Guest shaheen

Ive alway's paunched first as Brown hare's have a strong smell even when freshly killed,if left in after few day's hanging it's not the nicest job in the world and ive must have prepared hundred's over the year's.

Cheers

Shaheen

Edited by shaheen

I remember my gran hanging one in the porch for a while with its throat cut wide ,guts in .The blood was collected for use in the gravy making .She pot roasted it with all the veg but god did it smell rank .No amount of disguise could cover up that rotten hare ,yet my grandad thought it was the dogs bollocks .I'd rather slow cook a saddle these days and give the rest to the ferrets ,fresh .

Guest Ditch_Shitter
anyone give me any good recipes

Roast the f*cking thing like any other meat, mate. Delicious! And don't expect to be able to get through more than a third of it at a sitting either! :icon_eek:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

If ye asking me, Daz? Personally, I'd gut the f*cker straight away and - in this cooler weather - leave it hanging about no more than a night or two. Frankly, I'd be just as happy to eat it the day it died, like most other things. I mean, please don't be sucked in by all this Hanging stuff. Have ye ever smelled, let alone tasted what a " Well hung pheasent " is really like? It stinks like f*cking shit as it roasts. Will stink the house out and make ye family sick and furious. Then ..... well; If ye really want to put that caramel brown coloured meat in ye mouth and smile and say how f*ckin enjoyable it is? Fair play to ye! Myself, I took one tiny morsal. Spat it out in disgust and slung the whole, rotten carcass in the bin.

No. I wasn't brought up to subsist on rotted meat. I have no taste for it what so ever. I generally like to eat anything within twenty four hours of killing it. Always tasted just fine to me. Over night generally does me for 'hanging' dead game. Just to let it cool off and because I'm usually too knackered by then to bother with doing anything else with it.

Remember; This whole thing about Hanging game simply stemmed from necessity. In the days before fridges and freezers, they'd shoot half an estate full of birds in one day. Then what were they going to do with them all? So it became a 'Thing' to announce how putrified ye liked ye meat. It's like the guys who brag of enjoying tindaloo. Curries too stemmed from people with the good sense to try and smother the rank filth of rotten meat they were eating.

So I guess there's ye polars, really. Cook it now and enjoy it. Or hang it up for god knows how long, then curry the hell out of it so ye don't have to taste rotten flesh :laugh:

Must say, I envy ye. Haven't had a nice bit of hare in ages. Plenty around here, but we don't touch them.

Gut him hang him if you want like you say Ditch no need in the era of the fridge best way is to use the legs and back in a roasting tin with a couple of half onions cover with foil the onions will stop it drying out.

I often put potatoes and carrots in as well then put it on a low light for when i get back in

Eat the back hot and then carve the legs as cold meat thats all i do nowadays ive jugged em and curried them in the past but you not beat it roasted after youve eaten a fair number of em :thumbs:

We never hang hare: just butcher and joint it straight away and bang it in the freezer: that seems to tenderise it well. Must admit I've never been a fan of roast hare: a bit dry even if you do slather it in lamb fat and bacon.

I always stew it: simmer first just covered in water or water and wine or water and beer, with an onion and some mixed herbs. Lid on. when it's tender and meat falling off bones, get it out, put your veggies etc into the liquid: celery, leeks, carrots, tates and garlic if you like it. You can cheat and add a Cook in Sauce at this stage to thicken the liquid, or you can make it yourself by melting a lump of butter or lamb fat in a saucepan, add a couple of tablespoons of flour, cook slowly stirring all the time for about 5 minutes: don't burn it. Then little by little add about 1" pint of the liquid stirring all the time until you get a thickish sauce: then chuck that back into your big pot with the veggies and hare which you'll have taken off the bone. Simmer with lid on until veggies are cooked. About 20 minutes. Don't forget to add salt and pepper when you make the sauce. You can also add a stock cube for more flavour. And I always add a good lump of lamb fat which I save from when I've roasted breast of lamb. or use butter or marge as hare has no fat on it.

Best with dumplings: yum yum!

Dead easy to make: 200 grams flour, 75 grams suet (Atora is the most common make: looks like rice grains), 2 teaspoons baking powder. Mix all together and add enough cold water to make a sticky dough. Spoon lumps of the dough on to the rest of the stew and simmer with lid on for 15 minutes.

Bon appetit!