• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 Lab

Lab

Wasnt the carling....it was the tennents and the scrumpy.honest

• Donator
  • 23,645 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:44 am

What are you going to do with all your land then Lab? Rent it off?

Got a lassie with horses taking it...:-)
  • STRANGER likes this

#62 The reaper

The reaper

Born Hunter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:04 pm

I would love to be a keeper work the land well it's all I've ever wanted just never had the chance the country life for me anyday if I had the money I'd pay to keep haha

#63 turnerboi

turnerboi

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:27 am

So why didn't you take steps to follow your dream

#64 wilbur foxhound

wilbur foxhound

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:57 pm

Perthshire keeper what was the name of the estate you were on,it sounds familiar,atb wf

#65 perthshire keeper

perthshire keeper

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,407 posts
  • Location:was cumbria home of the mighty now perthshire home of the strange

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:25 pm

Perthshire keeper what was the name of the estate you were on,it sounds familiar,atb wf

do you know blackford farms estate? do you know braco castle estate? well the one inbetween them two

#66 gonetoearth

gonetoearth

Extreme Hunter

• Banned
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:59 pm

Two jobs. Up for grabs at abbeysted lancs. In the ST i see

#67 tatsblisters

tatsblisters

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:34 pm

Wanted to be a keeper [BANNED TEXT] i was very young and at ayoung age got talking to the keeper who Barry Hines baised his book and film about and he put me off as he seemed bitter about the way he had been treat and he had become a jehovas witness.

#68 nothernlite

nothernlite

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 13,784 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:38 pm

do you know blackford farms estate? do you know braco castle estate? well the one inbetween them two

Use to ferret at braco years ago 

#69 perthshire keeper

perthshire keeper

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,407 posts
  • Location:was cumbria home of the mighty now perthshire home of the strange

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:37 am

Wanted to be a keeper [BANNED TEXT] i was very young and at ayoung age got talking to the keeper who Barry Hines baised his book and film about and he put me off as he seemed bitter about the way he had been treat and he had become a jehovas witness.

a lot of ex keepers i know regret goint into keepering....my old head keeper did. and a fair few are bitter about it all..

I ... like many think the golden days of keepering are gone..

• Phil Lloyd likes this

#70 danw

danw

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:20 am

a lot of ex keepers i know regret goint into keepering....my old head keeper did. and a fair few are bitter about it all..

I ... like many think the golden days of keepering are gone..

Truth is the halcyon days of keepering ended in the 70's as soon as commercial shooting,bag and shot expectations and the new breed of uber-rich with "new money" became the vouge then keepering and its associated pressures where set to change for the worst.

• perthshire keeper likes this

#71 gonetoearth

gonetoearth

Extreme Hunter

• Banned
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:50 pm

There are still proper estates and. Keepers out there , then theres chickenfarmers
  • MIK and STRANGER like this

#72 shovel leaner

shovel leaner

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:38 pm

I am the classic poacher turned gamekeeper .I had always been into terriers ferrets and running dogs and snared longnetted and caught things in every manner possible . I then got roped into beating on a local estate and i was hooked . Got a spaniel then another then another before i knew it i was picking up as many days as i could . Then i started helping the local keeper on the rearing field / gamefarm . I never thought about keepering for a living , i didnt think it would pay . Then one day the keeper says "if this job come up would you be interested ?" I said if i could make it pay ,cos ive got a mortgage . That was in 2007 the old keeper retired and ive been doing the job since and i love it , good family to work for , moneys not bad , im me own boss , outside all day doing what i love . I work as a keeper full time for 7 months and do building work for the other 5 . On a shoot this size it wont pay fulltime but i wouldnt swap places with anyone . My only regret is i didnt go into it younger .
  • Phil Lloyd and gonetoearth like this

#73 terryd

terryd

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:39 pm

There are still proper estates and. Keepers out there , then theres chickenfarmers

Think I worked for a chicken farmer then lol we just used to churn out chicks to box up and send off to the various shoots 

#74 gonetoearth

gonetoearth

Extreme Hunter

• Banned
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:44 pm

Think I worked for a chicken farmer then lol we just used to churn out chicks to box up and send off to the various shoots
. No bud your a game farmer. Honourable profession

#75 wilbur foxhound

wilbur foxhound

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:38 pm

would that be for Spurway,wf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users