Best Zero Range For Both .177 And .22

Its a great topic, but I find that practice, practice and more practice are important. You need to reactively shoot. Its great to shoot pellet on pellet at targets at known ranges. Great for target shooters but in the field, especially in woodland where its more difficult to judge distance , the whole thing becomes so much more complicated. You have to make adjustments for the elements, elevation, and other factors.

• Like 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For me. Shooting with a sub-12 ft/lb spring rifle. Scope on 6-8 magnification and parallax correctly set for zero range distance:   .177 40 metres for .177 is the optimum = Enables some serious lon

I use chairgun myself There are a lot of factors to account for your optimum zero Scope hight for example and sightbase That is centre of scope to Muzzle However sightbase doesn't seem to have too

As i hide shoot a lot i find a range finder a very useful tool.I range the sitty tree once only and i know exactly my distance. Many a time when walking my GSP gun dog i take my range fin

Posted Images

Its a great topic, but I find that practice, practice and more practice are important. You need to reactively shoot. Its great to shoot pellet on pellet at targets at known ranges. Great for target shooters but in the field, especially in woodland where its more difficult to judge distance , the whole thing becomes so much more complicated. You have to make adjustments for the elements, elevation, and other factors.

A range finder is a great help Kenyon imo

atb

For me. Shooting with a sub-12 ft/lb spring rifle. Scope on 6-8 magnification and parallax correctly set for zero range distance:

40 metres for .177 is the optimum = Enables some serious long range shots and require a little hold under for closer ranges and holdover for very close range targets.

25 to 30 metres optimum for .22. = Takes good account of looped trajectory and makes most long range shots a matter of holdover.

.22 FAC HW80.

30 metres optimum. The trajectory is very flat due to very high velocity of the pellet, so only a little holdover is needed for targets at greater distances and pretty well dead-on at closer ranges.

Just my methods of zero by calibre and power output. But it's what I understand from my rifles trajectory maps.

25 metres is good for woodland shooting and means you aim pretty much dead on for squirrels and pigeons in trees as well as on the ground.

Good fieldcraft and an ability to accurately estimate range distance and where your shot is going to rise and fall over that distance, is an essential skill to advantage all preferred zeroing ranges.

I never use a rangefinder or lazers and never have. Learn to estimate distances through your reticle and you won't have to faff about carrying kit and making extra movements that give you away.

Besides, rabbits are bloody inconsiderate little sods that seldom pop up at just the range you want them to!

• Like 3

I use chairgun myself

There are a lot of factors to account for your optimum zero

Scope hight for example and sightbase

That is centre of scope to Muzzle

However sightbase doesn't seem to have too much of an impact

My Bobcat has the scope 2.63 inches above breech centre and 17 inches from the muzzle

I have selected a 0.5 inch killzone as I feel the size of our target, ie the brain of a creature classed as pest, is not well represented with a 1 inch zone

That would be one big pigeon, rat or rabbit :laugh:

With this setup I'm in the kill zone from 20 to 37 yards which lends itself nicely to dispatching that critter without too much holdover

The further your target just aim a slight titch higher

post-76949-0-66947900-1423906871_thumb.png

Edited by Big Uli
  • Like 2

As i hide shoot a lot i find a range finder a very useful tool.I range the sitty tree once only and i know exactly my distance.

Many a time when walking my GSP gun dog i take my range finder only and guess an objects distance then laze it. This practice has made me very good at predicting ranges, when walking with my rifle only.

As Kenyon says,- a few test shots before settling down to wait, ensures your zero is correct and i must agree with Simon that you are losing your shot time and making movements with a rangefinder, ranging first before taking the shot.

atb

Edited by mark williams
  • Like 2

For me. Shooting with a sub-12 ft/lb spring rifle. Scope on 6-8 magnification and parallax correctly set for zero range distance:

40 metres for .177 is the optimum = Enables some serious long range shots and require a little hold under for closer ranges and holdover for very close range targets.

25 to 30 metres optimum for .22. = Takes good account of looped trajectory and makes most long range shots a matter of holdover.

.22 FAC HW80.

30 metres optimum. The trajectory is very flat due to very high velocity of the pellet, so only a little holdover is needed for targets at greater distances and pretty well dead-on at closer ranges.

Just my methods of zero by calibre and power output. But it's what I understand from my rifles trajectory maps.

25 metres is good for woodland shooting and means you aim pretty much dead on for squirrels and pigeons in trees as well as on the ground.

Good fieldcraft and an ability to accurately estimate range distance and where your shot is going to rise and fall over that distance, is an essential skill to advantage all preferred zeroing ranges.

I never use a rangefinder or lazers and never have. Learn to estimate distances through your reticle and you won't have to faff about carrying kit and making extra movements that give you away.

Besides, rabbits are bloody inconsiderate little sods that seldom pop up at just the range you want them to!

very well said :thumbs:

• 3 years later...
On 01/04/2014 at 11:59, mark williams said:

Found a very informative topic about the best zero ranges PBR of .177 = 8.8 to 35 meters (9.7 to 38.3 yards) - PBR = point blank range.

.22 cal PBR = 6.3 to 28.5 meters (6.9 to 31.1 yards).

Basics are that if you were to zero to say 30 meters in .22 with a sub 12 ft/lb "ish" rifle you would run the risk of being out of your kill zone from 11.5 meters to 25.5 meters due to the pellets parabolic trajectory leaving the 2.5 cm ( 1 inch) kill zone.

So does this mean if you zero pellet on pellet to 31 yards in .22, your rifle will also be pellet on pellet at 6.9 yards ? Also does the information say that the pellets flight path will stay within a 1 inch flight path to these distances.(kill zone)

If you go to the hunting life search engine and type in best zero range you can read it for yourselves.( airgun discussion thread)

A big thank you for this information to Si Pitterway.

Are any lads shooting to this rule please and any info back.

I am shooting with the HW 100 KT .177 and the HW 100 ks .22 so will be interesting.

atb.

Found it at last, haha

8 minutes ago, mark williams said:

You have to Google everything Phil.

Not sure about other members but the search engine on here used to be excellent but nowadays it`s awful (for me). :icon_redface:

Hope it helps.

Yeah, I tried the search engine on here first, it came up nothing found, so I started going through all the threads and thought stuff that haha, and took the easy root.