Female Harris And Hares

Anybody who has read my birds diary will know that i recently had to part with my male harris, anyway ive recently aquired a female harris who has yet to be entered or shown game. Now obviously to fly a male on hares is a bad idea and even a female can be dangerous, but know ive got a female it may be a possibility, has anyone ever flown a female harris at hares and how successful were you? Ive some mates thats flown them for years with the females and done really well

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a pic from today

had me first cock pheasant today with this female

Im not starting her mate, shes unflown and has bad feather damage, all she is doing is getting fat and moulting lol. Im meaning for the start of next season

Posted Images

Mines tried to fly after a couple but wind swept her away, I'm having a hard enough time finding sheltered valleys and woodland to fly her on rabbits never mind hares in the open. If you have mates that are already doing it then your sorted.

• Like 1

Ive got mates that have done it in the past but mostly on the lamp. Im not really bothered about flying them all the time because the numbers just aren't there for me to do it. But id like to get one with the new female just so i have done it lol. Ive got a carcass to fly he on come the season, i need to get a few more to fees her on during the moult, top food for them

Ye we killed one today with some foetuses inside. Wasnt intentional but it happened none the less, thats why i have the carcass now. Hoping to get 2 or 3 more though so i have some to feed and drag for her to try switch her onto them, shes smashing any carcasses im dragging around so the signs of a good hunting bird looks good

Edited by youcanthide...BANG

I would say your long term success at Hares will be based more on your speed at running than your hawks footing ability........are you very fat? Lol

I went on a couple of field meets with the south easy falconry club, a guy there, Bob.W has a well known hare hawk........I went twice in January, fist time I went, his female harris caught 3 January hares, the second time she caught two......the rest of the field were other female Harris's, a large female gos & a golden eagle......none of these caught anything, despite many hares flown & contact by each & much running by the falconers......this bird didn't just catch theses hares....she wrapped them up like rabbits.....

The funny thing is.....contrary to what rubbish some people talk about having to fly/lamp during the week to justify the birds existence, this bird was only flown once a week, at the most twice & she was a phenomenal hare hawk........but only flown at hares.....no following on etc

It is thought that the female harris is better than the female gos, due to the different footing styles, the harris locking on with the first contact, but the gos attempting to change position, thus losing more in the process......I've witnessed this with the different males & rabbits...........the male harris getting dragged round much more then the gos, but ultimately the gos being more successful..........but maybe not when it comes to hares.

Good luck with the female mate.......it will be nice to bag a Hare once in a while.....:-)

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 2
No im not a fat b*****d, id put a wippet to shame lol, i will be running as soon as i slip, if the hawk doesnt catch it i will give it a go hahah.

Ive heard great things about the south east falconry club and what they do. Like i said im not bothered about majour number just one would do me.

I cant believe it only gets flown once a week though, it might be a phenomenal hare hawk but to only fly a bird once a week is wrong in my book, especially with a bird as intelligent as a harris

• Like 1

I'd have to agree with you.....that if you can, then you should fly more than once.........but the point was really what can be achieved when you have limited time......

Bob.W at that time mainly hunted at field meets only, hence the 1 or 2 times a week.............what was even more mental, is the fact that he didn't trade off when the bird caught.........he was unpicking the birds talons off the hare!! It go's against every thing you learn or think is right lol.........but still this hawk is one of the best hare hawks out there.......

• Like 1

For me this season hasn't been about if my hawk can do ok when I can get her out hunting. Taken on the right land with stuff to fly at and we end up having an enjoyable few hours. However having lost so many days to bad weather I haven't been able to do enough hunting to satisfy me. So I've found the issue isn't so much if a hawk can be looked after, kept fit etc with limited hunting but more that with all the lost days I'm not happy. I want to go hunting as much as possible, I expected to have given lamping a proper go but every time the moon has waned away the wind has been gale force, I've taken days off work mid week and then sat at home at the weekends watching rain batter off the windows and the wind bending the trees outside, it's a depressing time. I wouldn't be surprised if many lads with hawks haven't turned to drink and Prozac to get them through the last few months lol.

If every winter was like this one Im not sure I'd keep a hawk, spending so much time sat in an aviary just seems pointless.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...