Aussie Pig Dogs

Just going through the posts about Mitch and his Staghound and I had to smile at the replies about dogs letting go. Any good pig hunter should always be prepared for that sought of thing to happen, a hard Bull type ( I have F!@#ing hard Bull types) may be seriously injured, may loose his grip through ear shredding or several other variables, a savvy pig hunter should always be prepared to go one on one with the pig, once the back legs are controlled the pig is helpless, roll it and stick it. If an individual is concerned about getting hurt they shouldn't be there as they are putting their dogs safety in jepardy. A stag hound is smart enough to know if he can't out muscle a big boar so will bail, the hunter can then shoot the pig or take control of the back legs. It is my experience that people that bang on about the use of 'hard dogs' have generally caught very few pigs. Any dog that takes on a good boar one out, whether by lugging it or bailing it successfully is a pig dog in my eyes. A bailing dog will not get injured like a lugging dog either, every lugging dog with some good pigs under his belt will always have numerous scars. Mitch I really enjoyed your post and pics, cheers.

Cheers for the comments mate. Im dont hunt pigs much at all infact that was my first and only pig, And in the end we got him. He didnt blow the dogs off and get away, so the dogs did there Job and we got the pig. It shouldnt matter what breed the dog is or how it catches the pig, I like to think that if the dogs can aid the fella to catch and kill the pig then that is good enough for me.

I got my dog for rabbits, and its good to think if i come accross a pig i would have a chance at catching him. But most importantly I had a great day out that day no matter what game we caught to me nothing beats seeing those dogs flat out accross the flats.

cheers again mate.

Hey Mitch, I'm starting to get into some lurcher work with Stabs, even if he is a rude f!@#er, My Great Grandad used to breed Stags in Victoria and he and my Grandfather did a lot of work with them.

Really looking forward to getting into a heap of work with my rude friends dog, we have a big burrow system on our place and it needs working over.

I love my Bulls, but running dogs are a lot more versatile, and at the end of the day I think u could have a lot more fun with them.

• 2 weeks later...
Just going through the posts about Mitch and his Staghound and I had to smile at the replies about dogs letting go. Any good pig hunter should always be prepared for that sought of thing to happen, a hard Bull type ( I have F!@#ing hard Bull types) may be seriously injured, may loose his grip through ear shredding or several other variables, a savvy pig hunter should always be prepared to go one on one with the pig, once the back legs are controlled the pig is helpless, roll it and stick it. If an individual is concerned about getting hurt they shouldn't be there as they are putting their dogs safety in jepardy. A stag hound is smart enough to know if he can't out muscle a big boar so will bail, the hunter can then shoot the pig or take control of the back legs. It is my experience that people that bang on about the use of 'hard dogs' have generally caught very few pigs. Any dog that takes on a good boar one out, whether by lugging it or bailing it successfully is a pig dog in my eyes. A bailing dog will not get injured like a lugging dog either, every lugging dog with some good pigs under his belt will always have numerous scars. Mitch I really enjoyed your post and pics, cheers.

would lugging be the same as being gritty :hmm: