Birds Nests And Eggs Thread

Mistle thrush on the ground? Do they nest on the ground? I have never ever seen a Mistle Thrush nest or eggs. So am willing to be taught. :thumbs:

TC

i know what your saying allan but the eggs are throwing me as i cant judge the size and they just look like them could well be wrong

I was going on the shape of the eggs typical ground nesting bird shape, conical so that they sit tidy in the nest. what threw me was that there looked a concerted effort to build a nest which most birds who lay that shape eggs do not do, it is usually just a scrape in the ground. I went for the plover as they do like to nest in heather and along with some bracken and dry grasses in the nest make up, it does look like a bird that nests on moorland.

I will be very interested to learn what nest it is, that's for sure. :thumbs:

TC

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its that time of year when birds are making their nests and laying eggs,iv been out just locally and found quite a few nest already and tbh not really looked that hard to some years so these are just

We had to change a pole over today. Inside the cable guard that was running up the side of pole was a Great Tit nest with 7 or 8 chicks. We tried our best to take the guard off as carefully as possibl

You don't see these all too often........   baby snipe......

Posted Images

Mistle thrush on the ground? Do they nest on the ground? I have never ever seen a Mistle Thrush nest or eggs. So am willing to be taught. :thumbs:

TC

i know what your saying allan but the eggs are throwing me as i cant judge the size and they just look like them could well be wrong

I was going on the shape of the eggs typical ground nesting bird shape, conical so that they sit tidy in the nest. what threw me was that there looked a concerted effort to build a nest which most birds who lay that shape eggs do not do, it is usually just a scrape in the ground. I went for the plover as they do like to nest in heather and along with some bracken and dry grasses in the nest make up, it does look like a bird that nests on moorland.

I will be very interested to learn what nest it is, that's for sure. :thumbs:

TC

my mate said it might be a sandpiper need an egg book really :thumbs:

• Like 1

Oops, :icon_redface: you are correct teircel. When I found the nest the only birds nearby were a pair of Dunlins and even though the eggs look slightly different as you'll know they can vary slightly from one area to another. After you posted there was a doubt in my mind so I went back up to see if I could spot the bird going onto or coming off the nest and sure enough it was a Common Sandpiper, seen the Dunlins again but they were only flying up and down the burn, Cheers.

This little fella got separated from its siblings so I gave it a helping hand, hope it'll be ok...

is it a lapwing chick mate but could also be probably a plover :thumbs:

Well spotted pip, it's a lapwing.

Well I think it's a plover, A Green Plover. ;)

This little fella got separated from its siblings so I gave it a helping hand, hope it'll be ok...

Naw it's a Peewit. :D

• Like 1

allan whats a green plover ffs :laugh::laugh:

Naw it's a Peewit. :D

beat me to it