Longnet Help

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stop Your 30ft ,, You will end up with a parcel of shite !! ,, Trust me .. There's an old saying " the finer the mesh , the better killing net"   Regards ..

I ain't sharing drops with nobody lol not even my lamping or ferreting partners lol. Fook even the kids will have some job finding them when old enough lol     Practice,practice and then practice s

I am constantly looking for new drops when the wife is driving I am like a bloody owl in the passenger seat head spinning around looking over hedges, Trying to first find rabbits then suss the terrain

Have you got a net mate? What you want to learn, traditional net or quickest? A few weeks ago I'd a took you ferreting and shown you that way, but our season has stopped now. I'm about an hour away but that's some drive to set a net in a field a few times, however if nobody closer offers I'll show you how to drop and lift a traditional net

an hours drive is no drive at all to learn to net. without you showing him it will cost him a lot more than the hour to sort his nets out when it all goes wrong..

well worth the drive imo and a nice offer on your part..

Tiercel can I ask what's best twine to knot? As in easiest, I keep saying it but I'm gonna try a purse net at least this summer

I would say spun polyester is about the easiest to knot, as long as you form the knot correctly it will not slip. Most spun materials knot well as the spinning of the material leaves fibres protruding out of the core of the yarn, it is those fibres that intertwine with each other that helps to keep the knot from slipping.

TC

• Like 1

I would suggest looking at a few of them, take parts that you like from some and disregard others. I have seen some on there that bare no resemblance at all to knitting a net effectively. I have my own way of knitting that suits me, a few others have found it useful too, but some just cannot get to grips with it as it changes everything they were taught, and they have developed a style that suits them.

The principles of knitting a net are the same, it does not matter if you are making a trawl or a rat net, you work in rows. Each row is half a mesh, once you have completed two rows you have your first row of full meshes.

I do not like the Carrick bend knot as it puts a twist into the twine and for that reason I will not use it if possible. If I have to double knot with a twine I use a sheet bend with a half hitch on top of the sheet bend. It stops the knot from slipping and does not put a twist in the line.

This is my style of knitting where the loop is formed on the V above then pulled home once the bight has been made.

And here it is in slow motion here you can see that the bight is made before it is pulled home.

http://www.youtubeslow.com/watch?v=ensL0Mwboew

TC

• Like 1

hi tc iam tying on with a fishermanknot a blood knot I think then iam using the same knot as the one in the video you put up and I am using hemp and I got some spun poly from agouti the fishermans knot seem to work well enough when iam making purse nets because it all stays on the ring but when I take it of the split ring the fishermans knot jst unravels on me cheers sj

I ain't sharing drops with nobody lol not even my lamping or ferreting partners lol. Fook even the kids will have some job finding them when old enough lol

Practice,practice and then practice some more lol

I am constantly looking for new drops when the wife is driving I am like a bloody owl in the passenger seat head spinning around looking over hedges, Trying to first find rabbits then suss the terrain and entry points oh and of course sort permission :)

• Like 3

hi tc iam tying on with a fishermanknot a blood knot I think then iam using the same knot as the one in the video you put up and I am using hemp and I got some spun poly from agouti the fishermans knot seem to work well enough when iam making purse nets because it all stays on the ring but when I take it of the split ring the fishermans knot jst unravels on me cheers sj

When you start on the split ring use a clove hitch for the first row start it exactly the same as a purse net, use a 4 1/4" mesh that is a 2 1/8th" mesh board and put 13 or 14 meshes on the ring. When you come to pull the ring off all you will have is a larger first mesh. Make sure you do 20 plus rows before you pull the end meshes off the split ring. Better still make yourself a triangle out of fence wire or an old wire coat hanger for long nets it works better.

triangle002_zpse48d7dbe.jpg

TC

• Like 1

I am constantly looking for new drops when the wife is driving I am like a bloody owl in the passenger seat head spinning around looking over hedges, Trying to first find rabbits then suss the terrain and entry points oh and of course sort permission :)

i have just got 2 new permisions this week and mr wilks got us some

thanks for your help tc iam going to make one of those triangle things an persiver just out of curiosity how much would you charge for a 100 yard net and I hope you don't mind me poping back up with more questions at a later date cheers once again

yis sj

thanks for your help tc iam going to make one of those triangle things an persiver just out of curiosity how much would you charge for a 100 yard net and I hope you don't mind me poping back up with more questions at a later date cheers once again

yis sj

It's totally your choice mate but instead of a 100ydr net it be easier to start with summat smaller like a 25yd, can always buy 2 25yds and a 50yds, that way you will still have 100yds of net if needed but smaller nets in case you don't need it all, hope that makes sense lol

• Like 3

thanks for that tip hot meat and smithie dident think of that one good advice, in that case could you give me a price on a 25 yrd one please tc cheers it would be handy to practice with while iam knitting mine cheers for all your help everyone

yis sj