Hawk trap

STUNTMAN

I built this today for a falconer in south jersey that gets call outs for migrating hawks that get stuck inside big warehouses. Pigeons in the bottom, hawk flies in hits the trip stick, he’s trapped. Now let’s see if it works. I built it off the Swedish goshawk trap design. If you have chickens/pigeons getting worked over by hawks like I do lol, I think it would work.

post-10472-1191550008_thumb.jpg

post-10472-1191550063_thumb.jpg

post-10472-1191550076_thumb.jpg

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Damn! So that's how they work then?

For decades now I've owned a copy of James Bateman; " Animal Traps and Trapping ". I just glanced back at it, there on the shelf. Only I can't be arsed to go over that six foot divide and pull it out just to cite the page references. Yeppers; On my last legs here. 'Long' day!

Anyway, in there he shows one of the german looking Net traps. Obviously the same principal. Pigeon caged at the bottom, only in this case the trap is an automated clap net. Cute thing is that, when the trap fires, the pigeon's set free. When he arrives back at the loft, matey knows he has one and so sets off to visit his trap! How cool is that? :clapper:

Mate of mine's actually bought one of those ones. He's a Trap Collector and it's a piece of art to him, of course. Me too. I don't want to catch hawks. But I wondered ~ though never enough to bother my mate with the question ~ how they fired. Now I guess I know.

What I'm now wondering though is: How come the hawk hits the stick in the first place? I'm imagining he does so with his feet, as he aims for the pigeon. I really know jack about hawks behaviour. I can only surmise then that they'll crash in there, kicking sticks out of their way, to get at their intended victim?

F*ck me! They must be hard as nails or mad as a box of frogs! :icon_eek:

Thanks, Stuntman; Once again ye've brought us something fasinating both to look at and discuss! :D:good:

You have made a cracking job of that Stuntman :thumbs:. I have seen pic's of this design used in other countries but never seen one first hand in the uk.

I know a guy who Imported Goshawks from Finland in the late 70's, he told me that the trapper used a method with Homing Pigeons setting traps within a few miles of his cabin, each pigeon was banded a different colour with reference to each trap. basically the Goshawk crashes into the trap and a release mechanism releases the Pigeon, The pigeon would then return back to the loft telling the trapper this particular trap was sprung....

Cheers

Jasper

DS-I didnt messure it, put I would guess that its around 3 lb. of force to trigger it. Also if a Coopers miss the stick, it can be triggered by pushing it side ways.

Jasper- That I dea of the homing pigeon thing is brillant!.

• 6 months later...

How long did it take to build? I am not very handy when it comes to building things and I wanted to see if it was something complicated to do. I read the over the materials needed and it doesnt seem to hard but like I said I am not a builder. I also live in central jersey closer to southern jersey if you would like to build one for me.

• 2 weeks later...
You have made a cracking job of that Stuntman :thumbs:. I have seen pic's of this design used in other countries but never seen one first hand in the uk.

I know a guy who Imported Goshawks from Finland in the late 70's, he told me that the trapper used a method with Homing Pigeons setting traps within a few miles of his cabin, each pigeon was banded a different colour with reference to each trap. basically the Goshawk crashes into the trap and a release mechanism releases the Pigeon, The pigeon would then return back to the loft telling the trapper this particular trap was sprung....

Cheers

Jasper

thats a fecking clever idea, bet it saved him hours

Hey I like that - gives me an idea or two that does.

Good job Stuntman

And your a Mod :hmm:

Yep Miles am I and perhaps you're right I should have been more specific.

I like the design and the way the two sides close to capture the bird. I think that aspect of the trap has many applications for other target species. I was thinking primarily of a magpie trap with a call bird in the 'cage'. Alternatively it might work as trap for other corvids based on a baited set.

It would take some thinking through though to ensure that the sizes were right.

I was not advocating trapping wild hawks, which clearly you thought I was. I hope that clears things up.