My White Legged English Cock

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is my white legged cock he was gifted to me by a friend a week or so ago.i am not to sure of his entire breeding, it have my suspicions lol.

this is a stag from last year.

Posted Images

Basil ! Out of intrest what makes you suspicious of his breeding ? If i may ask

You may well ask c,m . When I was given this bird I was told he was o.e.g with white legs but when he was delivered it was obvious that there was a definable presence of American blood which I thought was butcher due to the shape of his body and the roundness of his tail, I have kept and crossed butchers in the past and the looked very similar in their station as the bird in the picture.i believe that my friend experimented with a butcher x his o e g black red with dark legs to see the out come for his self , I don't dislike this bird by any means but he is not for my breeding pens due to the lack of true knowledge of his breeding. I will try and put up a picture of my o,e,g black reds so u can see that they in my opinion have no influx of American blood . Atb basil

Basil I don't have much experience with english birds.... But I do now the old english lord Darby reds where sent to America and became the whitehackles and the whitehackle made the butchers..... So I sopose whitehackles and butchers are english fowl just maintain in America

Basil I don't have much experience with english birds.... But I do now the old english lord Darby reds where sent to America and became the whitehackles and the whitehackle made the butchers..... So I sopose whitehackles and butchers are english fowl just maintain in America

Basil and UK, Derbys English influence in America, would that account for the white in the tails of Whitehackle. Derbys birds often had white in the tail, making them quite distinguishable from other birds. And I believe he favoured the white leg ?

Thanks for the comments c.m.i have heard that as well uk and I would like to think that the well maintained pure breeds of today still hold the same traights as their forefathers , but I believe that as in all sports and breeding things progress and things improve and over the years the original lines are but a memory of their former self. But that is just my opinion atb basil.

Basil and UK, Derbys English influence in America, would that account for the white in the tails of Whitehackle. Derbys birds often had white in the tail, making them quite distinguishable from other birds. And I believe he favoured the white leg ?

You have some fine birds :-)

The Lord Darby reds where crossed with with north britton blood and ply blood that's where white feathering comes from..... This cross was practly unbeatable.... When lord Darby died he's fowl was sent to America and when they clipped the cocks hackle feathers they was Snow White under feathers...... That's how they got the name whitehackles....