• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Far be it from me to get in the middle of yous debate.........but regardless of the rights and wrongs thats some shooting well done that man very impressive.

That's kind of the beauty of the catty.   Can stop the car at the side of the road, bag a woody for the pot and be on your way. No one bats an eyelid.   That's the way it should stay.

Aye all good mate cheers, had baby at 10 past 1 this morn an both home now relaxing

Ocet,

Without being sarcastic that is impressive, you do not get a shot at those birds without having some skill, in stalking or decoying. Those photos are to be admired, unlike a moulting mallard taken off a canal. Yes you have to hit the bird in the right place to effect a kill, but hunting is about more than the kill, and as you have flown a Musket you will know what I am on about. The hardest flights are usually the best, really testing and when they pull it off the most satisfying. How many really good flights have you seen where the bird did not make the kill, but did it matter to you? And how many muggings have you seen that left you disappointed?

Think about it.

TC

Ocet,

Without being sarcastic that is impressive, you do not get a shot at those birds without having some skill, in stalking or decoying. Those photos are to be admired, unlike a moulting mallard taken off a canal. Yes you have to hit the bird in the right place to effect a kill, but hunting is about more than the kill, and as you have flown a Musket you will know what I am on about. The hardest flights are usually the best, really testing and when they pull it off the most satisfying. How many really good flights have you seen where the bird did not make the kill, but did it matter to you? And how many muggings have you seen that left you disappointed?

Think about it.

TC

I'll concede that. I won't fly from the car because of the poor quality flights that you get and the fact that it's just killing. Maybe you could to build a birds confidence but it's not for me. I'd much rather stalk up on something and then get a slip from the glove and watch that flight. You're quite right, if the quarry gets away after flying well I'd always be pleased.

I use a catapult to give the quarry more of a chance than with a gun. You have to realistically get within 15 yards of your target to achieve a kill. I know I often post about longer kills but I've been at this catapult lark a very long time and have had a lot of practice. I always try for a headshot. It makes it that little bit harder and results in less woundings. I don't necessarily disagree with you, I just disagree with the way the sermon is preached.

• Like 3

End of the day mate, you try and hit an egg sized target from the opposite end of the canal and then tell me if it needs skill or not

So you're not content with shooting stuff out of season! Now you want to shoot the young even before they've left the egg!!!! Looooooll!!

• Like 1

Tiercel, are you avoiding answering my questions for fear of your lack of knowledge and experience being exposed?

If you must be answered She was in yarak @ 3lb 1oz would follow on up to 3lb 3.5oz The reason she would not take pheasants is because there are no shoots in this area and the nearest ones you could not get permission within a couple of miles of them.

Does that help?

TC

Tiercel, are you avoiding answering my questions for fear of your lack of knowledge and experience being exposed?

If you must be answered She was in yarak @ 3lb 1oz would follow on up to 3lb 3.5oz The reason she would not take pheasants is because there are no shoots in this area and the nearest ones you could not get permission within a couple of miles of them.

Does that help?

TC

Hefty bird that. How was she at hunting?

Ocet,

Think about it.

TC

I'll concede that. I won't fly from the car because of the poor quality flights that you get and the fact that it's just killing. Maybe you could to build a birds confidence but it's not for me. I'd much rather stalk up on something and then get a slip from the glove and watch that flight. You're quite right, if the quarry gets away after flying well I'd always be pleased.

I use a catapult to give the quarry more of a chance than with a gun. You have to realistically get within 15 yards of your target to achieve a kill. I know I often post about longer kills but I've been at this catapult lark a very long time and have had a lot of practice. I always try for a headshot. It makes it that little bit harder and results in less woundings. I don't necessarily disagree with you, I just disagree with the way the sermon is preached.

A mate of mine flies Merlins at skylarks over a GWP it does not happen often but when you get a ringing flight it is a sight to behold, that contest between the Merlin and the Lark as to who can get the highest before breaking, is pure nature. It is always nice if you can get a kill for the bird, but as you know not every flight is quality and the hawk does get a bit of luck sometimes. You say about your Blackbird licence I know some exceed their licence limit but if you slip a musket at a woodcock and a blackie gets in the way how do you stop it taking the blackbird? Simple answer is you can't. However, that is totally different to purposely taking a shot at an out of season semi tame bird.

TC

Does that help?

TC

Hefty bird that. How was she at hunting?

To be honest she was not the best I have had but that was not really her fault more of the mixie. She was pretty clued up on squirrels though and was a bugger when following on as she would bugger off looking for them and not follow the GWP.

TC

BPR doesn't always cruise around in his car poaching pigeons from lamppost's

1....Great shooting bud

2....canny believe you've called yourself "Sharpshooter"......maybe change the cammo jacket for a cape and a mask next time....hahahaha ya fud....?

Does that help?

TC

Yep! ?

BPR doesn't always cruise around in his car poaching pigeons from lamppost's

1....Great shooting bud

2....canny believe you've called yourself "Sharpshooter"......maybe change the cammo jacket for a cape and a mask next time....hahahaha ya fud....

I believe it's the name of the monthly competition he enters rather than a user name, fud piece would've been more suited.......