I've watched this section for years now and i have noticed a bit of a pattern.

During Buck season, thus section is bursting at the seams.lads shooting :cry: bucks left right and center. Yey come doe season theres not as much activity.

just wondering if theres a particular reason behind this?

cheers :thumbs:

• Like 2

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thats exactly right without those certs I loose my job and probably to a lad just out of sparshalt with a pile of certificates and doesn't know a pheasants head from its arse

I've watched this section for years now and i have noticed a bit of a pattern.   During Buck season, thus section is bursting at the seams.lads shooting bucks left right and center. Yey come doe se

Shot plenty deer in scotland don't have dsc1 don't plan on getting it , just another scam and way to get money

he

During Buck season, thus section is bursting at the seams.lads shooting :cry: bucks left right and center. Yey come doe season theres not as much activity.

LOL. unfortunately it seems to be a general trait, called bone collecting, and has nothing whatsoever to do with deer management unless if carried out in a correct manner .Decent bucks are being removed from the areas and in some cases leaving either yearling bucks or older animals that have gone or going back, left to service the grossly abundance of does that have been untouched or little controlled in the cull program through lack of interest .

Its common knowledge by those involved in deer management that numbers and control of deer population can only be achieved in a balanced way by keeping a balance of the sexes, due to the lack of involvement /interest in recreational stalkers in non participation in the doe cull, this can create an adverse imbalance and until attitudes change by these bone collectors, we will continue to see exactly to what you have observed in respect to this post.

Maybe someone should inform them you cant eat bone either and theres nothing more tasty on the plate as a young female deer, ( normally with exceptions they dont have bone :yes::yes:

JMHO

Regards

Stuart.

Edited by Caprelous

he

LOL. unfortunately it seems to be a general trait, called bone collecting, and has nothing whatsoever to do with deer management unless if carried out in a correct manner .Decent bucks are being removed from the areas and in some cases leaving either yearling bucks or older animals that have gone or going back, left to service the grossly abundance of does that have been untouched or little controlled in the cull program through lack of interest .

Its common knowledge by those involved in deer management that numbers and control of deer population can only be achieved in a balanced way by keeping a balance of the sexes, due to the lack of involvement /interest in recreational stalkers in non participation in the doe cull, this can create an adverse imbalance and until attitudes change by these bone collectors, we will continue to see exactly to what you have observed in respect to this post.

Maybe someone should inform them you cant eat bone either and theres nothing more tasty on the plate as a young female deer, ( normally with exceptions they dont have bone :yes::yes:

JMHO

Regards

Stuart

Exactly the type of post id expect from a selfrightious level 2 snob .Dont see any posts from you regarding either sex but all of a sudden we are all doing it wrong because we choose to post about antlers and not does.Keep your lectures for your disciples and let those actually doing it get on with it .DSC means f**k all ,never has ,never will.

• Like 1

Dont get me wrong chaps i love a good set of headgear... Doe's hold no value to me except a lump of meat....

BUT i will be honest and admit it.

Was just curious as to weather there was a reason behind anybody else's buck fever?

Foxdroper, is it safe to assume that yourself and Caprelous do not see eye to eye :laugh:

• Like 1

he

JMHO

Regards

Stuart

Exactly the type of post id expect from a selfrightious level 2 snob .Dont see any posts from you regarding either sex but all of a sudden we are all doing it wrong because we choose to post about antlers and not does.Keep your lectures for your disciples and let those actually doing it get on with it .DSC means f**k all ,never has ,never will

Oh Dear

Foxdropper you seem to be intoxicated in your own exuberance and wallow in your own tenacity what a sanctimonious gentleman you appear to be. LOL

Regards

Stuart

Re read your post and decide for yourself whos sanctimonious.That bit of paper dosnt make you any better than any of us but its clear you think you are . Snobbery through and through but you know that too.As long as people can buy their way into stalking im afraid we will always be at loggerheads .

