• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We'll last year the blue tits nested in a bird box in the garden and it kept me occupied watching all summer so during the winter I have purchased a camera box and put it in the place of my old bird b

Just an update in case anyone is still interested, they have continued building the nest and its getting quite high and close to the camera now, thank god they have stopped filling the box and started

Posted Images

She has been keeping the eggs well and truly buried in moss and feathers so I haven't been able to see anything as when they aren't buried she is sat on them but she just left the nest 5 mins ago and she left it uncovered...

IMAG0066_zps3dcba3e5.jpg

6 eggs!

She is not incubating them yet as she is never in through the day but sits on them at night still covered in moss, maybe this is so she doesn't warwm them up and start incubating them? So they all hatch at the same time?

If this is the case then hopefully she will lay a few more. The tree the box is in is a cherry tree and there's plenty of food for them.

Sometimes when she is in the box he drops in and feeds her, she chirps and opens her mouth just like a chick. Iv seen him feeding her when she has been sat in the tree also.

So far its looking promising, and learning a lot about them and there behaviour along the way.

Cheers

Tom.

It looks as tho she has just laid another egg, must be why she uncovered them, she was laid in the nest head down and panting fast again here's a video clip....

th_VIDEO0015_zps73a7a65d.jpg

And now she has covered them up again so hopefully she just laid another egg.

Edited by tomburras

She didn't quite cover them up fully before she went out and now there's 7 eggs....

IMAG0068_zpsc0b31af9.jpg

So she was laying an egg! as now her breathing is normal again and while typing this now she has covered them up properly. She has done this at nearly exactly the same time every night but this time she left them uncovered enough time to see how many there was.

Edited by tomburras
  • Like 1

Iv not forgotten to update but nothing much is going on while she is incubating. She ended up laying 9 eggs in the end and she is now on them constantly. She only leaves to go to the toilet I think. The male often brings her food mainly catapillars but yesterday he brought her quite a big worm which hung out of her mouth for about 5 mins while she was desperately trying to swallow it, got quite concerned but she never started choking and it dissapeared down her throat in the end.

She slept in there every night but up until she had finished laying she covered them in moss each night, pressumabley so she wasn't warming them up as she slept on them - when she finished she uncovered them and incubated them, presumably so she started incubating them all at the same time?

Cheers, tom.

• Like 1

Finally they have hatched! I was at a show so missed it but had pics sent while I was out......

IMAG0088_zps376bb989.jpg

IMAG0089_zps0335e2e1.jpg

And a video of them been fed......

th_VIDEO0017_zps2b2f6d1d.jpg

Amazing how tiny they are, the parents are feeding them catapillers which you can see them breaking up in there beaks first. She still sits on them most of the time.

Those are some pretty amazing photos you have supplied.

I apologise for the picture quality been bad its only a black and white camera and hard and made worse once the computer has blown them up too.

Brilliant Tom !

Bet you glad you got that box now

Yes matt sure am, its been very interesting to see!

They are growing fast now, when I get in from work its a shock to see how fast. The parents are working hard to feed them, the female sits on them 50% of the time and the male is doing most of the feed collecting sometimes feeding her too. Sometimes he is only gone 10 second and he is back with a catapiller, there must be lots of food to go at in the cherry tree. The chicks poo into a sack and the female picks them up and carries them out of the box - if seen her feed a couple of them back to the chicks too! Here's a video clip.....

th_VIDEO0019_zps4e97b629.jpg

Check out this video of the smallest chick in the nest trying to get all the next food drop off from the male and beat the others.....

th_VIDEO0020_zps4543fa74.jpg

Cheers. Tom.