Help For Pine Marten Survey!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The uk has lost 3 types of lemming and at least 2 types of vole why not spend some time trying to reintroduce a prey animal to the environment which would benefit the predators we have rather than spe

The only problem you have got is there's not enough stable food sources,the rabbit population is up and down like a brides nighty,otters populations are snow balling, mink every where, badgers are rob

It's a no from me.   Red Squirrels are finding it harder and harder to survive between squirrel pox from the already introduced grey squirrel and the ever increasing numbers of goshawks, etc. The la

it says they will help red squirrels by eating greys instead,i would like to see a predator running past a red squirrel to get to a grey squirrel,wf

There saying what they think will had weight to there reasoning to release ,hoping some one will give them some extra funding,they have no idea of the killing ability of them,

In the last 10 or 12 years here in Ireland the Pine Martin has spread to every county and is now being seen in towns. There have been road kills in many large towns.

The spread of forestry has probably been the biggest factor but there have been rumours of introductions.

If a survey was done now in Eire IMO it would tell (not that the Wildlife Service would listen) that the Pine Marten is not wanted.

It has made poultry keeping and game rearing impractical in many areas and has to have a big impact of all bird life.

I know of one poultry keeper who thinking he was trapping mink around his fowl actually trapped 35 martens in a couple of years. He only learnt his mistake when he took a few out of the freezer to show someone.

No wildlife catchment area can take that sort of pressure.

Is the bustard still going?or did it fail.

The bustard reintroduction is going very well they have third generation birds nesting laying and rearing wild ... They have even started to leave Wiltshire and nest in joining counties ..........

• Like 5

why are most introduction programs predators?

Apart from the bustard (&f*****g beaver) I can't think of any non predatory species being reintroduced, it boils my piss more than most things

They’re doing water voles not far from me; not exactly re-introduction, but adding to the numbers like. That’s how it should be; fixing ecosystems from the bottom upwards.

The uk has lost 3 types of lemming and at least 2 types of vole why not spend some time trying to reintroduce a prey animal to the environment which would benefit the predators we have rather than spend more time and money chasing the infamy of reintroducing yet another apex predator all I see here is as ever yet another vanity led study.

I guess there is no kudos in reintroducing a vole?

I don’t suppose you know the names of the species of the voles and lemmings that have died out?

I’m interested in that type of thing.

why are most introduction programs predators?

Apart from the bustard (&f*****g beaver) I can't think of any non predatory species being reintroduced, it boils my piss more than most things

They’re doing water voles not far from me; not exactly re-introduction, but adding to the numbers like. That’s how it should be; fixing ecosystems from the bottom upwards.
Couldn't agree any more with your last sentence, surely it's just common sense??