Birds Nests And Eggs Thread

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its that time of year when birds are making their nests and laying eggs,iv been out just locally and found quite a few nest already and tbh not really looked that hard to some years so these are just

We had to change a pole over today. Inside the cable guard that was running up the side of pole was a Great Tit nest with 7 or 8 chicks. We tried our best to take the guard off as carefully as possibl

You don't see these all too often........   baby snipe......

Posted Images

johnny what nest is that with the 5 eggs in as i never seen one before but having a guess is it some sort of pippit :thumbs:

johnny what nest is that with the 5 eggs in as i never seen one before but having a guess is it some sort of pippit :thumbs:

Meadow pipit I would say.

TC

Mistle Thrush.

• Like 1

TC

Mistle Thrush.

I cocked up there big time. :yes:

TC

TC

Mistle Thrush.

I cocked up there big time. :yes:

TC

:icon_redface::laugh:

• Like 1

tiercel you cant get a perspective on the size from a photo and the colour looks wrong as iv had plenty of mistlethrush eggs but for some reason they look different and look like their reddish in colour its still baffling me tbh :yes:

• Like 1

Here goes.

1. Tufted duck

2. Redleg Partridge

3. Skylark

4. Coot

5. Sparrow Hawk

6. Lapwing

7. Blackbird

8. Songthrush

9. Red Grouse

10. not sure but I think it may be a Linnet.

????

TC

7/10

tiercel you cant get a perspective on the size from a photo and the colour looks wrong as iv had plenty of mistlethrush eggs but for some reason they look different and look like their reddish in colour its still baffling me tbh :yes:

Dead right pip, its always hard to get scale with a pic. I've seen Mistle Thrush eggs that are almost fully red/brown and seen them without hardly any speckling on too.

Dead right pip, its always hard to get scale with a pic. I've seen Mistle Thrush eggs that are almost fully red/brown and seen them without hardly any speckling on too.

This species lays three to five eggs, which are pale blue to bluish-green, with reddish-brown and purplish spots. The eggs hatch after around 12 to 15 days, and the young mistle thrushes fledge at 14 to 16 days old, although they remain dependent on the adults for a further 15 to 20 days. The breeding pair may raise a second brood in the same season, with the male often taking responsibility for the care of the young while the female lays the second clutch. The mistle thrush has lived to an impressive 21 years in the wild (

:laugh: It wasn't that, I cocked up thinking the first photo had 5 eggs and did not go back to check when I answered your question. Funnily enough I have never found a Mistle thrushes nest nor did I know of anyone that had. Yet I was brought up in a similar valley to Johnny. :thumbs:

TC

:laugh: It wasn't that, I cocked up thinking the first photo had 5 eggs and did not go back to check when I answered your question. Funnily enough I have never found a Mistle thrushes nest nor did I know of anyone that had. Yet I was brought up in a similar valley to Johnny. :thumbs:

TC

Theres always been Mistle Thrushes in my area T, them blackbirds and songy's were always the nests we'd find as kids.

I had my second outing nesting this afternoon. Another disaster, :icon_redface: I did find a couple of wrens nests but not one that was being used. Funny how some simple things I had forgotten about come back to you. Like if your looking for water birds wear fecking wellies :laugh: I did see a grey wagtail with building material, and spent an hour trying to capture a photo of a dipper, they never stay in one place more than a couple of seconds, after I seen it seeing off a Carrion Crow I know roughly the area the nests will be in, but no fecking wellies to have a good look. :laugh:

First good looking spot for a wren.

swissvalley025_zps137641b1.jpg

But no luck just a last years Song Thrush and Wren.

swissvalley022_zpscc20bb85.jpg

swissvalley024_zps1443ea2c.jpg

A bit further up the brook and another likely place.

swissvalley030_zps7097e021.jpg

This time a new nest

swissvalley029_zpscd5e4f5b.jpg

But not been lined unfortunately. The male Wren builds the carcasses of many nests then invites his female to pick one, she will then line the nest she has picked. However, that is not the end of it, as he will try and show other females the nests that are left and they sometimes accept a nest. A male Wren has been known to have up to three different females in his nests.

TC

1. Tufted duck

2. Redleg Partridge Grey Partridge

3. Skylark Meadow Pipit

4. Coot Moorhen

5. Sparrow Hawk

6. Lapwing

7. Blackbird

8. Songthrush

9. Red Grouse

10. not sure but I think it may be a Linnet.

?

TC