So You Want To Be A Keeper???

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well ive wanted to be a keeper for a long time since about 10 year old   so i went to newton rigg and done very well best attendance record in the history of the course ect ect as part of my cours

I'll have a crack . . .   It was always something I wanted to do when I was a kid. . . same as farming really. But growing up, I was always told not to, for all of the usual reasons . . . and so I f

I think what lads need to realise is that keepering should never be about the sport/shooting you may get but it is all about the sport you provide all the way from the beaters smacking rabbits, to tak

Truth is the halcyon days of keepering ended in the 70's as soon as commercial shooting,bag and shot expectations and the new breed of uber-rich with "new money" became the vouge then keepering and its associated pressures where set to change for the worst.

Dan, do you think the future of driven game shooting is going back to it's roots?

Like you say, the 21stC generation of 'new money' miliionaires who only know about profit margins and risk management have a very different attitude to the 'old money' landed gentry who kept a shooting or/and hunting estate as a matter of prestige to entertain friends and associates socially.

The economics of running an estate for commercial shooting seems to be getting harder to sustain and justify with many shoots closing down because of this? Maybe the old days are the future?

• Like 1

The problem is mate the world has changed, keepers are an anachronism and it is time for us to evolve, I can reminisce and look back with rose tinted glasses but the future holds a very different life for us, Health and safety,cost saving,budgets,accounts,time and motion studies are now the norm for keepers and that is not going to change any time soon.

Truth be told we need to encourage any and all investment into the industry, the"new money" brings new challenges and for shoots to survive its the keeper who has to adapt, our customers/employers have different priorities now, sport seems to come as a secondary consideration to the accounts perhaps those shoots that have closed do so not because the figures don't add up but because the keepers can't or won't make them add up?

All that said there are some of us who are still employed by those men who love the sport and as such money rarely comes into the conversation long may that continue :thumbs:

• Like 3

Wanted to be a keeper [bANNED TEXT] i was very young and at ayoung age got talking to the keeper who Barry Hines baised his book and film about and he put me off as he seemed bitter about the way he had been treat and he had become a jehovas witness.

a lot of ex keepers i know regret goint into keepering....my old head keeper did. and a fair few are bitter about it all..

I ... like many think the golden days of keepering are gone..

He was from the supposedly golden age of keepering and did not take to well to doffing his cap and only speak [BANNED TEXT] spoken to .Most of the keepers i know who have made a good job out of it and made it finacialy profitable to themselfs went into the job with the intention of wat they themselfs could get out of it and not just to work for some one however one did make the nationals some years back when keepering up scotland ran of and left his wife for the lady of the manor lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't normally come on here, I think it's to do with the stench :laugh: I'm usually a good judge of character but perthshire keeper, after reading your post, I really marked your card wrong mate. Excellent post :thumbs: