Alano's Do They Still Use Them To Hunt ?

Hi everyone.

Let's see if I can help a bit.

Here in Spain, alanos and dogos are often used for boar and deer hunting mostly together with podencos, bloodhounds and crosbreeds between them, specially podencos with alanos or dogos.

From my experience with them, I must say I prefer the alanos, although I've seen very brave dogos working, but the dog owners I know tend to prefer alanos for they are more equilibrate and are less agressive with the rest of the pack dogs but still very brave with the quarry.

In villages and little towns around here is very common to have "communal" hunting dog packs and usually a couple of alanos or a mixbreed of them are always among the dogs used.

And one more thing: I've known four dogos from different bloodlines which have developed a certain deafness over the years. Might just be a coincidence, but their owners have never used them again and have changed the breed for alanos or even pit-bulls.

Oh!, one more thing: you can find much cheaper alanos if you don't care about pedigrees and only trust hunting skills. As I said, there are many owners in small villages who hunt with them and select their own "lines" the old way: good working bitches with good working dogs. Ovbiously, this is easy to say from my situation, but I just name it so you don't discourage in continue searching!

Hope this info helped.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Them dogos on the video that was posted up here not so long back didn't do very well on that boar in a pen lol .........

There's a decent vid of a load of boar dogs with a massive boar in a river, all barking and holding it against the bank, this goes on for about fifteen mins, with none of the dogs being game enough to

As above, I know they used them to work on cattle+bulls, from what I read , but some were used for wild boar as well. Just wonder if the used today for any kind of work at all, or are they just pets+g

Im a bit late in joining the conversation...

The Spanish mastiffs were used as guard dogs to protect sheep from wolfs.

Dogos are banned in the UK and were never used ad fighting dogs as they were specifically bred to be a big game hunter, they descend from the fighting dog of cordoba which was a notorious fighting dog in South America.

The Alano of today is not the same Alano from the old days, there was new blood added during the recovery project in 70's. Todays there is 3 types of Alano, the Villano, the Alano and the Perro de Toro, a slight variation of the same dog bred in different parts of Spain.

When it comes to which breed is better the dogo, the alano or the american bulldog is really depends on what you prefer and what stock you buy your dogs from.

Its also worth saying that the current dangerous dogs law also cover type so any dog coming in that is not 1 of the banned breeds but is of the pit bull type could be ceased as my mate recently found out whilst importing two White English Bulldogs from America. Fortunately for him he was able to get them back after only a few days however they will be doing regular checks on them to make sure that they are dogos.

Great info!

Just one aclaration to expand it: yes, the alanos (villanos and toro dogs) differ a bit from the old type, but mostly are the same breed, which is a very old one. There are many old paintings where you can find this type of breeds in hunting packs here in Spain.

It's just some extra stuff because as I said in the beginning the info provided by Lusitano is excellent.

I don't think you can even get hold of dogos here in the uk because there in the dangerous dog act I've seen them abroad though. Are alanos in the same category? I would love to see some in the flesh.

There's not 1 of them dogs that's on the DDA that isn't in the uk ..... When things are made prohibited they are more sort after and if someone has the money for said item then the item will be found ;)

Yeh your about right there mate about 4 year ago I got offered a doggo the man bought it as a pup and it was about a year old and he was getting worryd because people were starting to ask questions on the breeding and he wanted it gone I didn't have it had no use for it it was making a lovely dog tho

Hi everyone.

Let's see if I can help a bit.

Here in Spain, alanos and dogos are often used for boar and deer hunting mostly together with podencos, bloodhounds and crosbreeds between them, specially podencos with alanos or dogos.

From my experience with them, I must say I prefer the alanos, although I've seen very brave dogos working, but the dog owners I know tend to prefer alanos for they are more equilibrate and are less agressive with the rest of the pack dogs but still very brave with the quarry.

In villages and little towns around here is very common to have "communal" hunting dog packs and usually a couple of alanos or a mixbreed of them are always among the dogs used.

And one more thing: I've known four dogos from different bloodlines which have developed a certain deafness over the years. Might just be a coincidence, but their owners have never used them again and have changed the breed for alanos or even pit-bulls.

Oh!, one more thing: you can find much cheaper alanos if you don't care about pedigrees and only trust hunting skills. As I said, there are many owners in small villages who hunt with them and select their own "lines" the old way: good working bitches with good working dogs. Ovbiously, this is easy to say from my situation, but I just name it so you don't discourage in continue searching!

Hope this info helped.

thanks :thumbs: , I thought that the Alano was still being used in Spain as working bulldog, as that's what its referred to over there, maybe not the original lines but as close to them as possible . the one thing I did like about the breed ,is that they are healthy breed and not ruined by show stuff, as there still kept for work not what they look like . :yes: I ve had bull breeds over the years, staff,pit,bullmastiff ,and most of those breeds were getting health probs even few pits . so its nice to know there Alano not gone like some other breeds have done when some breeds get popular, and the Alano not one of them :thumbs: