Also managed to reduce my pig feed costs . . . . buying in bulk from a local mill :thumbs:

On the gayest trailer I could find :laugh:

IMG_1410_zpse8dfe9f5.jpg

But it's not all work

IMG_1411_zps872d9396.jpg

The big macho bag of Pig feed cancels out any homosexual under tones given of by the trailer mate :thumbs::D .

I forgot to ask the other day will you mash (soak) the feed over night ?

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I've mentioned before, I've been keeping pigs on a bit of land near me for a couple of years, it's about three acres or so in size, and for the most part is a jungle of bramble, with a few trees an

The first occupants . . .        

Aye, the good news is that after a bit of a paddy, I've sat myself down and i'm pretty sure I can think my way around it.   We're building a barn after all . . . .   I'll stop being a fanny now

Posted Images

Yer getting that big match bag of pig food off that wee gay trailer was a mission and a half! At the moment I'm feeding it dry and they love it, but been offered lots of free milk so might wet it with that.

Mel - No mate, its just enjoying a scratch from the missus in the sun.

• Like 1

best thing for cuts on your hands made by teeth,,,,is 98% alcohol,,,,pull the cuts open and squirt it in,,,,oh yes it fecking hurts,,, but honestly it cleans out the bacteria,,,i know this from alot of experiance of the same injurys,,,,but coursed by human teeth on my knuckles,,, :angel: ..

great thread by the way,,,,yeh deffo get fruit trees in,,,puddings,,,cakes,,alcohol,,,,, :laugh:

• Like 3

Yer getting that big match bag of pig food off that wee gay trailer was a mission and a half! At the moment I'm feeding it dry and they love it, but been offered lots of free milk so might wet it with that.

Mel - No mate, its just enjoying a scratch from the missus in the sun.

i have got you some meds any way see you when we come over

• Like 1

Just an observation mate and not a critism.Youve been lucky so far in that those pigs havnt pushed out under but the day will come .You need some electric fence near the bottem and more space for them mate.You are very lucky though and i wish you well.

• Like 1

In my (limited experience) electric fencing has it's own issues. . . . i've managed to contain a few lots of pigs now with post and wire, with two strands of barb at the bottom, one pretty much buried. They do root out the bottom, and do sometimes try to push over, but for the most part they don't and I can usually block off any trouble spots with tin sheeting or wooden baton. But you are right eventually the day will come I have a break out. . . .

Also, I totally agree with regard to space, what you can't see in these photos is the other paddocks being built. . . . Eventually they will have much more space, but the field itself isn't fenced and borders a road.

Been quite a lot going on there over last couple of days, i'll stick some photos up later :thumbs:

• Like 3

Been doing a bit more work the last couple of days. Did some more fencing yesterday, and let the growers onto some new ground, as their patch was pretty bare (they are separated from the rest), they were happy as larry, and it should do them until they go off at the start of June.

IMG_1430_zps36899fa5.jpg

IMG_1487_zpsafc9375f.jpg

Also sold two weaners yesterday, so that was a good feeling, and a bit of fun loading and delivering two pigs.

Then today, a friend came to play with his toys, and a lot happened really quick.

IMG_1459_zpsbb702bd3.jpg

IMG_1456_zps587a1ad5.jpg

He pulled apart the huge rubbish pile, and we separated the stuff to burn and the scrap and then pushed the rest down a banking and crushed it into a track, then scraped out a wider access track from the road and used the soil as in fill.

IMG_1452_zps52be4f2d.jpg

IMG_1455_zps62acf786.jpg

IMG_1469_zpsa8968456.jpg

IMG_1467_zps96af5590.jpg

IMG_1466_zps5e0145a1.jpg

Tidied up and scraped off the yard area.

IMG_1465_zps84200908.jpg

Then scraped off a banking where the fruit trees will go, ripping out a load of bramble and scrubby bushes.

IMG_1457_zps293dbf97.jpg

IMG_1495_zps2f2edefe.jpg

Then we made an access road into where the barn will go. Levelled out the ground and chamfered the bank.

IMG_1490_zps18ac7f17.jpg

IMG_1489_zps11894234.jpg

And did a bit more fencing a long the way.

IMG_1464_zps0d40e16c.jpg

Lots of help from Johnnyboy and the mrs, legends as always!

Next step is the barn!

:victory:

Oh and this photo gives you a better idea where the saddle backs are fenced in, and how much ground they have, i'm stood one end (where their ark is) which is where they hang out a lot, and hence it looks so rough, and if you look, you can see the area round the trees is fenced in and off into the distance. :thumbs:

IMG_1486_zps15d80581.jpg

Edited to add - if you look close in the first photo you can see a wee rabbit admiring my fence.

Edited by Ideation
  • Like 6

Fair play your kicking on with it ( and johnny).................... I won't recognize the place before long.

There's some rubbish to get rid of............... it was surprising what was lurking in those brambles

• Like 1

Didn't know if you were getting any chickens or not but those plastic cans would be handy for nest boxes once washed out just an idea by the way what you have there and what you have done is cracking mate its a dream I have always had to own my own bit of land but its very expensive down here looking forward to seeing it once you have finished cheers shane

Yer we're motoring a long now. . . . .

R.A.W - Some of it's rubbish, some is treasure lol.

Claude - Yes I am mate, not a bad idea :thumbs: I've just been lucky, falling on a small piece of ground no one really knew was there, for a real good price. :thumbs:

• Like 2