New Traps Officially 'Approved'

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Sadly, I don't even know what some of them look like! But here's the list: Here.

The Solway Springers are, I'd imagine, further rip offs of the Fenn Mk IV and VI style. The Kania? Maybe Chalkwarren can elucidate for us? The " Nooski " is a rather controversial little gizmo that fires am 'Elastrator' type rubber ring round the rats neck and crushes its throat ~ Again, I'm sure certainly TheBigFish and maybe Chalks can give us their first hand experience of viewing thos things in action. I, for one, won't be adopting their use, for more reasons than one :thumbdown:

But it's these Kiwi traps that have my attention. More Body Grippers? Or has someone come up with something truly interesting? :hmm: Anyone shine a little light, please?

My thanks to Louise, of Killgerm and Nigel for drawing my attention to all this ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Big Fish

Yes ditch ive seen the nooski in the flesh, didnt like it much myself, very plasticy, fecking fumble about trying to get the rubber ring to stay in place, in fact i thought it was shit :thumbdown:

The kiwi traps :laugh: well from what ive seen, look very much to be like a cross between a fenn and standard rat trap.

The good thing about these though, is that they fit in a special box, which can be designed species specific.

150set.jpg

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Ah. Excellent input already? Thanks, lads ;)

PJ; Why my no? Price. The aforementioned pissing about with quality. But most of all their manner of operation. I gather they kill by asphyxiation ~ like drowning does, only drowning an animal's illegal and disgusts every right thinking Pest Controller and Field Sportsman I've ever met. Ok, some may argue that drowning comes only after a prolonged and agonising struggle for survival. The rubber band snaps on in a split second and so gets straight down to the business of causing the lungs to implode. Charming. And, in the seconds while the lungs prime themselves to rupture, I've heard reliable accounts of 'caught' rats leaping all over the place. :no: Sorry; If my rifle, or my own level of accuracy with it, caused what ever I shot to go bouncing and flopping around the field for a bit on impact, do ye think I'd still aim it at live quarry?

TBF; Thanks for that, mate. So, it's what we (well, we with a more cosmopolitan knowledge of trap types) know as a " Bank Trap " then. That's what that particular piece of steel's known as. And yes, they do tend to be a bit tasty, in the Whack department. I've known them in many sizes, from rat to raccoon. Always intrigues me to see how someone can pick a trap that's been around for yonks and suddenly suggest 'we' might have it too. Myself, I've never really thought about traps that way. I wonder what I could come up with, if I considered all the traps of the world I know about and tried to pick one which might be acceptable? That could be amusing on a dull day.

Chalks; I completely agree that there's not much "Special" about that style of box, mate. Why Do so many people just take the piss out of the spirit of the law?! Bending a few blades of grass over a spring trap and calling it an " Artificial Tunnel ". Shit like that. Placing traps - as with that stupid box - so close to the access hole that anything with a leg is likely to reach the trap.

Personally, when tunnel trapping with spring traps, I've simply never used a tunnel less than 18" long and have always placed my traps up in the middle of that tunnel. Involves that bit more work than driving by in a Land Rover and glancing out for a tail and arse end poking out, of course. But I don't believe in doing a job I'm not willing to do right.

To echo ye own sentiments, with a slant? I think it's these piss takers who'll lose everyone else the right to set traps. Look at that 'Pest Controller' who set a Fenn atop a wall and bent some blades of grass over it. Caught a bloody Heron! Now That sort of shit is All we need. Just what the Anti's cream for; And it's 'our lot' who hand it to them, every time :(

Guest Ditch_Shitter

What it says, mate. Glis Glis, as they're otherwise known. Dear little creatures. Somewhere between a Bush Baby and a 'nice' squirrel. But ye still wouldn't want them playing havoc with ye wireing.

In some pockets of the country they've become so entrenched that they're now causing quite as much bother as any other comensal pest.

Check them out of Google. Lovely looking creatures.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:boredom: Public invite still stands, John. Rifle's still here :whistling:

Why not explain that 'remark', for all to see? Or better yet; Slide on over here and show some people what You can do with my rifle? I'd be more than happy to compare. Lot more fun, surely, than sitting there tapping out emoticons? ;)

Guest JohnGalway
:boredom: Public invite still stands, John. Rifle's still here :whistling:

Why not explain that 'remark', for all to see? Or better yet; Slide on over here and show some people what You can do with my rifle? I'd be more than happy to compare. Lot more fun, surely, than sitting there tapping out emoticons? ;)

Sure I've 40 or 50 or more shots up on another forum, no need to prove anything more :clapper::boxing:

I dunno Ditch, I do hear a lot of talk about this shooting iron of yours, sure it ain't a waffle iron?

To get back on track here a little ~

The new variation to the approval order appears to have come as a shock to most folks, myself excepted.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why DEFRA have considered new traps for approval to begin with? What is wrong with the 'old' ones? This might seem a bit like deja vu for those old enough to remember the banning of my precious gin traps back in the 1950's, but ban them they did, simply from a humanity point of view.

Food for thought - maybe there's more to this than is apparent at first glance . . . :hmm::angel:

OTC

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Cheers, OTC. Now, if ye'll excuse me?

John; Get your arse over here and Show Us. I'm not interested in pictures in fora. I'm not interested in your constant, snide emoticons. You seem to have a Problem with me? I have none with myself. You're an hour from me and drive. So; How simple can I make this? Get over here and let's get it on. Or else grow up and get over your frustrations. Plain enough?

" Whaffle Iron "? All we get from you is fora talk, mate. If ye want to slag me and dig at me? COME HERE.

Yes; That IS an open and public challenge. Respond in ye usual maner and I'll go post it under the rifles section for all the Shooting lads to see. Not stuck away down here where ye've sought me out. I've nothing to hide.

Up for it or shut it?

Guest JohnGalway

Don't have a problem with ya at all, actually find your posts very entertaining, besides all the teen angst you went through to get a rifle, all the help ya got, all the talk about shooting XY&Z. Then not so much as a crow to show for it. Methinks it's either a figment of your imagination or it shoots like a shotgun :clapper:

And as for driving to Leitrim, err no thanks, I've better things to do with my time :boxing::clapper:

Oh yeah, edited to add, post away on the shooting forum I don't mind. Might as well post on PW too since I'm there the most ;)

Edited by JohnGalway
Guest JohnGalway

Lol, I'm not really having a go CW. All's I wanted to know was did he ever do anything with the rifle. Heard plenty of talk and promises of pics etc etc and so forth. I know myself and a few others, who I won't name bacause of the mood of this thread, have asked after it before and got one of two types of answers. Either a sob sob one don't ask or I'll throw myself off the nearest bridge or a defensive one, or even no answer at all. I gave Ditch any and all help I could and I was happy to do that and would be happy to do it again. People like to see lads give and be given good advice and like it a lot more to see the results of that, instead of being, I don't know, codded I suppose. I dunno if the high power rifle is referring to me, but I get them with the shottie and .22lr as well as well as the snare, so I ain't a one trick pony :thumbs:

who me? I'm always friendly, look at my smiley face :)