• Like 1

Re read your post and decide for yourself whos sanctimonious.That bit of paper dosnt make you any better than any of us but its clear you think you are . Snobbery through and through but you know that too.As long as people can buy their way into stalking im afraid we will always be at loggerheads .

You will have to get over your phobias of pieces of paper and snobs . :yahoo::feck:

Cheers

Stu

I'm fairly new to stalking to be honest, I seldom stalk in the Winter as I am out with the dogs, ferreting, shooting etc. To me Summer is for Roe bucks and occasional fly fishing, the things I don't do in the Winter time. Whether this is bad management or not I don't know but I only shoot for my own freezer and prefer prickets over mature bucks when possible. I am certainly not interested in Antlers.

You will have to get over your phobias of pieces of paper and snobs . :yahoo::feck:

Cheers

Stu

You obviously have a passion for the game as do i .Does it not sit well with you that folk can get into stalking within a year .Be free to carry a rifle and make decisions all based on a few hours spent in the field .Phobias are for weirdos ,not level headed folk like me but passion is another thing altogether.

• Like 2

Cheers

Stu

You obviously have a passion for the game as do i .Does it not sit well with you that folk can get into stalking within a year .Be free to carry a rifle and make decisions all based on a few hours spent in the field .Phobias are for weirdos ,not level headed folk like me but passion is another thing altogether.

Fd just to play devils advocate but the bit in red is just about as condescending as what caprelous wrote, I am sure you have witnessed as have I very poor management practices,poor shot placement,poor larder practice all from people with years of apparent experience.

1 question do you really think it wrong then that a new fac holder is free to carry a rifle alone and decide what he or she should or can shoot irrespective of the species they hunt or is your snobbery confined to deer?

• Like 2

FD

Just for the record I am far from a snob but obvious you are wound up about the paper qual thing ,

Also for the record I along with my partner who is a regional assessor for DMQ try to assist those who want to get into stalking and are struggling through whatever reason and we devote our time completely voluntary and also take them out on our leases with the forest owners consent as he is aware of what we are trying to achieve.

Further details of this scheme can be found on my website and forum.

I apologise if my post offended anyone and as DANW says it was condescending but it achieved its aim and hopefully as made a few think in slotting good beasts and this seasons bloodlines leaving the old going back animals to service the does. Its very early in the season and we are far from the rut, Shooting good bloodlines dosent do a wildlife manager any favours, My mentor once said you can only slot the good ones once, and how right he was.

The original poster passed comment in respect to a observation that he noticed more activity during the Buck season and asked why.

I have been in deer management for over 30 years and this scenario is rife within the deerstalking fraternity.

I can understand why but it dosent make it right. If more deer managers spent as much time in making a balanced cull then a healthy balance and forest would exist along with habitat management. Stalkers complain or make the excuse that leases they are involved with are unstalkable we are running a scheme where we show up and coming stalkers how they can help to amend this .

The piece of paper you talk about DSC1 will be come mandatory in coming months in Scotland . All unaccompanied deer managers will require to be in possession of at least DSC1 these regulations have come about under the WAYNE act.

Even if you own the land unless you have the certificate you cant legally shoot deer.

I should add in my view England will follow suit shortly after. As most of you are aware the Police are already geared up for this requirement as they are making it a requirement by the Chief Officer conditions that you have to be mentored and also be working to or have your DSC1 prior to grant.

Obviously it goes without saying if England follow suit if you cant show these qualifications you dont legally have acceptable use and those with a F.C now who currently enjoy stalking are likely to have their F.C withdrawn.

I like many of you rebelled against the qualifications but qualifications are here to stay, Its nothing to do with being a snob its all to do with carrying on stalking .

Hope this advice is taken with the spirit I have given it in a helpful manner not to cause any form of snobbery as previously been said.

Anyone needing advice or help feel free to P.M me and If I can advise or help I will.

Cheers

Stu

• Like 1