Hey guys feeling pretty proud of this little project,as it's something I've never really done.

I was after a nice stick for walking the pooch,sourced some seasoned hazel of a friend some antler for the handle and hardwood for a spacer/reducer. I used linseed oil on the stick which I'm happy with.

My question is what would be best to use on the antler crown? Some sort of resin? I've seem some that have a blacked out crown polished up like glass,what is that?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Pete.

2a24396e31653f3feafbffe4077f2c3e_zps88c9

• Like 4

Thats a pretty good stick for a first attempt. You can buy resin for the cornet of the antler, most stick supplies sell it.

Went out for my saturday walk this afternoon to collect sticks and I found this beauty of a twisty Hazel. It will be ready to work around May next year.

stdavidsdayalana029_zps807aedda.jpg

stdavidsdayalana030_zps10fe8a44.jpg

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 3

The blacked out crown is often buffalo horn fitted in and polished.

There is a good tip, when fitting spacers between antler and shaft, but it looks like you may have used it. If your using threaded bar,- roughen up and damage the thread on the bit of bar thats going into the handpiece, or it could just unscrew when the araldite has set. Then glue the spacer in place, and put a washer and nut on, and screw up the nut tight and leave to set. When set remove the nut and washer. This works great also if your using a horn spacer,- warm the horn spacer first, and the nut and washer will force the horn spacer into a perfect fit, and when you remove the washer, the base will be perfectly level to "take" the end of the shank.

Remember to damage the rest of the thread when you fit the shank.

Very nice stick you made.

• Like 3

Thats a pretty good stick for a first attempt. You can buy resin for the cornet of the antler, most stick supplies sell it.

Went out for my saturday walk this afternoon to collect sticks and I found this beauty of a twisty Hazel. It will be ready to work around May next year.

stdavidsdayalana029_zps807aedda.jpg

stdavidsdayalana030_zps10fe8a44.jpg

Thanks for the info,looks slightly more work involved it that beauty.:-)

TC

The blacked out crown is often buffalo horn fitted in and polished.

There is a good tip, when fitting spacers between antler and shaft, but it looks like you may have used it. If your using threaded bar,- roughen up and damage the thread on the bit of bar thats going into the handpiece, or it could just unscrew when the araldite has set. Then glue the spacer in place, and put a washer and nut on, and screw up the nut tight and leave to set. When set remove the nut and washer. This works great also if your using a horn spacer,- warm the horn spacer first, and the nut and washer will force the horn spacer into a perfect fit, and when you remove the washer, the base will be perfectly level to "take" the end of the shank.

Remember to damage the rest of the thread when you fit the shank.

Very nice stick you made.

Thank for the advice I did glue and washer/nut trick,but never thought to mess up the threaded bar. Great tip. Live and learn hey. Gonna have to get hold of some buffalo horn me thinks. :-) Edited by Larryleftjab
  • 4 months later...

my first and only attempt lol. everyone should make themselves a stick. :D might not be world beaters but they are functional. mine is used for shooting, dog walking and as a camera rest :D i cheated and bought in the stick at a gamefair

post-2078-0-21731900-1407056532_thumb.jpg

It's something I'm going to try in the near future.......I've got sticks seasoning now, that I've cut from the garden, just need to source the other materials now.....