Pigeon Shooting With Air Rifles

You can shoot a shotgun as long as you have got your back to the road and are 60 yards away

Hope this helps. And good luck for tomorrow

its 50 feet from the center of the road.bud
100ft with a large hedge next to a quiet road and I might consider shooting, but 50 ft from the centre of the road is a bit close in my opinion.

Decoying to an air rifle can work but never safe festively as with a shottie. What can work really well with and air rifle is a couple or three lifters in a tree that they flight into regularly. Bit more of a pain to set up than normal decoding but much more effective with an air rifle

How do you get the decoys to stay in the tree? :) good idea

Keith

You could get them if they are within 40 yards and they're stationary, but with pigeons that's very rarely the case. They can't sit still, so your best bet is to get a section 2 and get yourself a shogun. You'll be taking them down mid-flight with no problem. I got my section 2 in about 2 weeks. However, that's probably because my dad has a section 1 and 2, so the process was a lot quicker. It can take up to 6 weeks. It's well worth it though mate, and you can get into clays as well if you were inclined. The 14 acre land I shoot on has dog walkers going past it all the time, and it's by the M25, but if the land owner let's you shoot on it, then there's no laws being broken and you're WELL within your rights. If the dog walkers don't like it, they can go to a public park ;)

You could get them if they are within 40 yards and they're stationary, but with pigeons that's very rarely the case. They can't sit still, so your best bet is to get a section 2 and get yourself a shogun. You'll be taking them down mid-flight with no problem. I got my section 2 in about 2 weeks. However, that's probably because my dad has a section 1 and 2, so the process was a lot quicker. It can take up to 6 weeks. It's well worth it though mate, and you can get into clays as well if you were inclined. The 14 acre land I shoot on has dog walkers going past it all the time, and it's by the M25, but if the land owner let's you shoot on it, then there's no laws being broken and you're WELL within your rights. If the dog walkers don't like it, they can go to a public park ;)

Also, some of the fields are right next to a very busy major road, I wouldn't want to be responsible for an accident happening because car drivers are watching me and not at the road, I think the police would also have something say about it too.

Decoying to an air rifle can work but never safe festively as with a shottie. What can work really well with and air rifle is a couple or three lifters in a tree that they flight into regularly. Bit more of a pain to set up than normal decoding but much more effective with an air rifle

How do you get the decoys to stay in the tree? :) good idea

Keith

You can buy special hooks to hang them from but I just bodged it out of a strand from some barbed wire.

Also can I just clear up on the law regarding highways.the law says that It is an offence to cause death disturbance or injury while shooting within 50 feet of the centre of a public highway.

Basically it's perfectly legal to shoot right next to a road but just be aware and use a bit of common sense.

Hi Keith,

These are the ones I use:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jack-Pyke-Decoy-Lofting-Hook-Pigeon-Crow-/291110476684?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item43c7895b8c

But as said by others you can easily make your own, however, these ones do sway nicely and make the decoy look natural, a long thickish garden cane is generally enough to get them up to be seen, or have fun and climb the trees.

Chris