if you're unable to get in touch with him, contact your firearms dept.

Tomorrow will be a happy day for you, once your question is answered. Then its all down to the fun and enjoyment. Choosing, buying and getting out in the field with your rifle :D

Can I ask if you have a particular rifle and set up in mind?

Thanks bud, feeling a little out of my depth at the minute, truth be told. But I guess everybody has to start somewhere..

I'm a big fan of cz's, and there's a chap that my father in law knows, selling a 452-2E ZMK that I wouldn't mind taking a look at when me and the mrs go down to visit them this weekend. Then there's a Nikko Stirling Gameking 6-24x50 that's been shoved down the side of my sofa for the past few months waiting for my FAC to arrive, bit overkill maybe.. But I like to see what I'm shooting at :D

Hi Captainbanana

Thank you sir.

Cheers

Mick

You can't buy what a RFD will not sell you, so if he sells you a WMR that means he is confident. A WMR is a .22RF, no region can argue it isn't, if your FAC gives you the option to buy a .22RF you can buy one. If they meant a .22lr they should have written .22lr, they wrote .22RF (actually they commonly do). As a matter of interest does the ammo allocation also list as RF or LR?

Your region cannot take any gun, or your FAC off you because of, what they may have meant, they wrote .22RF that covers WMR, end of story!

Someone please explain to me why a .22WMR is NOT a .22RF, and why a .22RF listing only entitles you to buy a .22lr!

These were my initial thoughts too Deker, just wasn't sure if I was maybe assuming too much.

The ammo allocation is for 500 rounds RF.

Anyway, all shall be revealed when I speak to my FAO tomorrow

Cheers