Whats Everyone Breeding????

Cheers mate, I've got the sister of the hen on 5 eggs to the same cock and he's back in with the first now for when she rebuilds, hopefully I get a few more the same colour. I'm planning on going down the colour canary road next year as it's less messing than muling etc.

• Like 2

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First canary chicks of the year hatched today.

2 pairs of Bullies Another trio of greenies,normal cock split for lutino,cinny hen,silver hen and there is a spare cinny redpoll hen in with them so who knows with that one.

I've got some rollers and a few pouters to keep me out of mischief for the summer and bringing my pup on too so I'm probably best off without little birds too this season.

I'm planning on going down the colour canary road next year as it's less messing than muling etc.

What 'colours' have ye fancy? I'm no good at all these strange terms yet. So, if we just say; ('Basically') Yellow. Red. Dark or Whiter sorts of Birds?

Like, I'm personally a bugger for the dark side. Agate's and Cobalt's catch my eye. I like white based birds with the more grey / black the merrier worked in there too.

Red and white ones are pretty as f**k. I think I'm just trying to avoid snagging peoples consciousness on the 'Canaries Are Yellow' thing.

That's as far as I get though. Start talking about Opal. Satinette. Phaeo? I shut down! :blink: Keep it basic and I'm happy.

What 'colours' have ye fancy? Start talking about Opal. Satinette. Phaeo? I shut down! :blink: Keep it basic and I'm happy.

I'd be more inclined to go with satinettes, gold dimorphic maybe just not stuff that needs colour feeding.

:rolleyes: Why, oh why do I keep bothering?

What ever. Yeppers. Not needing to colour feed shit makes perfect sense to me.

Like blondes? Marry a blonde. What point in grabbing a brunette and handing her a bottle of peroxide?

I was well into these Clear Mosaic's (Is it?) Red birds with white primaries. Till I twigged that they had to be fed colour feed, from one point to another. Then, they moulted and the primaries grew back yellow?!

More than delighted to be corrected on that ~ like I say; I know f**k all. I need it kept dead basic.

But, yeah; Evolve and reproduce a Fixed feather colour? Cool!

Dye a bird, from the inside out? Nah. Just doesn't do it for me either.

just plain old yellows for me pete.got 9 young to go in small outdoor flight ,just got that project finished,going to keep m in there all year round see how they winter in it ,sort of test it ,in the cages I have 3 more nests ,2 with chicks 1 with 6 eggs,so all going ok at the mo, atb.

• Like 1

Franc; I see " Roller " is your sig. Your birds Rollers? I was listening to some of them singing the other day, on You Tube. That's a sound I could live with :yes:

I was trying to, broadly, explain how I see canaries, only today. Strikes me there's the three sorts.

Singers: F**k the colour. Just Listen to it!

Types: Just Look how deformed This f**ker is! Ye'd never see That in nature! ( :bad:)

Colours: Nothing much to say for themselves. Just natural, perky little birds whose 'natural' feather pigmentation makes them stunning to look at.

Personally? I'd like to keep Colours, to gaze upon. Then have the odd cock singer about the place. Just to fill the air with that song :yes:

I doubt I'll live long enough to learn a great deal more now. But, I have a hunch people use certain sorts of birds as sort of 'cheep labour' to rear more valued birds stuff?

All fascinating stuff, mate! I try to stuff more bits and pieces into my head with every passing day.

• Like 1

No idea Gnipper but it's a pretty little thing what ever it is and yes pete a lot of big studs will use "lesser" types as rearers or foster parents and will bin the eggs those bird produce themselves.A good foster mum is worth her weight in gold as millet is finding out with a "worthless" goldie mule hen :laugh::laugh: .

• Like 1

pete I did keep roller canarys at one point,my birds were from a man who judged them in the singing contests so were half decent singers,but the contest rollers are put on earth to do a mans head in ,its quiet complex ,for my brain at least ,I keep only irish fancys which I suspect are bred down from roller type,but I am no expert,some of the irish lads might no more about the breeding atb.

Do Irish Fancy give a bit of song then? Only, I like to hear some bird noise. Colours are an angels kiss to the eye. But, I don't believe they actually say a lot?

I'd like colours, to look at and breed more of, to hand out into the local community. But, I like ~ and I'm sure many people around me would appreciate ~ a good shouter.

Irish Fancy have always struck me as a less misshapen or otherwise exaggerated little bird. If they have lungs too ....?

they can sing well enough pete, the competition rollers are judged on there song but some of there notes ,toures,are quiet so much so that they are hard to hear singing from say outside a shed,but there range of notes is incredible,not like the loud harsher song of say a border canary,hope that makes sence,I aint the best on comp,short answer irish have a nice song and breed freely atb

• Like 2

You won't go far wrong with Irish pete,a lovely shaped bird and my favourite of the canaries and like Francolin says they sing well enough and it was a irish cock who "ruined" :whistling: a few mules i had and put canary into their song,not a over loud singer but loud enough. :victory:

Edited by fireman
  • Like 1