Sure Fire Way To Bag Plenty Of Crows?

Please can i have advice on a sure fire way to bag more crows, i've tried decoys plastic and dead baits but can't seem to get it right. As i've discovered they have an eyesight that would make a spy satalite envious.......buggers! Even when staying perfectly still they seem to sense something ain't right and bank away at a fair rate of knots.

Please help

Andy.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Round here on the edge of the moors you will really struggle with plastic deeks and a pigeon shooting type net hide. I build a hide in place with nets, pallets, branches even old farm machinery a week

But you only use the electric crow caller like the rest of us to bring them in to take photgraphs

Tried one once & the crows wouldn't give it a 2nd glance

Posted Images

Andy; I have / had (?) a photo. I'm not at liberty to show it as it's not mine and the person who showed me asked me not to publish it, as it wasn't there's either.

But, for what it's worth? I can tell you that it depicted an Eagle Owl 'decoy' ~ ye know the big, plastic things? Sat behind the biggest pile of fresh, dead, carrion crows I have ever seen in my life! :icon_eek:

A side be side 12 bore rested on the heap. That's all I know.

Sorry I can't help ye with more specific information. Like how the shooter hid himself. Did he use a call. Whatever. I simply don't know myself.

But, there's ye clue. Eagle Owl deek ;)

• Like 2

Andy; I have / had (?) a photo. I'm not at liberty to show it as it's not mine and the person who showed me asked me not to publish it, as it wasn't there's either.

But, for what it's worth? I can tell you that it depicted an Eagle Owl 'decoy' ~ ye know the big, plastic things? Sat behind the biggest pile of fresh, dead, carrion crows I have ever seen in my life! :icon_eek:

A side be side 12 bore rested on the heap. That's all I know.

Sorry I can't help ye with more specific information. Like how the shooter hid himself. Did he use a call. Whatever. I simply don't know myself.

But, there's ye clue. Eagle Owl deek ;)

Cheers Outlaw Pete, i'll see if i can get an eagle owl decoy. Once again thank's for the tip :-)

Andy.

often can depend on what other people have used in the same vicinity, if they've been decoyed often it doesn't take them long to catch on. Best decoying I find with corvids is if you can get them coming over the top of you from behind that way they are always looking over you at the decoys, when coming in from in front it's easy to come up too soon and then they flare

Edited by brucemyster
  • Like 1

I always find when shooting crows that a dead rabbit opened up and one crow decoy brings them in range to start with, then some of the dead crows I put back out, though to many decoys out do at times make them wary,also a well camouflaged hide (natural cover is best) and that includes the shooter is very important, always were a face veil and keep very still while they get in range,if they are turning away at distance they are seeing something they consider not right so you will need to change tactics.

• Like 1

Hi mate, I use 12 flocked crow decoys and put about 4 close together and then the rest into a sort of circle but not to obvious if you know what I mean. Then use an electronic crow caller, I set up about 5am and by about 12-1pm normally have around 80 in the bag.. Atb

• Like 1

Hi mate, I use 12 flocked crow decoys and put about 4 close together and then the rest into a sort of circle but not to obvious if you know what I mean. Then use an electronic crow caller, I set up about 5am and by about 12-1pm normally have around 80 in the bag.. Atb

But you only use the electric crow caller like the rest of us to bring them in to take photgraphs :yes:

• Like 4

I'm with MIK, It was very clearly meant as 80 good quality photos in the bag!

Barky, let me know when you upgrade from that old Polaroid camera of yours. Give yourself to the dark side...go digital.

Back at the original post....

Yesterday I managed to get 12-15 crows circling over a handful of decoys in about 2-3 minutes, while on my lunch break. I had 4 woody deeks and 1 crow deek about 5 meters from the 4 woodies in the office garden. As soon as I was back in the office, loads of crows were circling overhead. I was just trying out different patterns, and if I had a shotgun with me, would have hit a nice bag for a couple of minutes effort.

What sized shooting bags (not photos) are you currently getting, and what size are you looking to increase to?

• Like 1