Lost Buck ,proper Gutted.

Just in from a third look for a buck I shot last night.Very strange occurance to be honest.

Stalked a farm yesterday eve where there is a very wide hedge deviding the boundary .I came over a brow to see a very good buck with a doe just step out the hedge and start feeding on a bramble.I was in full view so slowly sank to crawling position .Got into about 150 yds when the bucks head went up and stared in my direction.I was rumbled.Cranked up the mag to 12 and squeezed off a round as he had turned broadside.He signalled and followed the doe into the cover .This thick hedge has a stream through the middle with a drop to it of 15 metres or so then a steep rise to a field with a tiny spinney added about here .I heard what I thought was him drop in the stream so sauntered over to the shot site .Pins and blood everywhere and along the hedge to where they went in .From here on in nothing .Spread the search out wider and wider but nothing.Searched along the stram as this was the sound i heard.Searched for 2 hours retracing and retracking until it got too dark .Phoned a mate with a dog but he was out drinking but said he could make this morning .Back there at 6.30 this morn but over night torrential ran had washed all blood away ,not a trace and no buck found .Very disappointed but decided to go back this eve with another mate and widen the search.Nothing despite doing a 400 yd circle and working back in .I hate these times as he's dead somewhere for sure .The undergrowth is high here but no excuses ,I messed up .

Just in from a third look for a buck I shot last night.Very strange occurance to be honest.

Stalked a farm yesterday eve where there is a very wide hedge deviding the boundary .I came over a brow to see a very good buck with a doe just step out the hedge and start feeding on a bramble.I was in full view so slowly sank to crawling position .Got into about 150 yds when the bucks head went up and stared in my direction.I was rumbled.Cranked up the mag to 12 and squeezed off a round as he had turned broadside.He signalled and followed the doe into the cover .This thick hedge has a stream through the middle with a drop to it of 15 metres or so then a steep rise to a field with a tiny spinney added about here .I heard what I thought was him drop in the stream so sauntered over to the shot site .Pins and blood everywhere and along the hedge to where they went in .From here on in nothing .Spread the search out wider and wider but nothing.Searched along the stram as this was the sound i heard.Searched for 2 hours retracing and retracking until it got too dark .Phoned a mate with a dog but he was out drinking but said he could make this morning .Back there at 6.30 this morn but over night torrential ran had washed all blood away ,not a trace and no buck found .Very disappointed but decided to go back this eve with another mate and widen the search.Nothing despite doing a 400 yd circle and working back in .I hate these times as he's dead somewhere for sure .The undergrowth is high here but no excuses ,I messed up .

. Runner bigger area search amazed dog never got on it though.
  • Like 1

Nightmare, everybody's worst fear.....I am training a wee Teckel at the moment, just to avoid this. We lost a spiker last year, wasnt me who shot it, but we were both gutted at losing it....

The dog is a GWP.Decent by all accounts but couldnt make anything of the washed out trail .Cannot make head nor tail of it really as not come across this situation before.The bloodtrail ceasing from a good squirt to nothing is bafffling enough without not finding the animal dead in the stream.Should have phoned a few more in hindsight but i was convinced i would find it before long, dead .In reply to Alimac the reason i dont have a deer dog at mo is that ive not long pts my own lurcher that was first rate dead or alive on them .Mate has one in training so wont be long hopeful .Should have phoned Unlaced gecko but forgot him . Stalking directory is putting together a list of dog men for deerfinding which is a bloody good idea .

• Like 1