Hunting With Hawks And Lurchers?

SAFalconer

More or less same way as a falcon, hawks generaly take more convincing to bond with dogs as they primarily see them as predators, again the quicker the dog shows the bird opportunities leading too kills the quicker the team improves, again fitness is essential, strength as well, so good physical conditioning required, feed plenty hare , again carcass lure big rewards for efforts, try to get close slips on young hares and as the season kicks on hopefully bird keep going at em, dog subdues hare if hawk allows they soon learn too cos the reward good feed

Could be a recipe for disaster,I dont understand why people use terriers or lurchers with a hawk when there are much safer dogs to use.Any of the gundog breeds make more sense as their very nature makes them a better choice, a lurcher or terrier is more likely to pile in when the hawk binds to its quarry.

A friend of mine worked his russell with his Harris for many seasons and one day when the russell was hot on its rabbit the hawk nailed it and the russell piled in.The hawk footed the russell and due to the nature of a terrier it retaliated and took off the hawks back talon rendering her useless as a hunting bird.

men worked saluki with falcon long long before there where pointers springers etc my dogs never piled ointo the bird, the birds been helped many times over by the dog and knows the dogs role well, I concede its does not suit all types of dogs very much down to the individual. Ive found harris hawks seem to govern most dogs they accept around them, my spaniel would not dare put a foot wrong , nor would my terrier or lurcher

men worked saluki with falcon long long before there where pointers springers etc my dogs never piled ointo the bird, the birds been helped many times over by the dog and knows the dogs role well, I concede its does not suit all types of dogs very much down to the individual. Ive found harris hawks seem to govern most dogs they accept around them, my spaniel would not dare put a foot wrong , nor would my terrier or lurcher

I know this but I wouldn't like to risk it they are all pursuing the rabbit/hare whatever,I just prefer a dog to flush and leave the pursuit to the hawk everyone to their own.

• 1 month later...

Men flew falcons with sighthounds on various game centuries before european falconry, yes its an over match and sometimes not pretty but hey killing is killing atbthe en of the day, birds can be focused to work quarry they would maybe try only once in wild, its the team work thats the attraction most times its goes wrong and quarry clean escpaes but just sometimes it goes right

• Like 1