What Dogs Are You Using?

I have a German Shorthaired Pointer, I mainly shoot walked up quail and the odd duck in season, the rest of year she flushes rabbits and occasionally points hares. We don't have any really thick cover, but she works plantations well.

I found the breeder on the internet whilst serving in Afghanistan knowing nothing about pointers and have loved every minute of shooting with her.

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 weeks later...

Not unusual but she is amazing!

Black lab, 15 months, almost fully trained ready for her first shoot in September.

Training was done by my partner (she doesn't shoot often, but likes picking up) under instruction of a pro (5 lessons), she has never trained a dog before, but i have seen fully trained dogs that are far worse! I would say that though because i am biased!

Great on pigeon and rabbit, little bit hard mouthed when excited, but soon calms down (still a puppy after all) looking forward to the first pheasant. Not bothered by guns at all, will flush and retrieve very well, having a few problems with direction of the flush sometimes, but again i dont doubt it will come with time, practice and experience!

Would like to get a springer to go with her, but not yet, don't need anything else getting her over excited!!

all my rough shooting , ferretting, and rimmie/rabbit shooting is with your everyday shooting dog a rescue ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, staffie x dalmation , yes you read it right and he's great , if your dog works for you love them and the and your trip out. :thumbs:

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I use a spaniel lab crossand a gwp lab cross great dogs spaniel cross hunts hard marks well and retrieves good pointer lab a different story very strong dog which is handy if we are in a bit where not shot much will hunt everything and will point 9 times out of ten unless it's a fox she goes straight in seen some guns get a fright when she brings old Charlie back

• Like 1

I forgot I posted this, some good examples. It is amazing what people end up with. I wonder how many odd dogs were bought before the gun and game into service after?

I have often wondered about using collies etc. When I was a young teenager I had an Alsatian that was an obsessive retriever and was the most trainable dog I have ever owned. I was going to try him, but unfortunately he was run over at about 18 months old. Swam really well, would even fetch things from upto 3ft underwater!

I have had 2 spaniel/cross collies and I thought they would be ace, but they just proved to be the worst of both instead of the best, maybe others might not be? Hyper/wappy their siblings were the same right up to the age of 16 never really calming down.

Then my dad has got a 1/4 spaniel 3/4 collie at the minute, and she flushes, rats and marks, but her flushing is almost like she is going through the motions, genuinely excited when there is something obviously there, but has been proved to have missed a lot.

My aunty took one of the siblings from the same liter, we ended up taking it during the day because it barked endlessly when she went to work.

I was up in Cumbria fishing during the summer, I saw a collie/spaniel there that looked a good type. Like a solid bulky spaniel as opposed to a lobg eared collie.

Does anyone want to put up some pictures of some of these dogs? Just because I like to see them.

This is my current project:20140706_220726_zpscz0saixb.jpg