Help With Fishing In General

hi all. i havent had much experience fishing but i do enjoy it. however im lucky to get one fish in the space of 5 hours no matter where i go. im wondering if someone can just spell it out for me. amount of feed (for carp), intervals of feed. rigs. rods. methods. baits. (the cheaper the better) casting intervals. tight lines or slack. do i change swims or stay.

thanks in advance

get some books read and watch some videos that's the easiest way to learn basics pal, be here all night if i tried telling you here, couple of little tips here though

fish at dusk or dawn

make sure you've plumbed your depth

bread is a good bait

experience, get out there and learn

not telling you out else you might get as good as me then :boogy: hope these little tips point you in the right direction :thumbs:

• Like 1

Read read read and if possible get someone with a wealth of experience to take you out. I learnt by reading... A lot, going out and giving it a bash and learning from my dad. If you stick at it and can handle many blank days you'll get there eventually. A good location helps as well, you can't catch a fish if there aren't any out there. You still fishing that old pond? I'm by no means an expert or anywhere close but I'll have a look out with you if you want Michael. Just pm me.

fish the features, and dont forget the margins. specially now the waters warming up, bait up a few swims and switch between them. travel light and look for the fish if you can. im not a fan of sitting in a bivvy for a week behind multiple bite alarms (no offence to those that do) i carry all i need in a rucksack , 1 rod and a landing net, get a good set of poleroids and stalk the margins. i fish on the surface most of the time just free lineing a dog biscuit or bread crust. its the most exiteing form of carp fishing in my opinion! good luck mate :victory:

Read read read and if possible get someone with a wealth of experience to take you out. I learnt by reading... A lot, going out and giving it a bash and learning from my dad. If you stick at it and can handle many blank days you'll get there eventually. A good location helps as well, you can't catch a fish if there aren't any out there. You still fishing that old pond? I'm by no means an expert or anywhere close but I'll have a look out with you if you want Michael. Just pm me.

no ive moved on from there. i recently tried "carrs angling lakes" and i might just take you up on that!!

Oh right, so it's not the location then because I didn't have much hope for you in that pond :laugh: . Aye we'll arrange it sometime then, personally i'm like air gun ant and prefer to stalk them and drop my bait on top of them but I've sat in a bivvy before as well so it's up to you, I'll impart what knowledge I can. I owe you a trip out anyway, I did say I would.

reading will only get you so far nowt beats getting out and doing it you could try setting a lighter rod up for roach/perch while waiting for the carp when you,ve got them feeding alot of the time the carp will come and shove their noses in pull your carp rod in copy the set up of the lighter rod feed little but often if the carp dont show you may have a net full of little ones

You can only catch whats in front of you. Find the fish and your almost there. Also, Im not a fan of doing this, but have a chat with the other lads, see what they are using, but be prepared for lies. I never tell anyone but the 2 or 3 lads I fish with as most of the time we`re all on the same bait any how.

Have you tried pva bags or method feeder? They are usually a good start as you will pick all types of fish of all sizes, just tailor the size of your hook bait.

i have only tried ledgering on the bottom and floating on the bottom. i friend told me to try fishing for perch and roach as carp can be right little messers. dont suppose any of you peeps know of a pond near to newton aycliffe with roach??

no ive moved on from there. i recently tried "carrs angling lakes" and i might just take you up on that!!

The carrs fishing lakes are decent enough little ponds. I didnt know about the ponds untill a month ago, been there twice now and and both days caught well. You'll get carp all day long on the feeder cast tight to an island. They are not massive carp, my biggest is 8lb but had plenty of 5/6lbers. Good fun and I'll be going again

Edited by swaino

Have you tried fishing for them at night? My faveroute carp venue is pants through the day, when night falls its another story all together - runs all night. Give it a go and I wouldn't be surprised if you get a few.

Tight lines

Tom.

Try an get someone with a bit of experience to take you out and ask why for everything he tells you, if he picks a swim, ask why this one, if he say's cast to a certain place, ask him why and you should start to understand fish behaviour, good luck. :thumbs: